Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 25,596 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old female considering moving to an East Dallas apartment. Originally I was going to move to the uptown area, but after seeing an apartment about a block west of Swiss Ave. that was not only much nicer, but also cheaper than the uptown option, I was strongly considering it instead. The apartment itself is very nice, but the area surrounding looks sketchy in parts. Anyone have any opinions or experience regarding this part of town and whether or not it is safe for a 24 year old female? Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen343 View Post
I am a 24 year old female considering moving to an East Dallas apartment. Originally I was going to move to the uptown area, but after seeing an apartment about a block west of Swiss Ave. that was not only much nicer, but also cheaper than the uptown option, I was strongly considering it instead. The apartment itself is very nice, but the area surrounding looks sketchy in parts. Anyone have any opinions or experience regarding this part of town and whether or not it is safe for a 24 year old female? Any help would be much appreciated!
There's a lot of homeless in that area. I know cuz I work at BUMC. There's a bit of rundownedness, and there are some scuzzy apts. I don't get the vibe that it's particularly dangerous, and if you were buying I would totally bet that the area between Lakewood, BUMC, and Downtown is totally going to fill in and come up. I've sat out at that McDonald's and Starbucks and being a fairly streetwise 40 something guy, I've had no issues, but I'm not sure how comfortable a young 20-something female would or should feel there. You'll enjoy your neigborhood much more in Uptown I think.

I would suppose if you're not looking for a sweet neighborhood to stroll to the corner store or bistro. If you're content with driving in and out not walking the streets, then maybe go ahead and save some money. I've lived well in much worse.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 AM

677 posts, read 1,538,034 times
A couple of suggestions,,, contact the Dallas Police Department. Ask about the crime rate for the neighborhood. There are websites that track this info. Ask if there is a neighborhood Crime Watch group. Talk to them.
Drive around the neighborhood. At different times. Go in the evening, during the week. Go on the weekend. Go on Saturday night at 10:00pm. This can tell you a lot.
Do your research and good luck.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Should you develop friendships with other 20 something females in the Uptown area, I wouldn't expect that they would venture to the Swiss/east Dallas area to visit.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:55 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
I agree with Dragonfly8 advice. If your the type of person who likes to do alot of walking around the neighborhood I would suggest uptown. If you do the majority of travel by car the east Dallas area should fit the bill.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
A lot depends on what you are used to. At 24, I would NOT have a problem living there, but I had lived on Federal Hill in Providence; and South Beach before it was gentrified.

Approx what cross street is it? That can matter too. Like if it were Live Oak and Fitzhugh, I might reconsider and double check on secure parking, etc. But if it's Live Oak/Skillman, then no problem. A block west of Swiss can also be Bryan Pkwy which is nice. It really depends.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Check out some of the lofts in DeepEllum. Its relatively safe and has nice unique buildings to live in and still very close to downtown and uptown but for much less $. Also look over near greenville area as well as the lakewood area. I almost moved into a nice condo off Oram street in between skillman and abrams. That area has lots of places to rent that are pretty nice and close to everything. What place exactly are you looking at? What are the cross streets? That area can be hit or miss. On one street you could be standing in front of a 2 million dollar house and one block over you could be standing in front of a ghetto apartment building that costs $250 a month.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 25,596 times
The cross street is Bryan and Live Oak. I have friends in uptown currently, but am not so concered with them visiting. I am just looking to live near the uptown area (which this is within 10 minutes). It would save me about three hundred + a month, and give me about 200 sq. feet more. I know the area is obviously not as nice, I just wonder if crime would be a real threat around there. If I was to come home late a night (driving), if this would be an issue. The parking is covered and gated. Also, does anyone know how the traffic is trying to get to 75 from this area at about 7:15 am? Just trying to get a feel for my commute. Thanks so much!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Thats a good area. Its on the northern side of swiss which is much better than the southern side! You'll be fine there. And its really close to greenville avenue. Greenville is great for going to bars and restaurants.

Drivign to 75 from there at 7:15 am is a breeze. Just drive up henderson for a bit over a mile and your there. It might take 2-3 minutes.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,010 times
That part of East Dallas is high crime, low rent, and run down. But at Live Oak and Bryan, it's not as bad, and it really depends on the complex. Since you are a single woman, I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Check out www.villageapts.com, which are the best bang for the buck for location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas