Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:23 AM

127 posts, read 259,222 times

Advertisements

I'm young single guy who's moving out to the Dallas area from Southern California. I am going to be working from home out of wherever I live so I can live pretty much where ever.

But, since i'm working from home I need some extra space to setup my home office (like the dining area of most apartments or a den).
Being able to live anywhere is proving too overwhelming for me. Please help!

The only things I have in mind are that I have a friend in Carrollton, friends in Euless, and Church in downtown. Also, I can't afford more than $550/mo and need it to be a insulated enough apartment such that since I'm working at home my electric bill isn't astronomical!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
That price range is going to be tough to find enough space in a low-crime area. Use an apartment locator...

Old 05-09-2009, 08:52 AM

right, I've been looking online. The problem is that most people who post reviews of complexes have a chip on their shoulder so its hard to get an accurate description. Also, I don't know whats "high" and whats "low" crime areas. I already live in an area were we have a handful of cars broken into every few months. Sometimes there are breakins during the day (rarely). I'd say I already live in medium crime area.

Does anyone know anything about a place like this:La Costa in Irving, TX
La Costa in Irving? I think I could just barely afford the $590 for their two floor 1 bedroom model. My only concern is the cost of cooling it while working at home during the summer.

Another option I've looked at is the Knollwood Apartments in Irving. Knollwood Apartments for Rent | Rent Knollwood, 2727 Walnut Hill, Irving, TX with ApartmentSearch by CORT

Old 05-09-2009, 03:00 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Be careful in Irving, especially the further south you get from 161. This areas' apartments are older, and there are a lot of them crammed in a little space.

You really need to come out in person and see things, or use an actual apartment locator service. I agree that the listings on the web are very biased...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks, that helps a bit.
Two things.
Does anyone recommend any particular apartment locators? How long do they take/How much do they cost?

Second I am re-thinking my space requirements. I was thinking that I needed some extra space because I will be working out of my apartment but after reading about all the electric bill horror stories I think it will be better to just be cramped and cool.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any newer (read: better insulated) complexes with ~600sqft for ~$550. Again since I'm working out of my apartment I can live anywhere but would like to be close to either Euless or Carrollton or somewhere inbetween.
Thanks!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
just curious how much are you paying in Southern California for rent. Its got to be a lot more than $600.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your not going to find anything that isnt ghetto for $500 a month. Maybe you should find a roomate and split the cost of an nicer place or even a rental house.

$700 is about the bottom of the price range in Dallas for something that is decent.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
you also need to be aware that many apt complexes sell electricity to their apt renters--so you do not have a choice as to your electrical provider and cannot shop for cheap rates--basically you wind up paying for the lights that the apt complex uses in addition to your own--like the lights in the parking lot..those apt complexes have high rent--my son and dil lives in one in carrollton area
so for any apt that you are considering--make sure that YOU can choose your electrical provider--that is the best way to make sure that you get as low a rate on KWH as you can...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM

Right now I live with 4 other guys in a small 3 bedroom apartment that is $1550/mo. Its old, no central AC, really crappy interior, and a low crime area (only 5-10 cars broken into a year).

I have my own room so I pay a bit more than my roommates ($355/mo) and we split all the utilities. Since there's no AC or Washer/dryer its never been over $70 even in the summer.

Since I'm working at home I don't think having a roommate will work.

One of the places I am seriously looking at in Irving I mentioned earlier in the thread, La Costa, gives the option of choosing your provider. The units were built in 1984, which for the LA area would be considered pretty new (but I hear thats not the case for Dallas). I was most interested in their two floor 1 bedroom unit ($590 780sqft) but I think the utilities will be too much. They have a suspiciously cheap 1 floor 1 bedroom unit for $450 (~500sqft). It looks like its right next to a very nice looking neighborhood too.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
I'm young single guy who's moving out to the Dallas area from Southern California. I am going to be working from home out of wherever I live so I can live pretty much where ever.

But, since i'm working from home I need some extra space to setup my home office (like the dining area of most apartments or a den).
Being able to live anywhere is proving too overwhelming for me. Please help!

The only things I have in mind are that I have a friend in Carrollton, friends in Euless, and Church in downtown. Also, I can't afford more than $550/mo and need it to be a insulated enough apartment such that since I'm working at home my electric bill isn't astronomical!

Thanks!

Aren't options great.
Couldn't get that in Cali!
Good luck to you.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
My friend is paying less than $700, utilities included, for a 2-2 in Addison off of Spring Valley--and that's for the entire place.

There is a huge mixture of properties in Dallas. You probably couldn't get a decent 1 bedroom place for less than a grand in Uptown, but if you were to live in West Dallas you could get a comprable sized place for less than $500.

One note is the three things you mentioned are scattered all over the place. Carrollton, Euless, and downtown basically form a triangle with about 20-mile long legs, so those locations are pretty scattered. Irving is probably as central as you can get for those locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas