Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,801,703 times

Advertisements

ha ha that is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
There is a cowboy culture in Dallas if you are referring to Dallas Cowboy fans or to the GLBT line dancing at the Roundup Saloon on Cedar Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,283,237 times
Since 1979 I've lived in Dallas or Austin all but about 5 years (Vegas/Boston/Florida), and I think cliches exist because they are true.

I went to SMU and wish I hadn't. I'm sure it's a great school but not so close to home. There are a good many "Fake it 'til ya make it" types in Dallas (Hello, Scottsdale!), but there are also great people, and the Arts District has exploded in the past 5-10 years. Dallas is trying, and succeeding I think, at broadening its cultured self.

I think a lot of my frustrations with D come from the fact that there are now suburbs literally all the way to Oklahoma. Some of my best friends never go south of 121, and they don't have to. It is a horrid trek to try to go out to where the Cowboy Stadium SHOULD be, downtown, and then white knuckle your way home via Central or a nine-dollar tollway run.

Austin - - Austin is so Austin. I love it. I'm in Austin as I write this. Austin is almost militantly Austin, which I also love. It's a loyal city - loyal to itself, if not Texas in general. Hint: don't ever, ever tell anyone from Austin that you are from Dallas. It will not go well.

But when I moved from Austin to Dallas I drove a whole lot more and put on weight. You cannot walk outside in Austin without landing on a greenbelt or a street fair or some live music thing. In that way Austin is my favorite city.

So why am I moving to Oregon? I think it's the heat. Thirty years of the heat. I'm thinking about it right now, dreading it. But if you are just arriving, I would honestly say......

Austin?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,283,237 times
....unless you or more of a Ric Flair type, in which case, dear God almighty, move to Dallas, Texas!

(I think I'm gonna be the guy in Oregon with a Texas Flag hung at the front door. Good Lord.)

Old 04-01-2009, 12:45 AM

There is nothing wrong with Oklahoma in some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Since 1979

I think a lot of my frustrations with D come from the fact that there are now suburbs literally all the way to Oklahoma. Some of my best friends never go south of 121, and they don't have to. It is a horrid trek to try to go out to where the Cowboy Stadium SHOULD be, downtown, and then white knuckle your way home via Central or a nine-dollar tollway run.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 AM

804 posts, read 1,957,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The only thing outdoorsy in Austin are the abundance of cyclists, cycling trails, and a few lush hills. Other than that it has absolutely nothing. More people come across as really unprofessional or poorly trained there too.
I'd agree, but the disgusting level of cronyism seen in Dallas businesses is just as unprofessional Not to mention, if one wants a job there, it requires attending the "right" church, living in the "right" neighborhood, driving the "right" car, wearing the "right" label, graduating from the "right" school, knowing the "right" people... see a pattern?

Austin does have plenty of parks, pools and lakes. The most amazing ones are a few miles outside of town.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 15,557 times
I grew up in Dallas and went to college in Austin for 2 years. Both cities are WONDERFUL to visit, but Dallas is the better place to live, in my opinion. People in Austin weren't nearly as cool and friendly as in Dallas. I actually moved out of Austin and transffered to the University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS-- the perfect college town...) because I couldn't stand the segregation between the social classes and how much they all look down on eachother in ATX. In Dallas there is extreme ethnic diversity, and EVERYONE is willing to get to know you and gets a long with each other surprisingly well. Different races, languages, classes, religions, careers, life styles, etc. are in every area and coexist. Austin is of course a bit more scenic and is significantly smaller than Dallas, thus making outdoor activity more accessable. And it has great local bands and venues/bars. However, Dallas has these things scattered through out the city, in pretty much every area. And if youre into outdoor activities, Dallas has more miles bike, lake, and running trails than any city in Texas, and they wind and cut through out the city all the way to the suburbs to the north and south. It is also the fastest growing city/metro area in the country because of its recession-proof economy, so if you're looking to make money, choose Dallas. If you're looking to start or raise a family, choose Dallas. If you're into sports, choose Dallas. If you're into having a lot of options, choose Dallas. Just choose Dallas, I promise...

Oh, and if music festivals like ACL are the only things convincing you to choose Austin, just remember that it is only a three hour drive (two and a half if you drive fast and I-35 is clear). And you'll have plenty of money that you made in Dallas to fund you're trip to the three day festival. Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 PM

I never said Dallas was perfect. When I visited there I thought it was far better than the "weirdness" of Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
I'd agree, but the disgusting level of cronyism seen in Dallas businesses is just as unprofessional Not to mention, if one wants a job there, it requires attending the "right" church, living in the "right" neighborhood, driving the "right" car, wearing the "right" label, graduating from the "right" school, knowing the "right" people... see a pattern?

Austin does have plenty of parks, pools and lakes. The most amazing ones are a few miles outside of town.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Great post. Dallas has music festivals too. Don't forget that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyneman View Post
I grew up in Dallas and went to college in Austin for 2 years. Both cities are WONDERFUL to visit, but Dallas is the better place to live, in my opinion. People in Austin weren't nearly as cool and friendly as in Dallas. I actually moved out of Austin and transffered to the University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS-- the perfect college town...) because I couldn't stand the segregation between the social classes and how much they all look down on eachother in ATX. In Dallas there is extreme ethnic diversity, and EVERYONE is willing to get to know you and gets a long with each other surprisingly well. Different races, languages, classes, religions, careers, life styles, etc. are in every area and coexist. Austin is of course a bit more scenic and is significantly smaller than Dallas, thus making outdoor activity more accessable. And it has great local bands and venues/bars. However, Dallas has these things scattered through out the city, in pretty much every area. And if youre into outdoor activities, Dallas has more miles bike, lake, and running trails than any city in Texas, and they wind and cut through out the city all the way to the suburbs to the north and south. It is also the fastest growing city/metro area in the country because of its recession-proof economy, so if you're looking to make money, choose Dallas. If you're looking to start or raise a family, choose Dallas. If you're into sports, choose Dallas. If you're into having a lot of options, choose Dallas. Just choose Dallas, I promise...

Oh, and if music festivals like ACL are the only things convincing you to choose Austin, just remember that it is only a three hour drive (two and a half if you drive fast and I-35 is clear). And you'll have plenty of money that you made in Dallas to fund you're trip to the three day festival. Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,982,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyneman View Post

I'm calling BS on this one. Let me pack in the points and apologize for poor syntax later. first off, 35 is backed up to Waco during ACL or SXSW. You want to pay $200+ a night to stay at a seedy motel during these events as well? be my guest, you're glossing over how accessable this town is during these events. I lived in Dallas for 30 years, and Austin for the last 2. My only regret is that I didn't move here sooner. I live 5 miles from downtown with a permanent forest in my back yard with hills backing up to a creek - can you tell me where you get that in Dallas for less than 250K? You can't. I get paid just as much here as I did in Dallas. Austin is a better place to raise a family, unless you want your kids to grow up fat and worshipping money, then raise them in Dallas. Dallas beats Austin in outdoor activity? - what planet are you from? The options in Dallas are proportional to the population: more options=more expensive=more crowded=more miles on the car to get to them. There is no place in Austin where you have to "beat the crowds", unless it's ACL or SXSW, where people from Houston and Dallas clog the city and pay $200+ for the motels here. I still love the cowboys, but now I can "just remember that it is only a three hour drive (two and a half if you drive fast and I-35 is clear)" to purchase a $300 ticket for the game. There are things about Dallas, that are better than Austin, but I reject the "Dallas is unanimously better in every single way" argument your posing.

Last edited by jobert; 04-01-2009 at 04:19 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM

2,897 posts, read 3,477,041 times
The housing stock is more affordable than Austin and the economy is somewhat more diverse. Dallas is better for those reasons in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas