Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

Dallas is still far better than Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I fully agree. sometimes you have to paint in broad strokes to get a point across in an abbreviated setting such as this forum. He can't possibly write a short novel about the subtle nuances and neighborhood peculiarities between each metro area. What he said is basically true and applies to about 80% of each metro area. Dallas, Harris, Bexar, and Travis counties all went blue. The suburban counties? not so much - and the metroplex is 70% suburbs. Austin metro is contained within about 3, maybe 4 counties. DFW is contained within at least a dozen. The outlying counties in N. Texas are as red as Santa's suit. The counties around Austin are pretty much redneck but only went GOP by slim margins. The only clearly conservative county was Burnet. Every county around Dallas was hardcore conservative like Burnet county. That speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Dallas is still far better than Austin.
So Austin has a non-existant GLBT community. This does not mean that Austin isn't liberal. If you were disappointed that you didn't find what you were looking for when you were down here, just say it.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
I live in North East Dallas County are and its great here?????

Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
I live in North East Dallas County are and its great here?????

I will agree with the last line of that statement: "?????"

Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM

14 posts, read 33,559 times
Dallas Positives
More tech/software engineer jobs (my boyfriend works in Dallas as a computer programmer)
More jobs in general
Less traffic
Less expensive cost of living in general
More shopping, restaurants, school systems to choose from
Large international airport

Austin Pros
Great laid back culture
Warmer
Live music everywhere

Another thing people don't realize when relocating to Dallas is that when people talk about Dallas, that usually includes all of the surrounding suburbs. The Dallas metroplex is VERY spread out whereas Austin is very close together.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:08 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
So Austin has a non-existant GLBT community. This does not mean that Austin isn't liberal. If you were disappointed that you didn't find what you were looking for when you were down here, just say it.

What???!!! I think artsy is just trying to find an axe to grind. Austin has a huge GLBT community, and I'm not even GLBT!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgrl85 View Post
Dallas Positives
More tech/software engineer jobs (my boyfriend works in Dallas as a computer programmer)
More jobs in general
Less traffic
Less expensive cost of living in general
More shopping, restaurants, school systems to choose from
Large international airport

Austin Pros
Great laid back culture
Warmer
Live music everywhere

Another thing people don't realize when relocating to Dallas is that when people talk about Dallas, that usually includes all of the surrounding suburbs. The Dallas metroplex is VERY spread out whereas Austin is very close together.
Um, let's see. Tech jobs? Maybe a small amount more, but not substantial.

More jobs in general? Sure, that would make sense as Dallas is the 4th largest city in the U.S.

Less traffic? Not even close. While Austin drivers suck, and traffic/road work/design is bad, there simply is no comparison. Dallas has more traffic easily.

Less expensive? Again, not even close. The cost of groceries alone blow this out of the water.

More shopping? Well, again 4th largest city...

Airport? See above

Now about Austin:

Not that laid back, and in some business' like tech...way too laid back.

Warmer? Not by much

Live music everywhere? It cuts both ways, and not all of the live music is good music.

I also would say that while DFW is huge, it's packed in like sardines. Yards are small if at all, there is no real distinction between neighborhoods or sometimes even property. There are horrible construction and implementation of HOV lanes, that really don't alleviate traffic at all.

Austin is also spread out, but it's more N & S versus E & W. The yards are bigger, there is proper fencing, most driveways are accessible, trash is picked up 2x per week, there are multiple competing recycling services.

There are many good and bad points of both towns. Each has it's draw backs and positives. You just have to chose whether you're going to live with 'em or chuck 'em.

While I miss Austin, I am getting used to the DFW area and do like it so far. However, if I were to get a chance to move back to Austin, I think I would take it as it stands right now after only being here 6 months.

Just my $.02

Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
#1. Liberal, likes to be around government, higher education, art, music, cultural, hates Wal-Mart and evil big companies, environmentalist, believes everyone is equal.
This describes much of my Dallas. Although we have some conservatives and more libertarians mixed in (most distrust the government or any authority) - everyone seems to thrive on a diversity of opinions. I don't see too many people getting in a huff because others disagree with them.

And we really hate Wal-Mart, Big Box retailers, chains and franchises.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 PM

Why is shopping and retail considered such a horrible thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
This describes much of my Dallas. Although we have some conservatives and more libertarians mixed in (most distrust the government or any authority) - everyone seems to thrive on a diversity of opinions. I don't see too many people getting in a huff because others disagree with them.

And we really hate Wal-Mart, Big Box retailers, chains and franchises.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM

lol it does?? How would you know. You are NOT gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
What???!!! I think artsy is just trying to find an axe to grind. Austin has a huge GLBT community, and I'm not even GLBT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas