U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 56,439 times

Advertisements

i regret doing what i did. and i am probably going 2 regret it for the rest of my life. i have learned a valuable lesson aswell. i went to walmart and i attempted to steal from walmart. the amount of what i tried to steal was 13 dollars btw. as i was leaving a loss and prevention officer and told me to give him the stuff and i gave it back to him. he told me to follow him and i gave him all my information such as my address and my social security number. he told me that i was going to be recieving a letter in the mail from walmart. he also said he was not going to get the police involved in this. so my question is am i going to be fined? if so how big of a fine? and is this going on my permanent record?

i live in texas and im 18 btw.

please help im really scared as to what is going to happen.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,399,130 times
Default Re:

Wal-Mart standard operating procedure is to call the cops for all shoplifting over $25.

Fortunately for you, you were under that threshold.

Unfortunately for you, the letter Wal-Mart will send you is a legal document barring you from EVER entering ANY Wal-Mart property for the rest of your life. This is known as being "trespassed from Wal-Mart".

Will you be fined? No. Is this on your permanent record? Yes and no. It won't go on your criminal record. However, if you are caught entering a Wal-Mart (realistically, you need to be most concerned about being caught at this specific Wal-Mart), you can be arrested and charged with trespassing.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,585,438 times
Well hopefully you will be scared enough and won't do it again. Next time you might not be as lucky, and now days there's cameras everywhere. As for Walmart, you really don't need to go there, there's Target, K-mart etc. I make it a point to never go there. I just don't like them.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 AM

10,813 posts, read 23,249,038 times
You're lucky they didn't call the cops. Shoplifting is a Class B Misdemeanor and it is VERY difficult to overcome on a pre-employment criminal background check because it shows willful disregard for the law.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:36 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,399,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You're lucky they didn't call the cops. Shoplifting is a Class B Misdemeanor and it is VERY difficult to overcome on a pre-employment criminal background check because it shows willful disregard for the law.
Excellent point. There are a lot of minor scrapes with the law that employers are willing to overlook once a couple of years go by - drunk and disorderly, marijuana possession, reckless driving, etc. Shoplifting is almost always a deal-breaker.

Why? Those other offenses show the person to have been foolish. One can learn how NOT to be foolish.

Shoplifting shows the person to be dishonest. That's more of a permanent character flaw, and far more dangerous to employers than simply having bad judgment.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM

4,778 posts, read 7,998,661 times
My teenage years I worked for Wal-Mart. NEVER STEAL FROM WAL-MART or any place for that matter especially Wal-Mart. They have cameras everywhere and you want get away with it. Luckily for your sake their was no police on patrol like they have at some Wal-Marts because they would have walked you around the store literally in handcuffs for the whole world to see you and than shift you off to jail. We all make mistakes and you should be fine. It should not go on your record.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM

24 posts, read 133,371 times
Do you regret doing what you did because you got caught or because it was wrong? I would bet that had you not been caught, you would not regret it at all. Learn from this and change your ways. Consider yourself very fortunate that you did not go to jail. A shoplifting record will follow you the rest of your life. Every time you apply for a job, anytime a potential employer does a background check on you, all for 13.00. Pretty dumb when you think about it, huh? The honest citizen pays for shoplifting with higher prices. Don't do it again. You have been given a warning shot across the bow, take heed. If you think I am being hard, I'm not at all. I held back what I think about thieves.

Last edited by GClark; 05-05-2009 at 11:07 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM

556 posts, read 1,457,933 times
This sort of reminds me of my son's fringe friend who always set my radar off -- he recently dropped out of school, quit talking to friends, and now is in jail for attempted auto theft. If you step in it, the stink will cling for a long time. Not to say you can't wash up.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 PM

438 posts, read 1,677,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer350 View Post
please help im really scared as to what is going to happen.
I think it will be ok, and this will be an opportunity to consciously make better choices.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,131,863 times
Of course my first thought was, why did you do something so stupid and dis-honest? but that isn't the point now. I hope you feel bad because you broke the law, not because you got caught.

Someone made the comment, you can always shop at K-Mart of Taget, holy cow, that isn't the point, the point is you are an adult and luckier than HELL, you did not get arrested.

No, you will not have a record, thank goodness and hopefully you will never even consider doing something like that again..It really doesn't make much difference if the item was $13 or $113. Stealing is stealing..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: