Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times

Advertisements

If you want a snapshot of the sad state of our educational system these days, pick up a newspaper or browse an internet forum such as this one. Peoples' grammar and spelling are atrocious.

It's really sad when presidential candidates have to debate at a 7th grade speaking level in order to reach a majority of Americans effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:52 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
bluescreen,

Even better. My sister is a teacher and they just got their TAKS scores back. She got bawled out for 10 kids out of 90+ failing. 3 of these 10 failed last year as well. 3 have behavioral issues that are severe and 1 is in a home where English is not spoken. However, she had a 63% rate of students getting COMMENDED PERFORMANCE and not one praise from admin or principal. The math question I just posted is just 1 example of the problems these kids had to do on the TAKS. They faired a HECK OF A LOT better than most college educated adults would if we had to take it. There are so many trick questions it is not even funny. It is pathetic.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM

momof2dfw -
I'm not big on standardized testing and I'm not looking forward to my oldest having to take the TAKS test for the first time next year.

I understand the need/want/desire for accountability but standardized tests do nothing but put an anchor around the necks of the top tier students. It essentially forces teachers to come up with a lowest-common-denominator approach to education by setting a target that a majority of students can reach. All so we can feel warm and fuzzy about the quality of our education.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM

303 posts, read 1,011,461 times
To me that math problem actually made sense. I don't think it's difficult for a 4th grader. Sorry!

To get back to the initial post, the teacher's "explanation" is that you can't have the word "was" twice in the same sentence. Hilarious! Or should I be crying?

The height of the clouds was so low, it was frightening.

So that's what he wrote, and the teacher insists it should have been "the height of the clouds were...". I didn't receive the graded work yet, I hope she picks up a grammar manual over the weekend. I know I have one confused kid!
So what do I do? I should mention that it's not the first time this happens, I just didn't document the other errors.
Please give me some advice, all I want is for my son to learn things the proper way. I can see he is confused.

Last edited by Pintea; 04-24-2009 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: error

Old 04-24-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post
To me that math problem actually made sense. I don't think it's difficult for a 4th grader. Sorry!

To get back to the initial post, the teacher's "explanation" is that you can't have the word "was" twice in the same sentence. Hilarious! Or should I be crying?

So that's what he wrote, and the teacher insists it should have been "the height of the clouds were...". I didn't receive the graded work yet, I hope she picks up a grammar manual over the weekend. I know I have one confused kid!
So what do I do? I should mention that it's not the first time this happens, I just didn't document the other errors.
Please give me some advice, all I want is for my son to learn things the proper way. I can see he is confused.
You can't have 'was' twice in a sentence? I know there are some REALLY stupid rules in the English language, but that's not one of them.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post

The only thing I see wrong with that sentence is the comma, which I don't think is needed.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The only thing I see wrong with that sentence is the comma, which I don't think is needed.
I was just going to say, replace the comma with 'that.'

Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I was just going to say, replace the comma with 'that.'
The lowness of the clouds was frightening.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
If the graded paper comes back w/ "was" marked wrong I would call for a parent/teacher meeting. Not a phone call or an email exchange but a face to face meeting. Hm, can you use the word "face" more than once in the same sentence? I'd start off nice and ask the teacher to explain the rules of the English language and why "was" does not apply in this case. Depending on how the teacher responds during this meeting would determine which route to take from there. If she understands the er of her ways then let it be done. If she gets fiesty and still believes that it should have been "were" I'd call for a larger meeting then of not just her but the entire team (this is all of the teachers on that grade level), the counselor and the principal.

I know that I make plenty of grammar mistakes of my own. This is why I have a smart teenager to help steer me in the right direction

Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM

303 posts, read 1,011,461 times
Thank you Momof2dfw, your answer is very helpful. I guess your teenager didn't go to our school!

I don't remember if he had a comma in the sentence and we can't change a thing now. Anyway, I don't do his homework for him. I check it and if there's a serious error we'll discuss it and he makes changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas