Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:20 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Ye gads, first you want to drag all the Obama voters out of Dallas county, and now you want to tell Altanteans their town is ugly.

You're not running a popularity contest, are you?

1) As a RESIDENT in the metro Atlanta area for the past few years, I can tell you that like any other metro area in the country, Atlanta has the good, the bad and the ugly. If you bothered to read within the context of what Dallas Native and I were discussing (Houston), then maybe you could've actually realized what I was saying: Houston and Dallas get a bad rap for being so-called "sprawling and ugly" by its detractors, but Atlanta is no 'saint' in that department either, but we seem to get away with it moreso than the Texas sunbelt boomtowns. Some around here joke that "it's the trees." Houston and Dallas are a bit more "in your face" due to terrain and geography.

2) They're "Atlantans", not "Atlanteans." If you're a fan of Outkast, I guess you can call them "ATLiens"

3) Popularity contests are for high schoolers. I graduated from high school over a decade ago, and I've evolved beyond caring whether I'm popular or not.

4) In that post, you were the one that implied how much better off Dallas county would be if Obama supporters didn't live there, but I know this is just another attempt of yours to hijack a thread over semantics, and I'm not the one, so to keep the peace, this is my last post to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 03:32 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Hmmm. Good one. I've only been to Atlanta a few times, but I've always enjoyed it there. What I saw of it was actually very pretty. OK, for dead celebs, I think Martin Luther King or Coretta Scott King would be fitting. For living celebs, it's a toss up between Julia Sugarbaker (Dixie Carter) and Suzanne Sugarbaker (Delta Burke) from Designing Women. Your thoughts?
MLK would be a good representative, as Atlanta is his hometown and the city was home to the Civil Rights movement and was one of the first Southern cities to at least attempt integration. To their credit, Dallas and Houston didn't really have the racial riots and disturbances that many other cities had at the time and integration (in general) went a bit smoother.

As for living celebs, it's kind of difficult. Atlanta is seen as "southern" or "country" by people on the coasts and up north, but southerners see it as an alien land full of Yankees and is not seen as southern enough. Dixie Carter and Suzanne Sugarbaker are good representatives of Atlanta in the not-so-recent past. Tyler Perry could be an okay representative, as he, like many people in Atlanta is not originally from there, but moved here due to seeing Atlanta as a place for opportunity and to start a new life, but that could be representative of a lot of places though.

Hmmm, this is a hard one. In the scheme of things, Atlanta is a place that was a pimply faced teenager just getting their drivers license and finding their place in the world not too long ago, but is now old enough to buy drinks at the club. Something to think about.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:41 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
4) In that post, you were the one that implied how much better off Dallas county would be if Obama supporters didn't live there, but I know this is just another attempt of yours to hijack a thread over semantics, and I'm not the one, so to keep the peace, this is my last post to you.
No, that's not what I said, Grindin. Maybe you didn't study the statistics of subgroups in high school.

Your last post to me? Halleluiah! Now I know there is a God!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:32 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Well, you're welcome. I'm glad you liked my celebrity picture strategy. Now I'm thinking of taking it national. Just consider the possibilities. I see Paris Hilton representing LA. For Las Vegas, I'm leaning towards Liberace (dead celebs are OK). NYC probably requires multiple celebrity ambassadors........Howard Stern, Woody Allen, Joan Rivers & Fran Drescher all come to mind. Any ideas about who best captures the stereotypes of Boston? So far, all I've come up with is Ted Kennedy and Lilith Crane from Cheers (as played by Bebe Neuwirth).
Boston celebrity stereotypes: I would say Ben Affleck & Matt Damon, I'd go with Matt Damon as he's more likeable guy. Music, well Aerosmith, and well.....we're not proud of it but New Kids on the Block came from these parts, lol. How about a San Antonio music celebrity? Selena perhaps?

What's all this noise about the Obama fans in Dallas county? I mean come on, duh! Dallas is a big city and Obama carried the lions share of the urban vote across the land. And yes Atlanta is very sprawly but as mentioned before it does have a lot of trees and it's a very pretty city, nice skyline too. I also like the Dallas skyline as well. So is Dallas a nicer looking city than Houston? I've never been to Houston but I've mostly heard it's not very attractive.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Well, you're welcome. I'm glad you liked my celebrity picture strategy. Now I'm thinking of taking it national. Just consider the possibilities. I see Paris Hilton representing LA. For Las Vegas, I'm leaning towards Liberace (dead celebs are OK). NYC probably requires multiple celebrity ambassadors........Howard Stern, Woody Allen, Joan Rivers & Fran Drescher all come to mind. Any ideas about who best captures the stereotypes of Boston? So far, all I've come up with is Ted Kennedy and Lilith Crane from Cheers (as played by Bebe Neuwirth).
Fun thread! Here's mine:

Well since Boston is so old you might have to represent it by eras. In such a historical sense I would say:

Squanto and Massasoit
The Pilgrims and Puritans
Cotton Mather and the Salem witches
John Harvard
John Hancock, Sam Adams and Paul Revere
John & JQ Adams
Edgar Allan Poe
Ralph waldo emerson
Oliver Wendell Holmes
William Garrison and the Abolitionists
Clara Barton
Alexander Graham Bell
Henry David Thoreau
Honey Fitz and the Kennedys
John Sullivan & Rocky Marciano
Michael Curley
Cy Young
Ted Williams
Jack Lemmon
Sylvia Plath
Albert DeSalvo
Billy & Whitey Bulger
Arthur Fiedler
Leonard Nimoy
George HW Bush(?)

Contemporarilly:

Joe Kennedy & Tom Menino
Steven Tyler & Joe Perry
Rick Ocasek
Amy Mann
Peter Wolf
Bobby Brown
Donna Summer
Tom Schultz & Boston
Woody/Arlo Guthrie
James Taylor
Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn
Cliff Clavin
Dennis Leary
Tom Bergeron
Marky Mark & NKOTB
The Pixies
Rob Zombie
Matt Damon & Ben Affleck
jojo

Of these all, right now I'd say the current Boston Poster boys may still be Aerosmith, but I do agree Damon and Affleck are beginning to seem more contemporaneously representative.

In the all time history of Boston, I think Sam Adams wins the prize.

============

I won't overdue the NYC notables, But just to mention a few:

Frank Sinatra
Simon & Garfunkyl
Lou Reed
Harvey Keitel
Al Pacino
Alan Alda
Robert Deniro
Carroll O'Connor
Mickey Rourke
Madonna
Paul Stanley
Deborah Harry
The Ramones
JP Morgan
The Rockafellars
Donald Trump
Andy Warhol
David Letterman
Barbara Walters

Old 05-09-2009, 11:42 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Boston celebrity stereotypes: I would say Ben Affleck & Matt Damon, I'd go with Matt Damon as he's more likeable guy. Music, well Aerosmith, and well.....we're not proud of it but New Kids on the Block came from these parts, lol. How about a San Antonio music celebrity? Selena perhaps?

What's all this noise about the Obama fans in Dallas county? I mean come on, duh! Dallas is a big city and Obama carried the lions share of the urban vote across the land. And yes Atlanta is very sprawly but as mentioned before it does have a lot of trees and it's a very pretty city, nice skyline too. I also like the Dallas skyline as well. So is Dallas a nicer looking city than Houston? I've never been to Houston but I've mostly heard it's not very attractive.
Yep, Damon & Affleck are good current celebs that should make Boston proud. Since I love Boston, I'll consider the Craigslist murder suspect to be off the list of possible celebrity endorsement candidates. I understand about not being proud of the NKOTB hailing from Boston. But everybody comes from somewhere. Dallas is in the unfortunate position of being the city in which a president was assassinated AND it is associated with George W. Bush. At least he wasn't born here (Connecticut gets that distinction). But, despite that heavy cross to bear, Dallas still mostly thrives and pleasantly surprises many outsiders.

With regard to the topic of Obama's support in Dallas County, recent elections have proven that blue is the majority here and the demographics suggest that trend will be accelerating. The county is blue and the city is blue-er (bluer?). Of course there are those here who don't like his politics. That's to be expected. Rivaling ideologies are fine with me and they keep things interesting. No need to segregate people by their political beliefs as some intolerant hack suggested earlier in this thread.

About Houston's appearance, it's rather unfortunate because it didn't have to look that way. The lack of zoning there makes large parts of it look very seedy. That's not to say there aren't beautiful areas with deed restrictions (River Oaks, Memorial, the Museum district...) and it does have a killer skyline. But when you are driving into the city from any direction it just has a rather tawdry look about it. It's common to see a single family home, a nude modeling studio, a tire shop, apartments, a fast food chain and an office building all within close proximity to each other. Oh, I can't forget the omnipresent billboards. Put all of that on top of a flat landscape and it just looks awful. But, Houston has a great personality. It has to. So, yes, Dallas is better looking than Houston just by virtue of the fact that it has zoning. Plus the central part of Dallas has more hills. But, it's no San Francisco either. Dallas has just taken what it does have and enhanced it (much like Jessica Simpson) so that it has a much more polished look about it than Houston.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:02 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Fun thread! Here's mine:

Well since Boston is so old you might have to represent it by eras. In such a historical sense I would say:

Squanto and Massasoit
The Pilgrims and Puritans
Cotton Mather and the Salem witches
John Harvard
John Hancock, Sam Adams and Paul Revere
John & JQ Adams
Edgar Allan Poe
Ralph waldo emerson
Oliver Wendell Holmes
William Garrison and the Abolitionists
Clara Barton
Alexander Graham Bell
Henry David Thoreau
Honey Fitz and the Kennedys
John Sullivan & Rocky Marciano
Michael Curley
Cy Young
Ted Williams
Jack Lemmon
Sylvia Plath
Albert DeSalvo
Billy & Whitey Bulger
Arthur Fiedler
Leonard Nimoy
George HW Bush(?)

Contemporarilly:

Joe Kennedy & Tom Menino
Steven Tyler & Joe Perry
Rick Ocasek
Amy Mann
Peter Wolf
Bobby Brown
Donna Summer
Tom Schultz & Boston
Woody/Arlo Guthrie
James Taylor
Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn
Cliff Clavin
Dennis Leary
Tom Bergeron
Marky Mark & NKOTB
The Pixies
Rob Zombie
Matt Damon & Ben Affleck
jojo

Of these all, right now I'd say the current Boston Poster boys may still be Aerosmith, but I do agree Damon and Affleck are beginning to seem more contemporaneously representative.

In the all time history of Boston, I think Sam Adams wins the prize.

============

I won't overdue the NYC notables, But just to mention a few:

Frank Sinatra
Simon & Garfunkyl
Lou Reed
Harvey Keitel
Al Pacino
Alan Alda
Robert Deniro
Carroll O'Connor
Mickey Rourke
Madonna
Paul Stanley
Deborah Harry
The Ramones
JP Morgan
The Rockafellars
Donald Trump
Andy Warhol
David Letterman
Barbara Walters
That's quite an exhaustive and interesting list that you have put together to represent Boston. I love the broad diversity among the people on your list (Donna Summer, Noam Chomsky & Cliff Claven). Well thought out!

As for NYC, Frank Sinatra is a perfect rep, but for some reason I was subconsciously only thinking about Jewish people when I made my list. Too many years with a wonderful Jewish therapist in NYC perhaps. I begrudgingly acknowlege that Donald Trump deserves to be on the list as well, but I still can't stand that guy.

Here's some more dead celebs (dedlebs?) that I thought might represent Dallas or the stereotypes of Dallas: Ann Richards, Jayne Mansfield, Mary Kay Ash, Tom Landry, Raymond Nasher & Stanley Marcus. Still living: Ebby Halliday, Ross Perot, the Dixie Chicks and Owen Wilson.

Last edited by Dallas native; 05-10-2009 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 PM

77 posts, read 227,814 times
Let's face it people. Texas is the greatest country on the planet. Not a boast. We Texans are very humble. Our modesty disallows us of professing the gospel of our superiority too much. As much as we try, it's hard to keep our country a secret. Actual and factual.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsez View Post
Let's face it people. Texas is the greatest country on the planet. Not a boast. We Texans are very humble. Our modesty disallows us of professing the gospel of our superiority too much. As much as we try, it's hard to keep our country a secret. Actual and factual.
Ah nice, this thread is going back to my original inquiry and topic. You're on to something, and I'd love to hear you elaborate on why you think Texans are the cat's meow.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Yep, Damon & Affleck are good current celebs that should make Boston proud. Since I love Boston, I'll consider the Craigslist murder suspect to be off the list of possible celebrity endorsement candidates. I understand about not being proud of the NKOTB hailing from Boston. But everybody comes from somewhere. Dallas is in the unfortunate position of being the city in which a president was assassinated AND it is associated with George W. Bush. At least he wasn't born here (Connecticut gets that distinction). But, despite that heavy cross to bear, Dallas still mostly thrives and pleasantly surprises many outsiders.

With regard to the topic of Obama's support in Dallas County, recent elections have proven that blue is the majority here and the demographics suggest that trend will be accelerating. The county is blue and the city is blue-er (bluer?). Of course there are those here who don't like his politics. That's to be expected. Rivaling ideologies are fine with me and they keep things interesting. No need to segregate people by their political beliefs as some intolerant hack suggested earlier in this thread.

About Houston's appearance, it's rather unfortunate because it didn't have to look that way. The lack of zoning there makes large parts of it look very seedy. That's not to say there aren't beautiful areas with deed restrictions (River Oaks, Memorial, the Museum district...) and it does have a killer skyline. But when you are driving into the city from any direction it just has a rather tawdry look about it. It's common to see a single family home, a nude modeling studio, a tire shop, apartments, a fast food chain and an office building all within close proximity to each other. Oh, I can't forget the omnipresent billboards. Put all of that on top of a flat landscape and it just looks awful. But, Houston has a great personality. It has to. So, yes, Dallas is better looking than Houston just by virtue of the fact that it has zoning. Plus the central part of Dallas has more hills. But, it's no San Francisco either. Dallas has just taken what it does have and enhanced it (much like Jessica Simpson) so that it has a much more polished look about it than Houston.
So Dallas is suddenly a blue county because they voted for Obama. Uh nice try but Dallas also voted for Bush in the last election. The reason Obama won in Dallas has a lot to do with the fact conservatives were just as disenchanted with John McCain particularly Texas Republicans because McCain opposed your boy Bush in 2000. And it's rather funny because the surrounding counties outside Dallas are conservative Republican counties. It's amusing because the Dallas homers constantly try to isolate Dallas from it's surrounding suburbs and cities such as Ft. Worth when in reality they are all part of the same city and bleed into one another. You guys try to make it seem as if those cities are so separated from Dallas and it's clearly not. Seriously, you guys try to make it seem like Dallas and Ft. Worth are like Chicago and Danville, Illinois or something. Unlike 99% of the people here, I have to gain by speaking well of Dallas. It's not my home. I just lived there temporarily. The people on this forum remind me of realtors who feel the need to talk up an area even if it means misrepresenting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas