Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 PM

72 posts, read 309,459 times

Advertisements

So, here I am, a transplant from Maryland. Three weekends ago, I got out my trusty Scott's spreader and put down the good ol' Turf Builder with weed control in both the front and backyard of my newly acquired home. Now, having used this stuff in the past, I typically remember seeing some results (greening of grass, dying of weeds) within a week or two. It's been nearly a month and there's not a shred of difference. (It didn't get worse either...just looks like I didn't do a darn thing to it.) It's a tad embarrassing since a few of my neighbors came out to say "hi" and pat me on the back for getting all that exercise. (Apparently, exercise was all I got since the fertilizer didn't do a darn bit of good.) Does Texas grass prefer another type of fertilizer? I followed all the steps (watering beforehad, etc. ) so I'm not faulting Scott's...just wondered if TX lawns like some sort of other treat to get them jumpstarted?

Now, down the street, several houses down, one of neighbors has a lawn that's been perpetually green and lush throughout the winter and looks fantastic. How the heck are they doing that? I've yet to meet them, but am thinking that I may need to stop by and compliment them on their wonderful lawn! (And, hopefully, glean a tip or two as well!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,088 times
well...what kind of grass do you have???

Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,072 times
If you want green grass in the winter, you have to toss down Winter Rye Grass seed. It's a fine blade annual cool-weather grass that you get to water and mow all winter long (can you tell that doesn't thrill me?). Our warm weather grass is just starting to green up. Make sure you're watering properly (not too often, go for a deep watering instead of watering every day). Since our ground has a lot of clay (meaning water doesn't penetrate fast) - instead of running each zone for 15-20 minutes like I see lots of folks doing... and watching most of their water run off, into the street, then down a drain, I run three cycles on the days I water. Each cycle is only 5 minutes long, separated by an hour. That way, a lot more of my "15 minutes of watering" gets into the soil instead of down the drain.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2one View Post
Now, down the street, several houses down, one of neighbors has a lawn that's been perpetually green and lush throughout the winter and looks fantastic. How the heck are they doing that? I've yet to meet them, but am thinking that I may need to stop by and compliment them on their wonderful lawn! (And, hopefully, glean a tip or two as well!)
They probably seeded with winter ryegrass - the typical Texas lawn is either bermudagrass or st. augustine, either of which will go dormant over the winter and are just starting to green up. You might need to follow the weed/feed with a dose of straight fertilizer next month, as the amount of nitrogen put down with your weed/feed is pretty small.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Mid to late April is when most lawns really start turning green. And many fertilizers have time released granules that take a while to work. But when they do, they will keep your lawn green longer. Or of course you could have other problems holding your lawn back such as thatch, etc..

Be patient.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Your going to have to be patient. I still have some trees in yard that have not leafed out. My prized Japanese Maple is just starting to bud out.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Yep. For winter green grass...Rye. For your spring grass, the soil temp needs to warm up before any dormant grass (bermuda, as St. Augustine will start reviving earlier) will start to "awaken".

Be patient. The time is near, but stay on those weeds. If you don't get most of them now, they'll be hell during Summer.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:28 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
I would not use a fertilizer with weed control. It can damage your shrubs & trees. If you need weed control you can use a broad leaf weed spray or some of the other appropriate sprays.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
cool nights impede grass growing--nights have really been too cool until about a week or so ago--and with this cool front the grass will be dormant for while--until it stays warm at night for several days in row...
in this area the pecan tree will be the last to bud out leaves and there is never usually a frost after that--down south it is mesquite usually--

our grass (Bermuda) is starting to get green and some yards i walk past have st augustine that is greening up...
some weeds will die out when heat comes in summer but most--like nettles and dallas grass--are here to stay--you can spray them and they just ignore it--mine did...

it is really better to dig them up if you can--getting grass to grow over the dead weeds is sometimes a losing proposition...

I have had winter rye and hate it--the grass stains so much more readily than other summer grasses and (to me) just makes something for the summer grass to compete with--
it does look nice from distance but lots of times the seed was not spread that heavily and it grows in clumps--it can also bring in weeds with the seeds if you don't get a quality brand...

Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I used to love winter rye! My lawn looked so good in the late winter/early Spring season. Some like it, some don't want to bother with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas