Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 PM

50 posts, read 158,398 times

Advertisements

Ok, I see there is Lifetime Fitness, 24 Hr Fitness, Gold's Gym, LA Fitness, etc. Likes and dislikes? Given the competitiveness of the market, I'm guessing the pricing is similar across the clubs. Is that correct?

Which one do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 PM

625 posts, read 1,955,679 times
well, Lifetime fitness is rather expensive, but gives you the most amenities. Most people here love lifetime fitness (as many posters here do), I hate it.

24 fitness and gold's gym are very similar in pricing. Gold's doesn't force you to sign a contract. The facilities at both places are comparable, but not as good as lifetime (by a lot).

No clue about LA Fitness.

Most important thing though, is to pick a gym that's really close to you, so you're more inclined to go!!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,126 times
TXgolfer....I think I read on one of your post you are in Mckinney??/ Cooper is offering a free 2 weeks pass and I just heard from a friend of mine they are wiving the 'joining fee'. Local Y's are also super groovy!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,036 times
I go to an LA Fitness in Lake Highlands. It is a great club, very clean, and the kids' area is great. It is actually the nicest gym I've belonged to.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 PM

50 posts, read 158,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
TXgolfer....I think I read on one of your post you are in Mckinney??/ Cooper is offering a free 2 weeks pass and I just heard from a friend of mine they are wiving the 'joining fee'. Local Y's are also super groovy!
No, I'm in North Dallas near the Tollway and Briargrove.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:32 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
Absolutely...Cooper's is an awesome facility and the amenities are first rate. I can't believe the things you get standard as part of your membership. They are a little "scientology" w/ Dr. Cooper's methodology, but not pushy or weird in any way. There are free pod-casts, cooking classes/seminars, pool (that comes w/ clubs/teams/lessons) as part of the membership or for a very minimal fee (ex. $10/12-14 lessons).

You have access to your personal trainer and access to ALL trainers that are on the floor...FOR FREE...as part of your membership.

There really is a positive and motivating atmosphere at Coopers. I really like it, and if you've got kids...it just gets better. I give it a 9.5/10.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:43 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Has anyone tried the new Equinox? Hey it's north of downtown.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:58 PM

434 posts, read 1,481,576 times
la fitness, lifetime and cooper are in the same price range.
cooper is nicer if you ask me for the pricier membershis. Not as crowded and nicer amenities.

if you are a road warrior you will get your best value out of 24hr fitness. They are spread throughout the metroplex.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,415,733 times
Cooper has been there for years, and is extremely highly rated by everyone I've ever talked to about it.

I'd go with that, but Lifetime is very nice as well.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 PM

133 posts, read 514,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Has anyone tried the new Equinox? Hey it's north of downtown.
I tried it for a week. I was the youngest person there (late 20s) other than people's kids. Everyone is already in shape there so it's by no means a gym you want to go to if you're out of shape as it could be very intimidating. I did, however, manage to meet some good cougars there, so if that's your thing, by all means...

I've also tried Larry North, Baylor's Tom Landry Center and Premier Place (Lifetime Fitness, but an Onyx club). I ended up signing up at Premier Place as it's extremely clean, has great amenities and lots of friendly, well to do people. The classes are included in membership costs and they have great trainers there.

In terms of cost, here's approximates for single memberships:
Equinox: $120
Premier Place: $90
Tom Landry: $97, but they offer lots of discounts if you live in the area
Larry North Highland Park - $75
LA Fitness should be ~$30, $35 if you get the towel service that is offered at some clubs
24 hour fitness should be $25 with no commitment but you can always buy a 2 year pass from Costco for $239.99
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas