Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:06 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Actually getmeoutofhere's former home is located in the Lakewood Country Club Estates Conservation District - of which I was Vice-President when we started it...we were the second conservation district in Texas - we could have been the first but we go tied up with a controversy on enclosing porches. You can alter some of the materials in such districts but the shape, form, height and style must be followed. Unfortunately the Hutsell Spanish-Hollywood style homes farther down Lakewood toward the lake have no protection at all. But I don't think anyone would dare to tear one down lest they risk pitchforks and torches.

It's not been followed with his addition. Facing the house, the addition is on the right side and looks nothing like the original house. It's hideous.

The front porch that was added is nice, but to me the landscaping doesn't match the rest of the neighborhood at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,887 times
DenverAztec - those are gorgeous photos! You gave a great tour of Dallas' finer homes and natural beauty. Thank you!

Oh, the cross between a "duck and a turkey" is called a muscovy duck. Certainly ugly!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It's not been followed with his addition. Facing the house, the addition is on the right side and looks nothing like the original house. It's hideous.

The front porch that was added is nice, but to me the landscaping doesn't match the rest of the neighborhood at all.
OK, but the next step is historic district, which is very hard to pass because they can regulate your paint colors, landscaping, fences etc.

We didn't think we could get that passed as Lakewood people are pretty maverick and independent. For the most part they have respected history and only five new homes have been built on Lakewood in the last 25 years - only one was a tear-down.

I worked on the Junius Heights Historic District and we did get that one passed - but just barely. Some revolted when they found out they couldn't replace their windows. It was the first historic district to pass in Dallas in many, many years. Nobody at city hall or on the plan commission really knew how to work on it -- which also worked to our advantage.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:21 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseale View Post
Thanks for posting the photos. Awesome, as usual! I've been pacing the internet waiting for them.

And, yes, it's heartbreaking how some of the beautiful old homes got torn down to build the McMonstrosities. There are some streets, I just can't drive down anymore, knowing what they used to look like. In high school, I used to babysit for a family that had a beautiful house in Little Forest Hills built in 1929. Some idiot tore it down to put up one of the ugly gigantica houses. I only hope the ghost hung around and haunts the new house!
There are some really horrid McMansions out there and you have to wonder what the owners were thinking. The don't even try to blend in and actually want to be totally opposite anything around them. Their attempt at uniqueness ends up being an eye sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post

When I first saw it, I thought it was a mansion turning into a duplex. I would love to be able to make the owner an offer, buy it, then raze what was added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
DenverAztec - those are gorgeous photos! You gave a great tour of Dallas' finer homes and natural beauty. Thank you!

Oh, the cross between a "duck and a turkey" is called a muscovy duck. Certainly ugly!
I wonder what it tastes like? Sometimes the ugliest creatures taste the best.

Quote:
OK, but the next step is historic district, which is very hard to pass because they can regulate your paint colors, landscaping, fences etc.

We didn't think we could get that passed as Lakewood people are pretty maverick and independent. For the most part they have respected history and only five new homes have been built on Lakewood in the last 25 years - only one was a tear-down.

I worked on the Junius Heights Historic District and we did get that one passed - but just barely. Some revolted when they found out they couldn't replace their windows. It was the first historic district to pass in Dallas in many, many years. Nobody at city hall or on the plan commission really knew how to work on it -- which also worked to our advantage.
That is a great track record for the folks of Lakewood and that probably goes back to what you said about many of the homes still have the original owners or their kids residing in them. How many designated historic districts are there in Dallas?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:27 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:

Well, go to 6748 Lakewood Boulevard and look at the addition and tell me whether or not it matches the rest of the house.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:03 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Great pictures, love this part of Dallas.

Wish someone with better computer and camera skills than me (and more time) would document some of the great historic homes here in McKinney like that.

(Just a little jab at the one that commented "you don't get stuff like this in the suburbs")

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Great pictures, love this part of Dallas.

Wish someone with better computer and camera skills than me (and more time) would document some of the great historic homes here in McKinney like that.

(Just a little jab at the one that commented "you don't get stuff like this in the suburbs")
Next time I visit I will ask again where to go and what to see. Please let me know about McKinney then and I will head over there, as long as it isn't a 2 hours or more drive away. I just took the advice of the forumers who replied to me and did exactly what they recommended. Had to miss the culinary festival downtown due to rain and wind, but saw everything else that was recommended. I am usually there at least once a year!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:14 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Next time I visit I will ask again where to go and what to see. Please let me know about McKinney then and I will head over there, as long as it isn't a 2 hours or more drive away. I just took the advice of the forumers who replied to me and did exactly what they recommended. Had to miss the culinary festival downtown due to rain and wind, but saw everything else that was recommended. I am usually there at least once a year!

McKinney is between 30 and 45 non rush hour mins straight up US 75 (Central Expressway) depending on what part of Dallas you are departing. Exit Louisiana/Virginia and turn right (east), this will take you right in to the historic square.

The best part of the historic district will be on streets running north from Louisiana as you head toward the square, most notably Waddill, College and Church Streets. The quadrant north and west of the square has the best homes, even tho others are sprinkled around to the south and southwest of the square.

I like it because it is an eclectic neighborhood, a grand old victorian will be next to a prairie style next to a pre WWII frame cottage next to a 60s brick ranch.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I thought you might enjoy this Lakewood collage:

Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 PM

I did enjoy that! Thank you Lakewooder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas