Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 27,991 times

Advertisements

oh boy ...never in my life i have been so confused wheather to buy a town home or a single family home...have read so many threads that i m more confused.....

somebody has to answer this question....plz 'caz dh does not want to buy a home with lot of work....and so townhome appeals to him and here i m thinking what if townhomes r a good idea or what?

we live in irving and we have checked out couple of townhomes in coppell area and many homes throughtout las colinas, valeyranch, coppell.....

also do townhomes sell quickly like single family homes.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 03:12 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
Townhomes are actually pretty popular if you buy them in desirable areas. I know the ones in Frisco along the tollway are selling quickly (DR Horton is the builder). Now if you buy a townhome in a less expensive area where the homes are more affordable, then you may have problems selling because detached homes have a larger market than condos.

If you can go as far east as West Plano, there are some nice little apartment conversion townhomes by me on Preston/Park in the Willowbend area. Low 200s I believe.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 PM

46 posts, read 438,540 times
Actually I looked at those conversions...and they are not really that nice. I walked through the open houses and I was not impressed. For that amount of money....it was quite crappy. (It wasn't crappy, they are nice....but for the money they are asking, they are crappy) Was that clear...sorry?

The other question you asked was resale value...townhomes do not appreciate as fast as single family homes. It depends on your lifestyle and what you like. It is definitely low maint. and the HOA takes care of your outside structure, roof...etc. I would say not to break the bank on purchasing a townhome in DFW...they are not VERY popular but there is a niche market...but most families prefer to buy a single family...and it is very doable here.

I would specificallyl think about a townhome as a single, small kids, couple, empty nesters and/or you want to spend more time away/travelling/going out than taking care of the lawn, roof, etc. etc. And you like to apartment community feeling but not the apartment part of that community :-)

Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
I agree that those conversions are not that 'eventful'.

In San Diego, they'd sell like hotcakes, but here in Dallas there is just so much to choose from that they lose their luster. I especially didn't like the grounds. There simply is not enough open space in that development and it feels like the development itself sits ON Preston road. I live in the apartments behind them and it's another world, just a few feet away. If my apartments were conversions, then I'd jump on them....but the other places are lacking for sure. However, fantastic location.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 27,991 times
thanks guys...but we live in valleyranch area and my husband travels to fortworth and i wk in irving...so we saw these townhomes in bedford..

Old 04-11-2007, 02:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
If you look at historical sales, townhomes/condos are cyclical just like single family homes, but usually see more dramatic swings. When they're hot... they're hot... when they're not... you don't want to be selling one.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:59 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
If you can get a 'fee simple' townhome where you own the land in front and back and nobody is above or below you, it's better. But you still have to deal with assessments and the townhome association.

As a Real Estate Broker of 25 years, I would say that buying a single family is the best investment. But if you don't care about the money and the townhome lifestyle is more attractive, I say go ahead. But don't plan on selling anytime soon.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:43 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Why is the townhome market so flat? I would think that people would be jumping to move closer to the city.

Back in Washington, they were going for over a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: