Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,515,121 times

Advertisements

Dallas - What is your thoughts on this purposed Convention Center Hotel?

Is it good for Dallas or not?

Last edited by LQQKOUT; 04-28-2009 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM

8,600 posts, read 14,808,145 times
This is one of those time I'm glad I don't have a dog in the hunt. This taxpayer-owned hotel is sheer idiocy, especially when the city's facing a budget shortfall. If the hotel's a necessity, let private industry build it. Don't put taxpayers on the hook.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,762,422 times
It should have been built 20+ years ago. Dallas has lost out on many things by not having a nice hotel convienent to the Convention Center. It has been a ploy of Trammell Crow over all of these years to keep Dallas and ANYONE from building a hotel right by the convention center. He has done everything in his power to keep it from happening. If it doesn't have his name on it and benefiting HIS OWN POCKETS then he doesn't want anyone else to do it. Which is idiotic beyond belief. Didn't he buy up some of the nearby properties to keep the city and other hotel developers from building a hotel near the convention center? I thought during the last battle several years ago that came out???

It has been good for Dallas for MANY years to have had a hotel at the convention center. Just has not happened because of meddling from someone else that won't make the money off of it.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM

99 posts, read 280,910 times
I have heard that Omni is going to manage this hotel if it is constructed. Does anyone know if Ft Worth taxpayers are footing the bill for their Downtown Omni hotel? I would think that if this was truly a lucrative venture, private developers would be all over it.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Tta

64 posts, read 222,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It should have been built 20+ years ago. Dallas has lost out on many things by not having a nice hotel convienent to the Convention Center. It has been a ploy of Trammell Crow over all of these years to keep Dallas and ANYONE from building a hotel right by the convention center. He has done everything in his power to keep it from happening. If it doesn't have his name on it and benefiting HIS OWN POCKETS then he doesn't want anyone else to do it. Which is idiotic beyond belief. Didn't he buy up some of the nearby properties to keep the city and other hotel developers from building a hotel near the convention center? I thought during the last battle several years ago that came out???

It has been good for Dallas for MANY years to have had a hotel at the convention center. Just has not happened because of meddling from someone else that won't make the money off of it.
It may be Crow meddling, but is it still a good idea for Dallas to do it on their own? I say let the city do its job of running a city, and private developers do their job of developing.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 AM

808 posts, read 3,639,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem154 View Post
I have heard that Omni is going to manage this hotel if it is constructed.
Then why doesn't Omni/Bob Rowling foot the bill?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,448,762 times
It may be Crow meddling, but is it still a good idea for Dallas to do it on their own? I say let the city do its job of running a city, and private developers do their job of developing.>>

I agree. Crow is meddling and clearly doesn't want to competition, but I still think it's a bad idea.

Then why doesn't Omni/Bob Rowling foot the bill?>>

Exactly.

Developers seemingly adore Dallas, why aren't they climbing all over each other to build this hotel? Makes no sense to me.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 PM

428 posts, read 1,393,415 times
No hotel. Let the market decide where businesses should exist. Governments should govern not build hotels.

Instead of getting their hands into some new mess, why dont they finish our park along the Trinity and decide the fate of the stupid Tollway. Isnt that enough for the city of Dallas?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,762,422 times
The City of Dallas has already purchased the land for the hotel at a price tag of $50M. If they don't get the go ahead to build the hotel the note is due. Tough choice for sure.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,810,628 times
http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/dallasconventioncenterconcept.jpg (broken link)

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/dallasconventioncenterconcept.jpg (broken link)

Is this really what all the fuss is over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: