Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
Glad to hear Houston was the FIRST to built a freeway...shows how old their structures are.
You're kidding right? Houston has Dallas beat on modern freeway designs, Dallas has Houston beat on mass transit. Simple as that.

Recently completed in late 2008 & at 24 lanes wide its the widest stretch of freeway in the US for a sustained distance.

http://www.katyfreeway.org/

Dallas freeways such as Stemmons & 635 are a joke. I never could understand those "open" HOV lanes in Dallas. Stupidest idea ever.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-11-2009 at 12:14 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 12:39 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Or maybe the person visited or lived in the city when it was far more conservative. Dallas wasn't always very progressive. Dallas aside north texas is still very conservative.

I've heard people say nasty things about the conservative christian vibe in Houston too.

It all depends on what circles of people you are forced to be involved with is what I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Well, it's nice to see that you have quit claiming that Dallas is majority S. Baptist Evangelical and anti-gay since you could not come up with any statistical evidence on your previous rants. However, you're bias still shines through. It's obvious that you have an ax to grind because of whatever negative experience(s) you had in Dallas. You still extrapolate those negatives from your limited experience here and apply them to all things Dallas. You obviously didn't get out much while you were here. Perhaps you are blaming Dallas for something that you can not accept about yourself?
Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-11-2009, 01:05 AM

Houston is located right at the very edge of the Bible Belt, where Dallas is smack dab in the center.

Dallas used to be a very conservative town, nowadays not so much. Both cities are what I would consider to be moderate to mildly Liberal. Heck even Austin is not considered as Liberal as places on the East & West Coasts. I would even venture to say Louisiana as a whole is far more Liberal than most of Texas. You can buy alcohol anytime of the day over there & the clubs don't have that stupid 2 am last call.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:15 PM

342 posts, read 685,412 times
i was saying have a good work out plan to battle against eating all that good food in houston. since there are so many diff type of places in houston, not against bullets. trust me i know im a houston product i know i use to live in greenspoint back in the early 90's when it was called gunpoint. then moved to hiram clarke during its high peak in crime so i seen and know alot about houston crime. houston crimnals are more barbaric than dallas criminals and i know for a fact houston has more.366+ homocides are alot compared to dallas 165+ homocides and thats not counting the cooking of the books that hpd is doing.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:34 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It all depends on what circles of people you are forced to be involved with is what I say.
Exactly! If this person was hanging around with backwards people, then that says more about him/her than it does about Dallas.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
i was saying have a good work out plan to battle against eating all that good food in houston. since there are so many diff type of places in houston, not against bullets. trust me i know im a houston product i know i use to live in greenspoint back in the early 90's when it was called gunpoint. then moved to hiram clarke during its high peak in crime so i seen and know alot about houston crime. houston crimnals are more barbaric than dallas criminals and i know for a fact houston has more.366+ homocides are alot compared to dallas 165+ homocides and thats not counting the cooking of the books that hpd is doing.
Houston had worse crime than Dallas years ago, then things got better for a while till Katrina evacuees arrived, now its leveled of somewhat that those bad elements have since moved back to NOLA or been put behind bars in Texas.

Dallas crime now is a lot worse than Houston's. DPD & the whole city government is a circus. DISD is a disgrace.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Sometimes you are forced to work with backward people. You can't control or choose the people that live in your apartment complex or neighborhood either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Exactly! If this person was hanging around with backwards people, then that says more about him/her than it does about Dallas.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:33 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIASLTX View Post
htown (htown metro area) is def more diverse (people, socio-eco, eduation choices ) when that's wot u r looking for in a city. dtown is more conservative (read old money stimes = old thinkg [mabe dats wot dey want to keep out rif! lol]). watch out for dtown exits, it's rite on u w/very little warning b4 hand!

According to the last election Dallas seems to be more liberal than Houston. Obama won Dallas County quite handley and Obama won Harris county by 1 percentage point so your claim is false about Dallas being more conservative than Houston.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:40 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post

The point i'm trying to make is that you can't know the real crime statistics soley based on what's in front of your face. Just because it didn't hit you or come as close to you when you lived in Dallas does not mean that there aren't other areas that are bad like Houston's. Also, where are your sources for this information you're throwing out there?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
According to the last election Dallas seems to be more liberal than Houston. Obama won Dallas County quite handley and Obama won Harris county by 1 percentage point so your claim is false about Dallas being more conservative than Houston.
Houston has not had a Republican mayor ever since I can remember, Dallas has had many with Laura Miller being the last one to serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas