Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,432 times

Advertisements

You must have noticed the gas price was twice as much in Sept 07 and Sept 08?

Now it's back to the old numbers, or better % ridership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 02:13 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
OH VEY! Wikipedia only tells you where they Cite their info from on the bottom of every article. Go and take a look....

Man, I feel like I'm giving a lesson here....

Wikipedia is NOT a blog. Geez...
If you think your Wikipedia reference is backed by some other source, you should cite the original source... assuming it corroborates your story.

Citing Wikipedia when your data (allegedly) comes from somewhere else... I smell a rat.

Most likely, the claim you make is not supported by an original source.

Last edited by aceplace; 04-29-2009 at 02:26 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 03:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
OH VEY! Wikipedia only tells you where they Cite their info from on the bottom of every article. Go and take a look....

Man, I feel like I'm giving a lesson here....

Wikipedia is NOT a blog. Geez...
For crying out loud. You are NOT giving us a lesson at all. The only thing your giving us is the fact that you really can not figure out which articles/links you use are true facts or hearsay. I'm the one that corrected you that property taxes are NOT paid towards DART and you still have not even acknowledged that mistake of yours. We are the ones giving you a lesson and it still goes over your head.

I did NOT say wikipedia was a "blog". I was referring to another one of your links.

Again, in the REAL WORLD we do NOT use wikipedia as a reference for ANYTHING! If one of my children uses it for any kind of reference at school it will be marked off. That is because the "facts" on there are put there by CONTRIBUTORS! I can contribute to any one of them and there is no one to verify that what I state is fact or fiction. The links that "reference" where they get their info could be an editorial piece, a blog, any forum, any published piece of work, etc.

You talk this "numbers" game but the only numbers you cite are made up in your head. Give us cold hard facts or go home. Pretty darn simple. You come on here and spout an OPINION or an OPINION piece of journalism and take it as the gospel without even trying to verify that it is accurate or giving. When someone comes back at you with cold hard facts that are verifiable you can't even accept it as the truth. You try to twist it around to prove your point and all your doing is digging yourself deeper. mama-mia........ some kids never learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
If you think your Wikipedia reference is backed by some other source, you should cite the original source... assuming it corroborates your story.

Citing Wikipedia when your data (allegedly) comes from somewhere else... I smell a rat.

Most likely, the claim you make is not supported by an original source.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM

How about going to the source for CORRECT and ACCURATE information. WOW! What a novel idea

From the mouth of DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
April 1, 2009

DART earns international recognition

DART President/Executive Director Gary Thomas accepts the "Best Metro Americas" award from Jane Pearce, Editor of Metro Report (UK).
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is being recognized as the best transit agency in North, South and Central America at the annual MetroRail conference. The "Best Metro Americas" award was presented March 31.

DART was selected over transit properties in New York City, Chicago and Washington, D.C.

Integration with other transit modes, customer service, value for money, safety and high performance standards were a few of the categories in which DART was judged. Event organizers said the awards were created, "to identify and reward those companies who have demonstrated an unparalleled ability to succeed and continually set standards of excellence."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2008 Ridership Breakdown

For the second year in a row, ridership on all modes of public transportation increased in every quarter. Light rail (modern streetcars, trolleys, and heritage trolleys) had the highest percentage of annual ridership increase among all modes, with an 8.3 percent increase in 2008. (This is NATIONWIDE an 8.3% increase)
and Dallas (10.2%).

Commuter rail increased in 2008 by 4.7 percent (Again, this 4.7% is NATIONWIDE)
Dallas-Fort Worth (14.1%)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 16, 2008

DART ridership continues growth in November

Gas prices kept falling and Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) ridership kept rising last month.

Average weekday bus ridership in November is the highest in November since 2000 when DART recorded 166,046 average weekday riders. DART Rail and the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) commuter rail both posted gains in total and average weekday ridership. Average weekday DART Rail ridership ranks fourth all time behind August, September and October 2008; and the TRE's average weekday ridership ranks fifth all time. DART's HOV lanes were up more than 36% in both average weekday and total ridership.

The table below compares November 2008 (which had two fewer work days in it) with November 2007.

Bus

Average weekday = 161,327 (2.7% increase)

Total = 3,558,966 (2.4% decrease)

DART Rail

Average weekday = 70,690 (13.9% increase)

Total = 1,571,399 (5.2% increase)

Trinity Railway Express

Average weekday = 10,567 (12.8% increase)

Total = 214,325 (5% increase)

HOV

Average weekday = 158,583 (37.42% increase)

Total = 4,197,850 (36.5% increase)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 21, 2008

DART ridership setting records even with falling pump prices

Despite the ongoing decline in gasoline prices DART ridership continued to grow in October setting records in total passenger trips in bus, DART Rail and the Trinity Railway Express.

Those modes along with the agency's High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes report growth in both average weekday and total ridership.

The table below compares October 2008 with October 2007.

Bus
Average weekday = 173,000 (7.2% increase)
Total = 4,533,100 (8.7% increase)
Previous high month, October 2001, 4,488,439

DART Rail
Average weekday = 71,400 (11.8% increase)
Total = 1,851,300 (11.3% increase)
Previous high month, August 2008, 1,806,621

Trinity Railway Express
Average weekday = 11,100 (18% increase)
Total = 327,500 (24.1% increase)
Previous high month, October 2007, 263,765

HOV
Average weekday = 163,928 (40.1% increase)
Total = 4,695,900 (42.2% increase)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 24, 2008

116.8 million trips

FY 2008 a banner year for DART ridership

Continuing its record-breaking pace of more than 400,000 daily passenger trips, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) finished Fiscal Year 2008 with more than 116.8 million passenger trips on its growing network of buses, trains, high occupancy (HOV) lanes, paratransit services and vanpools.

The ridership gains of recent months are particularly significant given the steady decline in regional gasoline prices from their highest prices in mid-July. Total and average weekday ridership in bus, DART Rail, Trinity Railway Express and HOV were up over FY 2007.

Average weekday ridership for September

DART Rail: 71,502 (up 14.4% over September 2007)

Trinity Railway Express: 10,309 (up 11.8% over September 2007)

DART Bus: 174,575 (up 4.3% over September 2007)

HOV Lanes: 152,900 (up 38.75% over September 2007)

Total ridership for FY 2008

DART Rail: 19,437,603 (up 8.6% over FY 2007)

Trinity Railway Express: 2,746,992 (up 10.9% over FY 2007)

DART Bus: 45,033,990 (up 1.3% over FY 2007)

HOV Lanes: 48,094,350 (up 27.9% over FY 2007)

HOV, DART Rail and TRE set records for total ridership and TRE set an all-time record for average weekday ridership for the year. July was the best month for the TRE, setting a record in average weekday ridership of 11,234 daily riders. The DART Rail weekday average in August, 73,058 average daily riders, also was an all-time high.

DART Rail doubling
DART ridership is expected to get a substantial boost as the agency's current expansion programs double the DART Rail System to 90 miles by 2013. Altogether, the rail extensions are expected to add 60,000 weekday passenger trips, essentially doubling ridership on the DART Rail System.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Ahhh... here we go...

DART didn't even make this list.
Look at some of the lame cities on this list and tell me that DART is working?

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States local bus agencies by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this one just for fun yet VERY informative:

Dallas Area Rapid Transit: Heavily Subsidized | WebCogito (http://www.webcogito.com/2009/03/15/dallas-rapid-rapid-transit-heavily-subsidized/ - broken link)

Wiki link #1 is from 2006

WOW!!! DART has EXPANDED big time since then.

From the 3rd wiki link:

Considering that DART did not start using rail until 1996 and is the BABY of the group...... All of the ones IN FRONT of it opened in:

Not bad I must say. We are STILL in an INFANCY STAGE and growing stronger by the day.
What about Sacramento......In CALIFORNIA and opened in 1987 and is BEHIND Dallas

That last link.......... you like posting on there too, huh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's talk California then since they seem to be soooo far ahead

The LA Metro & Cali's gas tax.
Californians pay the highest gas taxes in the nation, 63.9 cents per gallon

Metro’s budget for 2008 is $3.1 billion. Metro provide public transportation to Los Angeles County, an area with a population of almost 10 million. Unlike automobile transportation, it’s no secret that Metro is subsidized. Fare revenue (user fees) only account for $341 million, or 11% of Metro’s total budget. The rest is subsidy.

minus fare revenue, Metro costs $2.7 billion, divide that by 10 million people, it turns out that each citizen of Los Angeles County pays $270 per year, or $22.50 a month to subsidize public transit in Los Angeles.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:48 PM

Just wanna thank y'all for your biased input and scrutiny.

Most people I find on city-data are well educated, good writers and bright people. However, when it comes to some facts people don't want to acknowledge them. I saw that most people didn't even respond to the numbers presented or even maybe come to some consensus.
It would be like making the argument that DFW isn't a sprawl metro. Do 10 condo developments make up for the thousands of track home developments spread throughout the metro? What cities in the metro are growing? Dallas is growing at a snails, pace but the surrounding low dense cities have doubled in 20 years.

Would it had made a difference if I was a 45 year resident of Dallas?
Most of the article I've cited are local articles.

Many of my favorite posters can't make negative or even neutral comment about DFW. Off the top of my head I can name 10 negatives about the cities I love. You know who are you - I would recommend you to work for the Dallas Visitors Bureau.

In closing I would beg you all to ask yourselves, if DART is such a well performing thing, why it is that it only get 7% of it's revenue from fares (compared to other mass transit systems that get 3-5times that).

The density of DFW is the smallest of any metro or major city for that fact. (ok, but near the bottom)

Dallas, the most dense city is only @ 3600. - Sorry but 3 pockets of 10k per sq mile isn't doing to make mass transit work.

It is consistently criticized by all local news media.

And remember 2008 was a record year for gas prices. When you compare it from year to the next OF COURSE YOU'RE GONNA SEE A BIG INCREASE, gas was $4! But guess what, it's back to normal. Play w/ the numbers all you want....nice try.

DFW people have extra $$ to spend on cars. Cost of housing is low, so you can buy a car. How many people in other major metros don't even own a car is amazing. Parking D-town is affordable. It's not $40 like other places.

And for the 10th time if the metro gained 10% in population the ridership only net gained 2-3%. (how many times do I have to state this .. geez)

And lastly, how many posters actually use it daily M-F or know someone who does? Probably out of 20.. you probably know 1. And that's the 5% ridership that it's bringing in. I challenge those who are so quick to defend it, use the DART for one month and use your cars only on the weekend and tell me... it's going to work.. it isn't. The 3 or 4 major pockets is all it's really good for. You know who you are (speaking to you directly)... YOU DON'T USE THE DART AND NEVER WILL (on a weekday basis)

Shalom everyone- you have been educated! Please direct all hate mail to me directly

Old 04-29-2009, 03:52 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
According to dart.org - the HOV network consists of 80 miles of lanes. Today, the light rail system is 45 miles.

Ridership numbers:
80 miles HOV = 48M = 600K/mile
45 miles LRT = 19M = 422K/mile

That puts current LRT at 64% the ridership as HOV. I consider that to be pretty competitive (especially considering how new the area is to rail - and this is with a somewhat limited system).

I'm curious, Dwong, do you think that HOV lanes should be pulled as well? There's not a single drop of revenue paying for HOV lanes. It's 100% subsidized.

Brian

Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 PM

Geez, I was wondering and was going to ask but now it has been confirmed. YOU ARE A BLONDE and the facts went right over your head.

You calling US "biased". HAHAHAHAHA!!! GOOD ONE! HA..... that is a good one.

No, I CAN give some negatives about Dallas. I just don't chose to do that on THIS thread as we are talking about the increase in DART ridership. Not the positives and negatives of Dallas.

No, I don't ride DART because I can't. It doesn't run a private rail line from my home to my childrens schools. What city DOES have that? NONE! There are millions and millions of people like me in other metros w/ rail and public transit that can't effectively use it because of their OWN PERSONAL WAY OF LIFE! It is also kind of hard for me or my employees to actually use public transit of ANY sort to conduct OUR business. For starters, our products would be PROHIBITED on the buses and trains. I know that is going to be hard for you to wrap around your brain but try to realize that some people actually work in fields and industries that are a little "different" than the "norm". Oh, but I HAVE used DART many times when doing other things and it was possible. So it is not like I have never riden on a DART train or bus. I have I found it to be very reliable and a great value. No problems at all with it and was glad we could take advantage of it.

BTW, I know a LOT of people that DO ride DART on a M-F basis every week.

It is a good thing you have ran across some bright and well educated people. Did you consider what they were saying and were you able to grasp the knowledge you could get from them? I'd find it hard to believe you did since it is so hard for you to understand when we try to point out FACTS and you ignore them.

No, the articles you used as a reference were EDITORIAL JOURNALISM. Even if they were "local" they still do not contain FACTS. Do you not know the difference between an editorial piece and a piece of journalism that contains cold hard facts.

And for the 10th time DART DOES NOT GET FUNDING FROM PROPERTY TAXES!!!! Do you not realize that YET?!?!?!

Oh well......... I'm done. I've ignored you many, many times and do most of the time as your the same old thing over and over. Worse than a broken record w/ deep scratches in it. I should have just left this one alone as well as it is evidently crystal clear that you have not the faintest clue how to distinguish fact from fiction.

Gotta get the kids off to their practices. Darn, why doesn't the DART rail line go straight from my doorstep to my kids gyms.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:23 PM

Oh really quick, I don't live in LA allthough frequent it 2-3x a month.

And LA mass transit is a failure.....
Allthough it has 2.5x the ridership of DART, it has done little to alleviate traffic. Too bad w/ mass transit you can't scrap it all when it doesn't work.

see how great objectivity is?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Something people also often forget about rail is that when they built the first Transcontinental Railroad, population density in the wild west wasn't too high either. Cities sprang up around the railroad. Ultimately, I think it can be said the railroads proved to be a sound investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas