Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 PM

82 posts, read 280,043 times

Advertisements

We are trying to buy a home in Allen. Our previous home was a condo in Southern California and 1313 square feet. We are both empty nestors but would like to make our home (when we buy it) the most enjoyable as possible. We are figuring on about 1,460 square feet this time. I searched on the Internet for information on home improvements that would increase our property taxes like room additions (we assumed that) but what other kind of improvements might influence our taxes? What about patios? screened porches? improvements to the inside of our house.

Please help.

Thank you,
Bird Lover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 16,251 times
Moving from California to Texas is quite an adjustment I myself moved here from San Clemente awhile back. Most improvements that have really raised my property value without raising my taxes are cosmetic and outdoor. I've found that things like updated and unique landscapes can really boost your home's value. Finding the right people to do the work is one of the hardest parts of this process. I've done my research let me know if you need any suggestions.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,030 times
Default Re:

Short answer: Permit pull = tax increase.

Any interior renovation (painting, flooring replacement, cabinet upgrade) that does not require pulling a permit will almost certainly go unnoticed by the tax assessor.

Exterior work such as landscaping also will probably not be assessed.

The main things that will set off the taxman's alarm are a room addition or adding a pool.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 AM

If we get the house that I think we may, it doesn't even have a patio so definitely want to put something in. My husband is thinking of a sunroom and I am a of a screened in porch. A sunroom might be a room addition? What about a screened in porch? Worse comes to worse a modest but pretty patio?

Also, would like to change the bathtub to a garden tub with that has a built in safety bar?

Any other ideas to how extend our living areas? I hope to organize the inside of the house the best as possible. At our condo in CA, I had to keep my music collection packed, oh how I missed that! Have everything from records, tapes and CDs and would like to play them.

Yes, it is an adjustment. But then, I felt like I was going through culture shock when I moved from Indiana to Los Angeles County, later when we moved to Orange County, missed the cultural diversity but enjoyed the parks much more. Every place is different.

James88, we used to go to San Clemente, San Juan Caspistrano for fun, antique shopping, good Chinese restaurants and unique garden shops. Any great places like that you can recommend?

Bird Lover

Thank you,
Bird Lover

Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 AM

6,801 posts, read 14,023,558 times
You would need to check the City of Allen website for things that would require a permit. Like stated if it requires a permit you will be taxed for it more than likely. Another thing you need to be aware of is if your neighborhood has a HOA. They will also have alot of input as to what or what you cannot due. You would need to check the bylaws. Outdoor space is great. I did a outdoor kitchen last year and I am currently working on a sunroom. I can't wait until it is finished.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Thank you very much for the information. I love being outdoors also.

Bird Lover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas