U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 01:42 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,422,327 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are new to Texas and we are not used to Bermuda grass.
I was wondering if anyone can give us some tips/secrets to having a REALLY GREEN lawn. For those of you that have a very dark green lawn...can you tell us your secrets?

So far all I have used is Ironite.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 02:51 PM

4,191 posts, read 14,057,856 times
I think they spray paint it...

Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
I think they spray paint it...
I will wait until its time to sell it to spray paint it...

Old 05-10-2009, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 66,022 times
call Tru-Green Chem-Lawn its only $30-60 buck a month and its guarantee it.

I worked there for a year ....lol don't buy all 8 apps. just do 4 and then your considered a full costumer and can receive free apps. in between your 4 you buy. don't tell them I told you that.....lol stick it to them!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM

4,976 posts, read 12,099,229 times
I have a bermuda yard. I fertilize twice a year and it looks pretty good. Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and tell them you need fertilizer for bermuda grass. I use Scott's weed & feed with a drop spreader. Make sure you keep the weed and feed out of your flower beds. I water twice a week during the hottest part of the summer. A good deep watering is much better than several shallow waterings. Good luck with your grass.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I have a bermuda yard. I fertilize twice a year and it looks pretty good. Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and tell them you need fertilizer for bermuda grass. I use Scott's weed & feed with a drop spreader. Make sure you keep the weed and feed out of your flower beds. I water twice a week during the hottest part of the summer. A good deep watering is much better than several shallow waterings. Good luck with your grass.
Ok, thanks! What time of the year do you fertilize it? I think I have heard the fall and then early spring? Would it be ok for me to fertilize it now?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM

14,872 posts, read 38,995,132 times
Yes, you can still fertilize now using a weed & feed. In the Fall you put down a good pre-emergence to keep weeds from coming up in the Spring.

If you have a lot of shade Bermuda will not do good. It needs a LOT of sun. You can thin your trees out to help but if it is just too shady it won't work and you will have a bare yard or weeds. Then it is time to just go w/ another grass.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,047,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Ok, thanks! What time of the year do you fertilize it? I think I have heard the fall and then early spring? Would it be ok for me to fertilize it now?
This is a great time to fertilize. Unless you have a widespread weed problem, you should go with a straight fertilizer since you will get much more nitrogen into the soil that way - then just use a weed killer spray to treat the occasional dandelion (or just dig them up).

Also, for bermuda, you should keep it cut fairly short this time of year to encourage it to grow thicker.

If you start seeing any crab grass pop up now, be sure and dig it out (standard weed killer won't hurt it). If you wait until it starts to spread, it's game over for you (this is the voice of hard experience speaking ).

Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM

7,347 posts, read 11,649,587 times
I just got done mowing my bermuda jungle in the back yard. I let it go 3 weeks and with all the rain we've gotten, the grass was over 6 inches tall.

I'm trying to get my lawn on a regimen this year so I can wipe out the last nemesis, crab grass, by next spring. Here's what I'm doing, and minus the occasional clump of crabgrass, the lawn is extraordinarily green:

Early Feb: Pre-emergent & Scotts Weed-N-Feed
Next weekend: Pre-emergent
Late July/Early August: Turf Builder & perhaps some MSMA
Mid-late November: Winterizer and pre-emergent

Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
This is a great time to fertilize. Unless you have a widespread weed problem, you should go with a straight fertilizer since you will get much more nitrogen into the soil that way - then just use a weed killer spray to treat the occasional dandelion (or just dig them up).

Also, for bermuda, you should keep it cut fairly short this time of year to encourage it to grow thicker.

If you start seeing any crab grass pop up now, be sure and dig it out (standard weed killer won't hurt it). If you wait until it starts to spread, it's game over for you (this is the voice of hard experience speaking ).
Haha... thanks for the information/advice! We don't have any weed problems, I've killed all of them and they are staying away now. So I will go straight with the fertilizer. I just put down some ironite this weekend. That won't mess anything up will it? I'm going to put the fertilizer down this coming weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas