Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times

Advertisements

apparently it's not uncommon for high schools in the Miami area to have "pull up your pants day":

It's 'Pull Up Your Pants Day' at a Fla. high school - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

It could become a national holiday. yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Austin is a horrible city. Boring, slow, country, and political double speak rules with an iron fist there.

Dallas is like you described. Huge and bustling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoe View Post
Hello all, I'm new to the forums and very glad I found it as I have read alot of positive and constructive posts and this is my first time posting. Please bare with my post if it seems long I could really use the advise of the people here.

I am an authorized candidate for agency opening in the State Farm agency pool. Based on today's economy and State Farm Florida pulling out of Florida (no more homeowners insurance is going to be written) There are going to be no more new independant State Farm offices opened in Florida.

To my point, I have visited Dallas and I have visited Houston, but I have not yet visited Austin.

Dallas being my first visit was a very positive suprise, I found it to be a very bustling metropolitan city just like my home of Miami. I know it might sound weird but i'm 28 and all I've ever known is the Miami/New York City life style and while I like it alot and could see myself in a slower pace. I don't think Id adapt well to a complete 180degree change into a "country or slow pace lifestyle"

Houston was "ok" just seemed very spread out and just "did'nt do it for me I guess"

I've always heard nothing but Great things about Austin, as a matter of fact when I was in Dallas and Houston meeting people they would always ask me, "have you gone to austin yet? you would love it"

Doing some of my research and asking the people that I know in Dallas they tell me Austin is definately no miami because Dallas is'nt even there yet, and it might not ever be.

Why am I considering Austin over my initial thought of Dallas? Well here is the question that I have for y'all (LOL, practicing)

Dallas from a new insurance office standpoint might be much more saturated of a market with not as much possibility for growth, where as Austin (based off the research done by the numbers of state farm associates that I have, not people that live there) is much more of a safe bet.

In conclusion and this I hope you've read along so far is one very important point. The reason that the recruiters want me so much for the Texas market is because I am Bi-lingual (English,Spanish)

I know that out of 133 State farm offices in Austin only 6 of them are Spanish speaking, (I do not have those numbers for Dallas yet unfortunately)

Based off what i've read about both cities, although I have not visited Austin I think I'd prefer Dallas, but if the opportunity for growth is much more exponential in Austin I think Austin will have to do. If I have a relatively small disadvantage opening a new bi-lingual insurance in office Dallas as opposed to Austin I think Id prefer Dallas.

I'm not asking for any specific answers to a specific question, just that you understand my situation somewhat and try to offer me your honest advise,

Thanks in advance,
Jose

Old 06-17-2009, 01:58 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Austin is a horrible city. Boring, slow, country, and political double speak rules with an iron fist there.

Dallas is like you described. Huge and bustling.
Artsy, if you convince enough people from Miami to move to Dallas, maybe Dallas will become just as awesome:

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ny-better.html

Keep up the good work

Last edited by jobert; 06-17-2009 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM

If he finds peace and happiness in Dallas then that is fantastic.
I'm just making clear to him that Austin is far more laid back and country, some people love it, some people hate it and want to leave it ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Artsy, if you convince enough people from Miami to move to Dallas, maybe Dallas will become just as awesome:

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ny-better.html

Keep up the good work

Old 06-18-2009, 02:01 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Eh, While I think Dallas is faster in pace than Austin. It's not considerable. I find them just nearly about the same. But yes, if you want that big city lifestyle, stay away from Austin and go to Dallas. If you don't mind the laid back attitude, go ahead for Austin. Unlike what some people say, Austin does have a good amount of things to do. If you want the best famous Texas BBQ, Austin is your best bet.

The Hill country is not even close to Dallas btw. People from the actual hill country would call that an insult. They already do not consider Austin in the hill country but they sure as heck wouldn't consider Dallas or anywhere within 50 miles of DFW as hill country.

But you're coming from Miami. I find Miami to have more in common with Houston than Dallas. Where did you go in Houston, if I may ask. Houston is like Miami but spread out. However the tropical feel, the colored homes, the canals, the palm trees, the humidity, the rain, the diversity, the flatness, and more between the two cities are very similar. My Mother born and raised in Miami but now lives in Killeen says she loves to visit Houston because it's pace is just like of Miami and it reminds her of Miami. She dislikes Dallas because she thinks they are a little behind the times at times. Of course, I disagree with her on her assertion because Dallas is a great city in itself. But Houston and Miami are like long lost brothers.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 PM

I was going to say that Houston and Miami are very similar. I don't remember much about Miami but palm trees, humidity, storms, the beach, abundant ethnic diversity is prevalent in Houston like it is Miami.

Is your Mom confusing Fort Worth with Dallas.....I know Fort Worth is a whole lot slower and behind the times than Dallas and Houston.

People say there is a lot to do in Austin but everything consists of eating out, getting drunk, or jumping in the creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Eh, While I think Dallas is faster in pace than Austin. It's not considerable. I find them just nearly about the same. But yes, if you want that big city lifestyle, stay away from Austin and go to Dallas. If you don't mind the laid back attitude, go ahead for Austin. Unlike what some people say, Austin does have a good amount of things to do. If you want the best famous Texas BBQ, Austin is your best bet.

The Hill country is not even close to Dallas btw. People from the actual hill country would call that an insult. They already do not consider Austin in the hill country but they sure as heck wouldn't consider Dallas or anywhere within 50 miles of DFW as hill country.

But you're coming from Miami. I find Miami to have more in common with Houston than Dallas. Where did you go in Houston, if I may ask. Houston is like Miami but spread out. However the tropical feel, the colored homes, the canals, the palm trees, the humidity, the rain, the diversity, the flatness, and more between the two cities are very similar. My Mother born and raised in Miami but now lives in Killeen says she loves to visit Houston because it's pace is just like of Miami and it reminds her of Miami. She dislikes Dallas because she thinks they are a little behind the times at times. Of course, I disagree with her on her assertion because Dallas is a great city in itself. But Houston and Miami are like long lost brothers.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM

24 posts, read 111,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoe View Post
keep reading about these frosted hair tipped guys in dallas. Is that the fad there now? That fad came in went here in Miami for about 3months in what? 91,92? If I were single I guess id feel confident it would be easy to find a girl, as hell would soon freeze over before I frost the tips of my hair. Anyways I'm going to be in dallas from May 13-15 and staying half a mile from the galleria mall. Can anyone recommend me some places to check out in the evening like restaurants or bars nearby where I'll be staying? Thanks
About 1 mile North of the Galleria is an East / West road called Beltline. West of the North Dallas Tollway, it is Restaurant / Bar central for the area. Might try the BlackFinn, large outdoor patio.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 AM

264 posts, read 702,110 times
To the OP on this one. I've lived in Dallas (13 years) and Austin (7 years plus
many visits in the 80's). AUstin is a great town, no matter what some knuckleheads say. It doesn't have as much culturally as Dallas, but the population is a bit less as well. I miss the outdoor activities like the Barton Creek greenbelt and the park system is second to none (at least for Texas). Dallas is alright too, and when we visit I do miss some of the restaurants & taverns we used to visit. The real estate market in Austin is unreal, but comparable homes in comparable areas are roughly the same. Spend some time in Austin, visit the Capital, go to Barton Springs and drive out to the Salt Lick. It's a great place to live and IMO, the best place to raise a family in Texas. We'd still live there if not for my job here in Ft Worth.......whic is another subject altogether.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:28 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I was going to say that Houston and Miami are very similar. I don't remember much about Miami but palm trees, humidity, storms, the beach, abundant ethnic diversity is prevalent in Houston like it is Miami.

Is your Mom confusing Fort Worth with Dallas.....I know Fort Worth is a whole lot slower and behind the times than Dallas and Houston.

People say there is a lot to do in Austin but everything consists of eating out, getting drunk, or jumping in the creek.
lol. I think Austin is for the college or more younger adult crowd. It has it's moments and it is improving. But it's not on Dallas level and most surely agree with that. Personally, I find Austin to small for my liking but I have no problem with it.

As far as Dallas pace, no she specifically said Dallas and I somewhat agree with her. They still wear leather shorts and shags in Dallas. It's very laid back compared to Houston. I find that many Dallasites are not in that hurry attitude at times when I'm there. But I do agree that Fort Worth is much more slower in pace than Dallas. Dallas does have a bustle and ritz about itself. I haven't been there in about five years so maybe that's changed. I also tell my Mom that maybe all of Dallas is not like that because she only knows about the areas of Dallas south of Interstate 30.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Dallas vastly improves every other year or so from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol. I think Austin is for the college or more younger adult crowd. It has it's moments and it is improving. But it's not on Dallas level and most surely agree with that. Personally, I find Austin to small for my liking but I have no problem with it.

As far as Dallas pace, no she specifically said Dallas and I somewhat agree with her. They still wear leather shorts and shags in Dallas. It's very laid back compared to Houston. I find that many Dallasites are not in that hurry attitude at times when I'm there. But I do agree that Fort Worth is much more slower in pace than Dallas. Dallas does have a bustle and ritz about itself. I haven't been there in about five years so maybe that's changed. I also tell my Mom that maybe all of Dallas is not like that because she only knows about the areas of Dallas south of Interstate 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas