Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:08 AM

173 posts, read 655,755 times

Advertisements

Moving to Dallas in the Summer. Trying to make my mind where to live. We have two kids in elementary school. So school is an important consideration. Also the housing price and quality of life. This is an open ended question, all your suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Plano and Frisco may as well just be one city......they are almost identical.....suburban-hell!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 AM

59 posts, read 156,443 times
I started to look into moving to the DFW area but I find it overwhelming because there are so many areas to look at. Each area has its positives and negatives. Housing prices vary so much from one area to the next. IMO the smartest thing to do is rent a nice apartment for 3-6 months and once you are there look around and see what area feels better. If you make a decision let me know because I am curious about what you find out. Thanks and good luck

Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
It's going to depend more on what your price range is and where you will be working. Frisco is north of Plano and if you're needing to get to downtown Dallas, you need to stick with Plano. If you're going to be working north like at Legacy park in Plano, Frisco would be fine... or you could live in north Plano and feed to Frisco schools and have the best of both worlds.

But it's all going to depend on price range and what you're looking for in a home.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Plano - older, more established, better city services such as, more and better public pools and libraries, schools are bigger (but classroom size isn't), closer to Dallas, access to Hwy 75 (free!)

Frisco - newer, still building out, traffic issues due to roads not being expanded timely, smaller populations in schools, great shopping, "growing pains," tollways, tollways, tollways, Frisco-online message board very helpful and gives a sense of community, city attracts lots of people from out of state

Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,522 times
^ Nice concise, neutral assessment; actually helpful, rather than a ridiculous one-line "suburban hell" answer. Good points about tollways and infrastructure in Frisco - that would be my answer about the biggest negatives.

Also agree about city services, with Plano being better.

Otherwise, both great places to live.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
Rent first then buy, there is a lot more areas in the DFW Metro area with great schools and nice living. I would not narrow my purchase down to just two great areas.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Plano - older, more established, better city services such as, more and better public pools and libraries, schools are bigger (but classroom size isn't), closer to Dallas, access to Hwy 75 (free!)

Frisco - newer, still building out, traffic issues due to roads not being expanded timely, smaller populations in schools, great shopping, "growing pains," tollways, tollways, tollways, Frisco-online message board very helpful and gives a sense of community, city attracts lots of people from out of state

Very good and accurate post

Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
I think both are great. To me though unless you're in W. Plano you're going to be in a crowded school, but that's not always a bad thing.

Frisco schools are VERY good, and Frisco is also VERY family friendly. Plano is as well, but there is a difference. There is a point that Frisco still is growing very fast and there are some growing pains, but it's because there are new things being added all the time. The schools are ALL brand new, services and attitude are great, the interaction between community and city are one of the best I've seen in quite a while. I think Frisco IMO is the clear winner, especially for small children and families. Not by much, but there is enough of a difference.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Plano would be the lesser of the two evils. Frisco has too much road construction going on 121 making traffic a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas