Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times

Advertisements

Such a good alliteration for "West" Plano:

Parvenu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 490,833 times
"West Plano kids don't realize that if their families had real money or breeding they'd be living in Highland Park. It's a very, very new money culture, and if you don't want to be a part of that, I would suggest not living there."

Interesting...I am moving from Atlanta with "real" money. Highland Park is the last place I'd live. Based on my research there is absolutely no diversity. I'm actually considering buying in Plano. It apperars there is some diversity. Highland Park is not for everyong even for people who can afford to live there.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
"West Plano kids don't realize that if their families had real money or breeding they'd be living in Highland Park. It's a very, very new money culture, and if you don't want to be a part of that, I would suggest not living there."

Interesting...I am moving from Atlanta with "real" money. Highland Park is the last place I'd live. Based on my research there is absolutely no diversity. I'm actually considering buying in Plano. It apperars there is some diversity. Highland Park is not for everyong even for people who can afford to live there.
There's not much more diversity in west Plano. You have some affluent Asians and Indians there, but it's still mainly white.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM

6,715 posts, read 13,937,463 times
West Plano has some diversity while Highland Park has none. I see it as old money vs new money. They both have great schools but there is some snobbery with some of the residents. I don't think it is as widespread as soon would lead you to believe. You just have to pick out whats important to you. No place is perfect.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,423,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
West Plano has some diversity while Highland Park has none. I see it as old money vs new money. They both have great schools but there is some snobbery with some of the residents. I don't think it is as widespread as soon would lead you to believe. You just have to pick out whats important to you. No place is perfect.
Exactly! West Plano is very much "new money". Also, most people that reside in West Plano are semi-new to the DFW area. There are some natives, but not many. Highland Park has quite a bit of Dallas natives.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,904,400 times
Default Re:

I love how posters are putting down West Plano as "new money".

So, I should judge people who have gone out and made something of themselves by their own skills and ambition as inferior to "old money" families who just inherited their wealth?

Apparently some time warp has transported city-data.com from the US to the UK.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

So, I should judge people who have gone out and made something of themselves by their own skills and ambition as inferior to "old money" families who just inherited their wealth?

I think it is more a judgment of their behavior vs a criticism of their financial success in general. "Old money" stereotypically has nothing to prove by conspicuous consumption and are "secure" that others perceive them as rich. "New money" stereotypically has something to prove and so they try to outdo each other with big houses, expensive cars, flashy clothing, jewelry, etc. and are eager and anxious to be perceived as not just affluent but RICH.

I think this is an accurate description of west Plano vs Highland Park though there are exceptions in both places; some Park Cities people fit the "new money" stereotype and some west Plano people fit the "old money" stereotype. I would not fit in in either place so I don't really care. The Park Cities have a reputation for being anti-Semitic and the Collin County Jew Crew is too snobby for my taste!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 PM

6,715 posts, read 13,937,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

Calling West Plano new money is not putting it down. The majority of Plano/Frisco/Allen is made up of transplants not folks native to DFW. Highland Park is made up of many folks who went to school in Highland Park as kids. I'm not judging either but simply pointing out facts.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,904,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think it is more a judgment of their behavior vs a criticism of their financial success in general. "Old money" stereotypically has nothing to prove by conspicuous consumption and are "secure" that others perceive them as rich. "New money" stereotypically has something to prove and so they try to outdo each other with big houses, expensive cars, flashy clothing, jewelry, etc. and are eager and anxious to be perceived as not just affluent but RICH.

I think this is an accurate description of west Plano vs Highland Park though there are exceptions in both places; some Park Cities people fit the "new money" stereotype and some west Plano people fit the "old money" stereotype. I would not fit in in either place so I don't really care. The Park Cities have a reputation for being anti-Semitic and the Collin County Jew Crew is too snobby for my taste!
Highland Park folks don't have big houses (or at least super-expensive houses), expensive cars, flashy clothing, and jewelry???

To be precise, most of the "Collin County Jew Crew" (that's a new one) lives in Far North Dallas (centered around Hillcrest/Frankford) instead of in Plano. Frankford Middle School - heavily Jewish. Renner Middle - not so much.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,996,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Jew Crew
You've never heard of "Jew Crew"? I buy all my medium quality cotton golf shirts from that store.

They look like the polo shirts the kids in HP wear, but with a Star of David embroidered on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas