Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:34 PM

122 posts, read 348,947 times

Advertisements

Ok. I am about to move out onto my own and these are the cheapest apts I found in Mesquite. They are called Town East Apartments on Bamboo St.

Town East Apartments For Rent in Mesquite, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

You can click the bird's eye view to see them. They are on the other side of the 7-11 and across the street from Tradewind Apts.

Rent is 355/month for furnished and they pay water/gas. Now yes, I know they aren't the best around but I'm looking for something to start me out to get me on my own. I don't need luxury right now. I had a friend who lived in the neighborhood behind those apts but I never paid attention to them. Anyone know about them?

Thanks

Last edited by Blackspider; 04-17-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
I know about them a bit. They are low rent, obviously, and come with the normal low rent problems, there will be some crime, some shady characters, keep your doors locked. Basic self-security stuff that if you don't know already, you should learn before you get out on your own ASAP.

There is also a burned down retail building right next door that is in the process of being torn down. The residential neighborhood behind it is not bad, but slowly deteriorating over the years. Most of the homes are kept up okay.

It's a ways away from any shopping, even a grocery store is a couple of miles away. Still, I've stayed in worse places. It's probably a fine start for getting out on your own without breaking your bank. Anything valuable such as a bike or grill you will want to keep locked inside the apartment.

Anytime you stay in any apartments, I recommend *always* carrying some method of self-defense, even if it's just pepper spray everywhere. Know how to use it and stay alert. It goes a long way to making such 'beginner pads' less stressful.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:19 PM

Thanks. Yea I'm familiar with the area and know that area is sketchy, especially Tradewind and Camelot right across the street. I know it's an hispanic dominated area which is no problem with me at all. But I don't know much about these particular apts. I seen reviews and the 3 they had were all positive and said it was quiet and mostly elderly people who lived there.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
If I were to choose between them and the Tradewinds/Camelot, I would go with the Town East.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I've had friends live here when I lived in Mesquite back in the 1990s. Don't drive a nice car or it will be GONE...my friend's 1980's Mustang was stolen from those apartments' parking lot! DO carry pepper spray, or get your CHL.

They are better than Tradewinds, though not by much...

Old 04-17-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I've had friends live here when I lived in Mesquite back in the 1990s. Don't drive a nice car or it will be GONE...my friend's 1980's Mustang was stolen from those apartments' parking lot! DO carry pepper spray, or get your CHL.

They are better than Tradewinds, though not by much...
What is considered a nice car? I have a 2001 Honda Civic with tinted windows. It's not all customized and stands out like my previous car but it's a nice looking car. Would something like that be a problem?

And my girlfriend has stayed in apts in East Dallas area ranging from Dalton Place on Peavy Rd, Claremont on Highland Rd, Highland Meadows on Highland Rd and Monterra Apts on Ferguson. Those aren't exactly the best places to live either. Would you put these in this category?

I don't mind certain stuff as long as I don't become involved like my apt getting broke into, hit with stray bullets theft and assault and stuff. I keep to myself and never bother anyone anyways.

I know stuff will go on in apts and I'm ok with it. As long as it's not too out of hand. Loud music and loud people don't bother me at all. Fights don't even bother me. And I don't need a pool, gym, tennis courts, etc.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:10 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Town East is not as bad as anything on Ferguson or Peavy.

Check the theft statistics on Honda Civics. I know the kids here like to buy them and customize them. You might consider getting a kill switch installed. My friend's Mustang was just the base model, and it was about 10 years old, but it disappeared within weeks when she moved in...

Old 04-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Town East is not as bad as anything on Ferguson or Peavy.

Check the theft statistics on Honda Civics. I know the kids here like to buy them and customize them. You might consider getting a kill switch installed. My friend's Mustang was just the base model, and it was about 10 years old, but it disappeared within weeks when she moved in...
Yea Civics thefts are real high because it is so easy to get parts to customize it.

I drove around them last night and circled the parking lot and they seemed real quiet for a Saturday night, when apts are usually the loudest. There was nobody outside at all and heard no noise. Seemed real peaceful, unless I just happened to go at the right time.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 7,193 times
Towneast would be 10x better than anything on peavy and furguson. I went to school near ferguson and watched several people shooting up at bus stops and selling drugs on the streets. I think you'll have less of that going on over in the towneast area. Nevertheless if it was me, spend an extra 200 bucks a month and find something like... springfield apartments. Lived in those when I went to school. Dont' really recommend them but... safer than anything you're looking at. my wife and I drive nice cars and they were never broken into or stolen. Only issues we had was a young boyfriend girlfriend couple who hated each other yelling all the time at 2:00am. Other then that experience there was fine. I think our rent was 529 a month. After utilities, cable/internet/, trash, etc... I think it was costing us about 560 to live there.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Mesquite certainly has low income areas and some crime, but nothing compared with other parts of the Dallas area. Their city fathers were smart back 25-30 years ago, and made a decision NOT to join DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). That has made a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas