Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 8,871 times

Advertisements

Hello there Dallas folk-

I've been reading up on some of these threads as I am considering a relocation to Dallas with the GF. I'm typically a pretty patient person, but traffic is something that really can drive me nuts. So, after getting a feel for some neighborhood profiles, it seems like Bishop Arts is an area we would feel comfortable in (I don't mind a little grit/transitional areas and she loves the hills).

We currently live in the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles, anywhoo, I potentially have an offer to work in the Inwood area (right at the 77 and LBJ). Is this a horrible commute? Google is telling me 20 minutes, but 16 miles in about an hour+ in Los Angeles at peak traffic times. I generally work 8- 6/6:30pm, so can you tell me what the avg. commute time would be?

Additionally, are they any hilly, artsy neighborhoods closer to that area? Also can anyone in the 75208 confirm if there are any Farmers Markets or Whole Food-like stores in that area? Sheesh, this must sound so LA. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:23 PM

Oh and we are also hoping to be able to spend btwn $600 to $750 each on a shared 2 bdr or $900 on a 1 bdr. Hoping to save up $ to purchase within a year.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Well, the good news is that Hampton Rd. in Oak Cliff goes all the way up to LBJ Freeway. The name just changes to Inwood once you cross the Trinity River (and I use the term "river" loosely). So, you could just take Davis St. about 1 mile west to Hampton and then drive north about 15 miles. At some point, you might want to get on the N. Dallas toll road though to speed things up. Please clarify what you mean when you say "the 77 and LBJ". I've lived in Dallas for 3/4 of my life and I'm not familiar with the "77". Regardless, based on your working hours, you could probably make the commute from Bishop Arts to Inwood @ LBJ in 30-45 minutes during rush-hour traffic. Not so bad by LA standards.

As for life in the 75208, there isn't a Whole Foods in the immediate area. However, there are two of them within 5 miles (Highland Park & Lakewood locations). The Farmer's Market is just about 3 miles away in Downtown Dallas. Oak Cliff does have Bolsa bolsa | oak cliff. It's a very cool new organic market/restaurant/wine bar in an old converted garage. Unfortunately, the very pretentious "D Magazine" deemed it Dallas' hippest new restaurant a couple of months ago - so, it won't hold it's bohemian edge for long

As for living near Bishop Arts District, check out these very cool apartments: Good Space- Bishop Arts District Dallas Living Working. A 1BR should be within your budget and all of them within a few blocks of Bishop Arts. There are other similar properties located nearby on King's Highway, but I don't know the names. Regarding your desire for hilly neighborhoods, please be aware that Bishop Arts is not hilly at all. However, less than a mile to the north, the Kessler Park area is very hilly. Not LA hilly, but hilly by Dallas standards. The only other parts of Dallas that might offer a similar vibe would be Oak Lawn (somewhat like W. Hollywood without the hills), Old East Dallas and the Henderson Ave. vicinity. Good luck!

Last edited by Dallas native; 04-18-2009 at 12:24 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Default Kessler Park Commute & Housing

Thanks that's certainly helpful! 30 mins is still pretty far. As for 77 and the LBJ, those were the two major roads I noticed....but just checked again and it's the LBJ and North Dallas Toll Road? Lincoln Center area?

Is there an actual toll that would need to be paid between Oak Cliff and that area..can't remember stopping to pay a toll when I was in Dallas last summer. Kessler Park/ Winnetka Heights is the area we were looking at...are there any newer build apartments or townhomes in that area?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Yes, that's a tollway. You put a tolltag on your windshield and it gets electronically read near downtown by an overhead thing. You don't even notice it. The Harvest Hill exit for Lincoln Center is a free exit.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
The area you would be working in is the Galleria area. The Dallas Galleria is a major mall with high rise office buildings on it's grounds as well as across LBJ (also called 635) to the south.

The commute from North Oak Cliff would be mostly reverse, with the only leg of real traffic being I-30 east to I-35N until you exit for the North Dallas Tollroad. I do a reverse commute, too, and the Tollroad northbound in the am is generally moving at 55-70mph. You would only pay the Wycliff toll, which is about $.90 now with a Tolltag (must-have). I think the whole commute would average 30 minutes.

As previous poster said, you can also take Hampton/ Inwood all the way north to your office, but much of the drive is through residential, so not the best for everyday, it great for an alt route when there's a wreck.

As for new construction in North Oak Cliff (Winnetka, Kessler, Bishop Arts), there is a little but not in your price range. It is a great neighborhood if you are not concerned with schools. Nice mix of Hispanic, middle- and upper-middle class white, artists & professionals. Many of the city's "power" gay men live in the area. I often see Neiman Marcus' Fashion Director dining at Bolsa- he lives in Kessler.

Word of caution, there are still not a ton of amenities in the area- dry cleaners, nail salons, grocery stores, drug stores. There are a few- but limited options. My friends who live there frequently take dry cleaning in near their offices and will shop at the Whole Foods at Tollroad & Lemon before heading home. Lots of great restaurants- trendy and neighborhood, wonderful authentic Mexican food and taco stands ( look for one with a long line!).

Also, recommend you use the Dallas Police Dept's interactive crime map when you narrow down what area to live in. Quite a few armed robberies & assaults in the neighborhood, though as a late 20s female, I generally feel safe when in the area. The map can help you identify the "bad" pockets in the area & avoid them. Also, as you can search crimes for last 5 years, you can get a feel for whether an area is getting safer or worse.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Can you still hop onto the tollway on Wycliff? Just go south on Sylvan - turns into Wycliff after you cross the Trinity River. There should be an entrance for the tollway. The only problem with this scenario is when there's a heavy rain and parts of the road flood - only a couple of times/year.

Everyone shops at Whole Foods from N Oak Cliff - hopping onto the tollway and exiting Lemmon. But there's also Tom Thumb on Hampton near Jefferson that's so-so. And Fiesta on Jefferson if you want cheap produce with more of a Hispanic slant.

I thought I had read that Bolsa was going to try to bring a farmer's mkt type thing to Oak Cliff. Looks like it may be once a month...not sure.
www.advocatemag.com >> Oak Cliff Happenings - Bolsa Farmers Market (http://www.advocatemag.com/oak-cliff/happenings/Bolsa_Farmers_Market.html?c=y - broken link)

There are some newer apts near Colorado and Zang; also Colorado and Beckley - but you would be isolated from easy walking distance to Bishop Arts.
Good Space is an excellent suggestion to be in the heart of what you want. Well maintained places.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM

93 posts, read 396,963 times
Default Organic Grocer

Also there is supposed to be an organic grocer as part of this mixed use development that will be happening at Sylvan and Ft. Worth Ave (catty corner to the Belmont Hotel).

Oaxaca Interests, LLC - Project Luke

Click on "Site Plan" and "Elevation/Demographics" to see what it might look like.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:15 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojoCA View Post
Kessler Park/ Winnetka Heights is the area we were looking at...are there any newer build apartments or townhomes in that area?
Nothing new in Winnetka Hts, but you might find a smaller building that has been renovated. There is a very nice, large apartment complex called the Grand Estates at Kessler Park (what a name). They were built around 2002 as I recall. Some of them have killer views of downtown. apartments kessler park dallas - Google Maps. You might also find a 1BR condo that you could rent at the Lake Cliff Tower on Colorado Blvd. http://www.lakeclifftower.com/ . It's a beautiful old building that was renovated a few years ago. The units have a loft style finish-out. I imagine you could find a 1BR for lease for underl $1000.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 PM

Wow thanks everyone! All awesome informaton to have. I've lived in some transition neighborhoods, Silverlake, Williamsburg, etc., and even some not so transition neighborhoods and have generally never had problems. I'm really excited with the prospect of living there and supporting it's redevelopment, it must be one of the most naturally beautiful areas of Dallas (as I had always assumed Dallas was as flat as pancake)...so hope for a positive change.

Still a little hesistant about the drive and available housing stock, but will do some thorough exploration in a month. Is Knox Henderson area a much better drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas