Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM

29 posts, read 111,584 times

Advertisements

My answer will be short

Love-everything
hate-traffic

Dallas rocks! Wouldn't live anywhere else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Traffic is not an issue where I live..every place worth going is 10 minutes or less. Also I can walk to a variety of places..

Old 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Texas has a MUCH lower tax burden than the rest of the nation, so how do you dislike this? No state income tax, and property taxes which are lower than most other large cities. It's not the same as a small town somewhere else, but for the size of the city the tax burden isn't very large at all.
I come from Florida where property taxes are much lower and sales tax is 2% lower and there is also no state tax.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 PM

271 posts, read 393,939 times
I think all, metroplexuals(those who are in love w/DFW), should just get a room, not for any hanky panky mind you ,but only for the sole reason to whisper hot, steamy declarations of your fanatical and often unfounded love for this area ,into each other ears(Texas sized ears that is) and get over yourselves....and maybe bring a couple of ,Houstonians, for a change of pace, a little "S&M"....what do ya say???

Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I think all, metroplexuals(those who are in love w/DFW), should just get a room, not for any hanky panky mind you ,but only for the sole reason to whisper hot, steamy declarations of your fanatical and often unfounded love for this area ,into each other ears(Texas sized ears that is) and get over yourselves....and maybe bring a couple of ,Houstonians, for a change of pace, a little "S&M"....what do ya say???
Theres something wrong with loving where you live?

It only becomes wrong if you use it as a base to downtalk another place (which people from all over-not just Dallas or Houston-do).

Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,843 times
Things I like about Dallas:

- lots of shopping, friendly customer service...all range of shopping too, not just cheap or not just expensive
- lots of restaurants, lots of choice in cuisine
- lot of bang for your housing buck, for the most part
- springtime in dallas is nice
- love the fact that we've got two great airports; love Love Field much more than DFW-- that one, I only tolerate.
- love all the more urban infill going on north of downtown and all the changes happening in Oak Cliff for the better.

Things I don't care for about Dallas:

- lot of snobby people, lot of people with some attitude; quintessential "$30k millionaire" douchebags seem to abound; in my apt complex (in The Village), I never fail to smile and say hi or howdy to anyone but rarely do I get a "hi" back in return; only one other neighbor is friendly and she's really nice and even offers to let me park in her reserved space if I'm coming home a bit late and all spaces are taken...but that's just one in so many others...and she's much older Texan white lady...perhaps reading some threads here, it may be that I'm living among all the douchebag transplants or among SMU types who can't be bothered to say hello to a brown-skinned fellow.

- summers can be unbearably hot if you're not into the pool culture and don't like hanging out at restaurant patios all sweaty while sipping 'ritas, or going out to various manmade lakes all over the place; even locals at my office refuse to hang out at the Jazz Under The Stars concerts at the DMA because they think it's too hot! lol and that happens in what's nominally Springtime, not full blown summer.

- singles scene is a bit wanting if you're not Christian, not white, and don't drive a flashy car; if you're liberal and vegetarian, etc... basically, if you don't fit the Ken/Barbie mode well enough, then there aren't that many professionals who're liberals and want to date you or get to know you better...although I suppose with so many Californians moving to Dallas, even this aspect of Dallas living might be slowly changing...I can feel it change a bit over the past few years.

I think I might like living in Dallas in about 10 years when perhaps it'll be more to my liking...more urban, more dense, more liberal/open-minded, and if El Nino continues with its tricks, even local weather will be nicer! lol

Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
-Plenty of freeway options.
-Professional sports.
-DART is expanding.
-Storms!
-Southwest Airlines.
-Tons of restaurants.

Dislikes:
-Cookie-cutter homes.
-Boring landscape.
-Torrid summers.
-People who have no clue what to do (or how to drive) in storms.
-Lack of competitive college sports in the Metroplex.
-Lack of variety of stuff to do.
-Traffic.
-Sprawl (which adds to the traffic problem).

Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 13,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Now look, I don't know how Texadelphia compares on cheesesteak but you can't slight Dallas for its Tex Mex -- it is stellar!
Agree! There is great Mex and Tex/Mex all over Dallas, some better than others of course, but to say the quality is poor here? Pffft!
As for cheesesteak...Fred's Downtown Philly at 15th and Coit is SPOT ON! GREAT cheesesteak!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,996 times
People missing the beaches need to check out all the lakes around Dallas...or visit Galveston on the weekend!

Old 05-01-2010, 04:52 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I come from Florida where property taxes are much lower and sales tax is 2% lower and there is also no state tax.
Umm I dont know if you got the memo but Florida is also hurtin pretty bad too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas