Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I would say based on what I have seen that Grapevine is really nice for a family. Not sure about the commute for you but if someone has said that going east on 635 is not that bad then go for it. I know the home my friend has near the lake there is older but nice neighborhood and the prices were under 200k back in Sept. Also it will def be an easy commute for yr wife and if there was traffic she may not even have to get on the freeway.

Just had a thought that going east on 635 in the morn would be the way everyone is going to get to 35 and into Dallas so I would think that would be a mess. Wouldn't it?
There would be a little heavy volume before 35, but past 35 going east, it's a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 02:10 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Grapevine has so much more going for it than Coppell and the school district is just as good. Coppell to me is one of the most sterile, boring areas of the metroplex.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
some people would argue that Coppell, is low-key, quiet, stable
I like the fact that Coppell has low-signage so that you don't get a forrest of billboards/store signs as you drive through--seems much more restrained...
you can get pretty much anyplace you want to go fairly easily from Coppell and don't always have to get on the freeway--
and Coppell ISD is really a top notch district

Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 PM

149 posts, read 567,843 times
Grapevine is a super cute town with lots of character, but I don't think of Coppell as sterile at all. Like the previous OP nice to have the low signs, small town feel and great schools. I think for the most part the small town feel can be said of both places. The reason though Coppell stands out to me is it's proximity to everything. You have several highways to choose from 114/ 635 / 35/ GBT/ etc to go just about anywhere. It is for sure a bedroom community, but it's location close to lots of things is super nice and so many great parks and community activities going on year round there is always something to do. The house prices though in Grapevine are attractive for newer homes, but we like Coppell and are willing to go a bit smaller for what we feel works better for our family, but don't think you could go wrong in either place. Good luck on your decision. We were looking at the same areas you were just a few years ago as well.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex1234 View Post
My wife and I have been planning to purchase our first home around DFW area and needed some suggestions. My work is located in between 75 & 635 and my wife's work is at south of DFW airport. Our budget is between $250K and $300K. Coppell seems to be our ideal location with a good school district, but the home price seems to be either on the higher end or over our budget. So, we are expanding our selections and open for suggestions, could anybody help? Any suggestions are welcome. We are basically looking for somewhere it's still convenient to go to work, but it's also afforadable with a good school district. Thank you in advance!
Every one of those cities or areas have lots of positives and good schools. Yes, Coppell is pricey, but they have outstanding schools. Flower Mound is an awesome family town, with great shopping, lots of activities for kids and the prices are less than Coppell, but the commute would be on the rough side. I think I would shoot for Grapevine. No, the commute may not be a dream come true, but you have to take the bad with the good sometimes and it is a wonderful city on the uphill climb.

Nita

Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 PM

11 posts, read 44,947 times
Grapevine is hard to beat... schools are excellent. I live in Grapevine and work near 635 and 75... looking at 35 minute commute with traffic.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
They're all excellent areas and roughly the same culturally except for less airport noise in FM and Lewisville and slightly worse public schools in Lewisville proper.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
They're all excellent areas and roughly the same culturally except for less airport noise in FM and Lewisville and slightly worse public schools in Lewisville proper.
right about Lewisville proper, but even then, the schools are pretty darn good. There is an element in the south part of Lewisville, off 35 that brings the entire school achievement scores etc down from the rest of Lewisville schools. This affects the high school the most I think.

NIta

ps: I wonder what the OP ended up doing, it has been awhile since he posted.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 AM

13 posts, read 62,524 times
Back to the original question without traffic concerns (because I have no idea how the traffic is on 635 going east in the morning hours).

I agree Coppell is a really nice area, but a little pricey. I have lived in Grapevine for the last few years and believe you would be hard-pressed to find a nicer area. The homes and taxes run less than Colleyville and Southlake, and Grapevine has lots of nice amenities. It has a historic downtown area that is quite quaint and the city has a wonderful parks and recreation department that offers lots of classes for both adults and children. It also has, probably, the best library in the area. Another nice thing about Grapevine is that most of it is west of the airport and doesn't have to put up with airport noise. The school district (Grapevine/Colleyville ISD) is excellent, although the schools on the north side (above northwest hwy) are not as good as the others. You can find a nice home within your price range. There is a nice area around Parr Park (off Pool, next to Cross Timbers Middle) that probably have homes within your price range. Also look just east of 121 off Hall-Johnson. I believe homes around there might fit your requirements.

The other choice you mentioned was Flower Mound. I LOVE Flower Mound. It is experiencing a lot of growth, but it seems to be well planned and the town is really attractive. Again, you can find a home within your budget. While other cities have "not so good points", I can't think of one about Flower Mound. I don't think it has a bad area or a bad school. People i know who live there, love it.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishaelaine View Post
Back to the original question without traffic concerns (because I have no idea how the traffic is on 635 going east in the morning hours).

I agree Coppell is a really nice area, but a little pricey. I have lived in Grapevine for the last few years and believe you would be hard-pressed to find a nicer area. The homes and taxes run less than Colleyville and Southlake, and Grapevine has lots of nice amenities. It has a historic downtown area that is quite quaint and the city has a wonderful parks and recreation department that offers lots of classes for both adults and children. It also has, probably, the best library in the area. Another nice thing about Grapevine is that most of it is west of the airport and doesn't have to put up with airport noise. The school district (Grapevine/Colleyville ISD) is excellent, although the schools on the north side (above northwest hwy) are not as good as the others. You can find a nice home within your price range. There is a nice area around Parr Park (off Pool, next to Cross Timbers Middle) that probably have homes within your price range. Also look just east of 121 off Hall-Johnson. I believe homes around there might fit your requirements.

The other choice you mentioned was Flower Mound. I LOVE Flower Mound. It is experiencing a lot of growth, but it seems to be well planned and the town is really attractive. Again, you can find a home within your budget. While other cities have "not so good points", I can't think of one about Flower Mound. I don't think it has a bad area or a bad school. People i know who live there, love it.
We seem to share some thoughts here: I love Grapevine, it has some nice residentual areas, good school and a cute down town, yes, Flower MOund does seem to be a well planned community. I really think the west and no west side of Dallas has a lot to offer.

Oh, I would add one more thing, here we are, all giving the OP advise and I bet, from the original date he/she came on the board the decision has been made.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas