Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 PM

81 posts, read 294,183 times

Advertisements

Is there an area in Dallas (city, or burb), where an elderly woman, very independent, but not a driver, not could rent an apartment and stay independent? But!!!!! she wants nothing to do with an elderly community or home; this is very important.
If we move from Chicago (the land of great public trans/pedestrian friendliness) we'd like to bring my 65-year-old MIL. But, she's very independent, I can't stress this enough. She works part-time at a grocery store, takes classes at a community college here, etc., etc. So, we'd like to be able to keep her as comfortable as possible. You know what I mean?
You guys know of a great community/communities near grocery stores, shopping, libraries, etc. etc.??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 02:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Elderly??? at 65????? not elderly at all. Elderly starts at about 75.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:50 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Honestly, I woud not do it. Dallas has OK public transportation, but I would not recommend it for a 65-year old woman to be riding by herself. It is a shame that she is not interested in looking into an independent living senior community. There are a LOT of them here that she would probably love...Dallas Texas Retirement Communities: Highland Springs

Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Honestly, I woud not do it. Dallas has OK public transportation, but I would not recommend it for a 65-year old woman to be riding by herself. It is a shame that she is not interested in looking into an independent living senior community. There are a LOT of them here that she would probably love...Dallas Texas Retirement Communities: Highland Springs

Oh man, forget it; she would never. She lives on the North side of Chicago, by herself, and does all the things I mentioned before via walking/public transportation. She said she doesn't like most people her age b/c they are cranksters. So, living in a retirement com. is waaaaay out of the question.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:44 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Why doesn't she drive?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 AM

she tried once when she was little, crashed and never tried/wanted to try again

Old 04-26-2009, 01:59 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
She is my parents' age, FWIW. Speaking as someone who works in the eldercare industry, it makes me sad to see that someone her age isn't interested in even being around her peers. Eventually, she will get sick of hanging around the younger people, and the transition is much easier if she hasn't lost touch with her generation.

The independent living communities are for more outgoing people who are still interested in being active in the commnity, and many of the residents still work part time and most of them volunteer with various organizations. It is NOT a nursing home by any means!! If she was able to drive, I would highly recommend Robson Ranch or Frisco Lakes, but since that is not the case, I recommended the Erickson properties.

Dallas doesn't have anything like Chicago as far as public transportation goes. There are a few train lines here, and buses, but they leave out large chunks of the metro area, and some of the routes require transfers in shady areas. I wouldn't let my mother ride the bus around Dallas...

Old 04-26-2009, 06:37 PM

70 posts, read 294,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer2911 View Post
Is there an area in Dallas (city, or burb), where an elderly woman, very independent, but not a driver, not could rent an apartment and stay independent? But!!!!! she wants nothing to do with an elderly community or home; this is very important.
If we move from Chicago (the land of great public trans/pedestrian friendliness) we'd like to bring my 65-year-old MIL. But, she's very independent, I can't stress this enough. She works part-time at a grocery store, takes classes at a community college here, etc., etc. So, we'd like to be able to keep her as comfortable as possible. You know what I mean?
You guys know of a great community/communities near grocery stores, shopping, libraries, etc. etc.??
You may want to try this site Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address, you enter an address and it tells you what is around that is within walking distance. Just as an example, because I don't know where your MIL would like to live, here is an address in Uptown 3321 Cole Avenue Unit: 117 Dallas, TX 75204. The walk score is 92 out of 100, there are plenty of shops, restaurants, movie theater and grocery stores Albertsons (formerly Jewel parent company) and Kroger. Areas like this are sought after by younger crowds but I believe that if your MIL is looking for pedestrian friendly areas this is one to consider

By the way Uptown has a FREE trolley service for the area http://www.mata.org/ it may not take you to the door of your apartment but it can get you close enough.

Last edited by Ilovethewindycity; 04-26-2009 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
FYI--my sister-in-law is 70 and her best friend (same age group) moved from Victoria to the FLower Mound area a couple of years ago to be closer to her daughter and grandchildren...
she at first rented apt in senior complex--yuck--she was only there two days--could not take it...
she found apt in complex in the Flower Mound area just north of Grapevine Mills mall...

she drives but does not really like to if she can avoid it--one reason she chose her apt complex was that there is a strip shopping center across the city street from the complex with a Kroger and other stores so she can walk to them--and she does...
her car was backed into by car of another apt resident and was in the shop for over 2 weeks...
she likes the complex because it is safe, her neighbors are reasonably polite/noise-free, her apt is in the last row at the complex and backs up to greenbelt--so she has small outdoor patio area but lots of privacy...
there are activities which she chooses to join at times--done throught the apt

name of the complex is Savoy at Shadow Ridge---not perfect formost because it is an apt complex--but she seems pretty content

Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
FYI--my sister-in-law is 70 and her best friend (same age group) moved from Victoria to the FLower Mound area a couple of years ago to be closer to her daughter and grandchildren...
she at first rented apt in senior complex--yuck--she was only there two days--could not take it...
she found apt in complex in the Flower Mound area just north of Grapevine Mills mall...

she drives but does not really like to if she can avoid it--one reason she chose her apt complex was that there is a strip shopping center across the city street from the complex with a Kroger and other stores so she can walk to them--and she does...
her car was backed into by car of another apt resident and was in the shop for over 2 weeks...
she likes the complex because it is safe, her neighbors are reasonably polite/noise-free, her apt is in the last row at the complex and backs up to greenbelt--so she has small outdoor patio area but lots of privacy...
there are activities which she chooses to join at times--done throught the apt

name of the complex is Savoy at Shadow Ridge---not perfect formost because it is an apt complex--but she seems pretty content
Thank you so much love2read!!! We'll def. have to check this one out. It sounds perfect for my dear MIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas