Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL250268 View Post
Hi

We are planning a move from Plano, we want a new build, and have narrowed it down to Allen or Murphy.

We have two 7 year old boys, wife works near LBJ and Coit.

We need good schools and local parks etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for your comments on which area is best and why.

Paul

I'd pick Murphy over Allen. Plano schools are just as good at Allen AND they are not as huge/over crowded. Unless your kids are star athletes, I highly doubt they will be involved in sports in Allen. Plus, your kids could end up just being a number. Allen only has one high school and it's gigantic. There are only 3 middle schools too and a lot of the West Allen students are going to have to cross over 75 central and go to middle school on the East side. Nothing wrong with the East side but it's just so much more farther - this is all due to overcrowding at the middle school level. The elementary schools are great but they too can be very full/over crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
Quote:
I think that's going to be too far out for us.

I've just heard that Murphy schools are having a problem with gangs. That doesn't sound too good.

Paul
I just looked at the school listings for Murphy and they're very favorable. Moved out here a short time ago and it's really nice. Haven't seen any gangs you're 'heard' about.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
dgz

Quote:
Hi

We are planning a move from Plano, we want a new build, and have narrowed it down to Allen or Murphy.

Paul
I just moved out to Murphy and I really like it. I'm near Glen Ridge off North Murphy road and it takes me only 15 minutes to get to the Plano Parkway exit at 75. I was living in central/west Plano, but this area seems quieter (less traffic), more green open space, and yet, I can still get into Dallas quickly for evening activities, meeting with friends, etc. I was also able to get more 'house/property' than what I could get in Plano.

The demographics in my neighborhood and some of the surrounding ones suggest mostly educated professionals.

I also looked at Allen, but the houses in the neighborhoods I looked at seemed 'closer together' and I was wanting more space. If I had not bought my house in Murphy (which I'm very happy with), I might also have considered Parker--although Parker would've increased my commute time by another 5-10 minutes.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:46 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
DGZ,

Did you get to enjoy the fireworks at Maize Days tonite?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:23 AM
dgz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
DGZ,

Yes, that was very cool! Is that an annual event?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
It is. It used to be a smaller fall festival, but last year it got bigger with the 50th Anniversary of being incorporated. We had fireworks for the first time then and it was so popular it was decided we had to do the big event every year. Maize Days was chosen as the theme because the entire city used to be corn/maize crops.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,549 times
Quote:
Hi

Paul
Paul...
Here's the scoop...I work for PISD as a sub. One of the things that concerns me with Allen is that there is only ONE High School. IF your sons are athletic and you are wanting them in Football, Basketball ....sports you will have great competition there. Also, how long do you want to live in your home when you have it built? Most home buyers live in their homes 3 to 5 yrs and then sell. Murphy is awesome! Also there are other areas to buy in also. Call the schools and check them out. I have worked at Murphy Middle School and it was a treat. It has higher end homes and I think you can go from there. Allen too has higher end homes and such. Have a great day!
Paula

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 09-27-2009 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: deleted advertising

Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I just looked at the school listings for Murphy and they're very favorable. Moved out here a short time ago and it's really nice. Haven't seen any gangs you're 'heard' about.

Must be those "gangs" of moms shopping at the new Target and then fighting over their spot in the Chick-Fil-A line afterwards.

Gangs in Murphy........... now THAT is funny. ROTFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
DGZ,

We went up there for a little while. Hubby looked to see if he saw you. I think he thinks I know what you look like too. LOL!!! We did take one of the cars up to the car show but didn't enter. We got there late after soccer and had to leave early as well to get ready to head to the hockey game. There were a LOT of people there.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
We were there, hubby was in car show along with my dad. Daughter and I went up there later walked around, ate (love & war..mmm), enjoyed the festivities. Then went back home. Hubby and dad won some trophies they were happy.

I like Murphy, great place. Although I love where I live too!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM
eka

13 posts, read 51,689 times
My wife and I built a new K.Hov home in Murphy three years ago. We absolutely love our home, the schools, and the neighborhood. We have four children, including a 7-year-old son enrolled at Tibbals Elementary in Wylie ISD. We deliberately chose to live on the WISD side of Murphy because we had heard some scary things about Williams High School and Plano East Senior High. I have never heard anything negative about Murphy Middle School or the two PISD elementary schools in Murphy, however, and I expect the new McMillan High School to be very nice. We have found Murphy to be a relatively quiet and engaging community that is convenient to the shopping and other ameinties of larger populations centers, but far enough away to feel safe and comfortable. With the attractive new shopping centers on FM 544, we do most of our shopping close to home now too. Firewheel Town Center is only 10 minutes away as well. I find my commute to downtown Dallas to be fairly easy and hassle-free via DART or Hwy 75. Good luck to you. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: