Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,462,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hollywoodian View Post
I really don't want my kids to grow up in this kind of environment where there's a constant competition based upon how much money you have, what you drive, or what you have. This makes for very shallow and superficial personalities in my opinion. My question is, is the social dynamic in West Plano really this bad or are these points just broad generalizations?
Dude...hollywoodian...are you serious???

Old 05-23-2009, 02:47 PM

40 posts, read 76,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Oh heavens. Get your panties out of a wad
Right, and this is coming from a woman with a clear and deep-rooted resentment not just toward West Plano, but any area which is deemed more affluent or garners more praise than her own.

I would ask you if you actually read what you post, but that would be a dumb question considering the obviously vast amount of time you spend littering every single West Plano thread with your warped, repetitive, and irritating invective criticism of the area. To anyone reading your virulence, it's evident that you have some kind of compulsive obsession with West Plano that you really should have checked out.

Quote:
If you could not see the humor in my first post in this thread....... wow, just wow. All of us were having fun with it. At least we were TRYING to till someone got all pissy and wanted to start comparing incomes.
If having fun means the tiresome bad-mouthing claiming inaccurate information about an area as fact, yes, I will provide sources of information which denounce your claims, as I did with that blog comparing incomes.

You, among others have continually suggested that West Plano's so-called "new money" is not comparable to the wealth in other parts of Dallas. When I provided data that contradict those assertions, you were quick to point out that wealth and income are two separate ideals. It's as though the parameters just keep shifting.

Now instead of propogating your own baseless OPINIONS (because really, that's what they are) as fact, how about you present actual data which corroborates them? Otherwise, you just prove my point about making claims out of a certain orafice.

Quote:
Which, btw, my next door neighbors income gets posted annually in certain publications in Dallas as being one of the tops in the Dallas area, lol. Your the one trying to compare yourself and any FUTURE neighbors in West Plano to the residents of the Park Cities. The rest of us could really care less. But hey, if you want to try and judge how "wealthy" someone may be simply based on what their REPORTED income might be and the zipcode they reside in, knock yourself out.
Ah, delusions of self-grandeur. I love it. Yes, this coming from a woman who, in every thread (because I've actually read them all) pertaining to West Plano makes it a point to let everyone know that she lives in the "nicer" part of Garland with neighbors just as "affluent" as those in Plano, and even in this thread, just had to mention that she drove a BMW. Seriously, could you be any more hypocritical?

I'm not comparing myself to anyone; the income comparisons were to thwart criticism about the "true wealth" arguments, not to compare and/or judge individuals based on their salaries. And, I must ask, what other form of income would be used to judge the affluence of an area? That's right, Census regulated REPORTED income on tax returns; so the suggestion that there may be a discrepancy between actual and reported income is just non-sensical.

Quote:
As long as they are happy and I'm VERY HAPPY with where I live and I absolutely LOVE my neighbors and we don't sit around comparing paystubs to see who will fit in (hmmm, some of them don't get them as they are in that position called "retirement" even though they are very young ).
Yes, and that explains why, instead of providing information and assistance to others on where you live, you feel the need to express your delusional, grudging, opinion-touted-as-fact vitriol AD NAUSEUM in every single West Plano thread. Clearly, this is someone confident and content in their current neighborhood.

Though, seeing the noticeable lack of people interested in the Garland area, I can almost see why you wouldn't be.

Quote:
How am I different? I allow my kids to attend school w/ people from ALL backgrounds be it ethnic and/or their families income level. I make friends w/ people from all backgrounds easily. That is how I'm different. I don't feel the need to post on a public forum that I only want to leave near "wealthy people" as you have.
Great, now what do you want? Some kind of Nobel Peace Prize or something? Why can't you accept that maybe that's not for everyone? People will continue to live where they want, with their money, regardless of your own personal opinions/insecurities.

Quote:
If you really did not care what areas were the "wealthiest" you would not be spouting off some of the stuff you have been. And no, I am VERY secure with myself, my life and my family and not the least bit jealous of ANYONE! I've got a great life and thank God for it everyday. I've also got great friends that are more like family that don't care who makes how much and where everyone lives.
I wish I could believe that.

Quote:
Have fun in your little enclave.
I most certainly will.

Last edited by the_hollywoodian; 05-23-2009 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
OK, whatever. They are not ALL professional athletes. A lot of them are.
Yes, because you've gone door to door to EVERY single residence in Willowbend-Gleneagles and recorded the ethnicities and professions of all households. Do you care to provide any sources of information which corroborate this?

Quote:
I suspect there are more black (and white, for that matter) pro athletes in Gleneagles than black executives.
Of course. You know, blacks just aren't capable of any kind of profession which requires serious brain power and to expect anything more than physical prowess and success related to, is just too high a standard for those lowly blacks.

Quote:
Last time I checked, the executive ranks of EDS, JC Penney, Cinemark, etc. looked awfully pale.
Right, because Plano-based corporations are the only employers of people who live in Willowbend and West Plano.

Quote:
Really, who cares? The relevant point is that a black person, regardless of how he makes his money, will find a welcoming enviroment in Plano, unlike HP/UP. You did notice the goose eggs for the black populations in every other neighborhood posted, right?
Are you speaking from personal experience or just continuing this trend of baseless opinions?

Quote:
Tell you what: Come over to my house. We'll go in the bathroom, whip 'em out, and compare. (W-2's, that is! What did you think I was talking about?)

Seriously, you don't know anything about me. I live in the same West Plano that you do.
Funny, the clear defensiveness expressed when someone makes broad based assumptions about you, yet you can't understand why someone would be offended about your comments regarding blacks in Willowbend?

Quote:
I have a "comfortable" income, and if a black executive were making ten times my yearly income, I'd be reading about him in Black Enterprise or maybe even Forbes.
Because of course, EVERY successful black person is going to have write ups in such magazines, and of course, Forbes and Black Enterprise are the only such publications which cover these individuals. Seriously, do you have any idea how ignorant you come across?

Quote:
Don't go personal on an online forum.
Like you can talk.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Dude...hollywoodian...are you serious???
Are you?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:44 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,583,762 times
I'm just wondering, hollywoodian, were you wanting the first post to turn out true? Because it kinda sounds like you do. You're coming on to a forum and asking for honest opionions about a neighborhood and area you don't live in. You've received them. And yet you're choosing to attack the people who you've asked about an area simply because they've given their honest opinion about a neighborhood. You're using raw numbers to defend an area that you wanted us to give you an opinion on, whereas the people on this forum are familiar with Dallas and are going to tell you the way things work here. It's a little ridiculous. If you wanted us to say "please lie and tell me that West Plano is the most elite neighborhood of Dallas," you could have posted that and someone would have responded. But when you ask for an opionion about a snooty-sounding facebook page, and you get it, it's really poor manners of you to criticize those who respond in a way you weren't wanting them to.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I'm just wondering, hollywoodian, were you wanting the first post to turn out true? Because it kinda sounds like you do. You're coming on to a forum and asking for honest opionions about a neighborhood and area you don't live in. You've received them. And yet you're choosing to attack the people who you've asked about an area simply because they've given their honest opinion about a neighborhood. You're using raw numbers to defend an area that you wanted us to give you an opinion on, whereas the people on this forum are familiar with Dallas and are going to tell you the way things work here. It's a little ridiculous. If you wanted us to say "please lie and tell me that West Plano is the most elite neighborhood of Dallas," you could have posted that and someone would have responded. But when you ask for an opionion about a snooty-sounding facebook page, and you get it, it's really poor manners of you to criticize those who respond in a way you weren't wanting them to.
Coming from someone who has a self-admitted bias to West Plano, and it's people, that's really rich!

I was asking whether the social dynamics of West Plano were such, and consistant with some of the obvious sarcasm on that Facebook group. I was not asking for people (especially the SAME people) to continue on with their recycled garbage of tiresome Plano bashing and the so-called faulty "new money" mentality. Yes, there's a difference.

We GET IT, Lakewooder and momof2dfw and a few others hate West Plano and the rest of "parvenu" far north Dallas. We don't need to hear the SAME arguments rehashed OVER and OVER.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Coming from someone who has a self-admitted bias to West Plano, and it's people, that's really rich!

I was asking whether the social dynamics of West Plano were such, and consistant with some of the obvious sarcasm on that Facebook group. I was not asking for people (especially the SAME people) to continue on with their recycled garbage of tiresome Plano bashing and the so-called faulty "new money" mentality. Yes, there's a difference.

We GET IT, Lakewooder and momof2dfw and a few others hate West Plano and the rest of "parvenu" far north Dallas. We don't need to hear the SAME arguments rehashed OVER and OVER.
The post was very typical of the parvenu mentality of West Plano. I don't have a bias against West Plano--just some of the people who live there. I don't particularly like the new money attitude that a lot of the West Plano kids have--I have nothing really against their parents, who tend to be very hard working and industrious people. I don't particularly like the "custom homes" that many of them have built, but they have the right to do that so long as it isn't in my neighborhood. But their children, in their attitude, clothing, property, and even accent, don't really act the way that Dallasites have for many, many years--that is, they are rather uncouth, gaudy, undignified, whatever you want to call it.

But the fact is that, while the facebook group is obviously distorted a bit, it's relatively reflective of the way that high school age children from western Plano behave. They drive flashy cars, drink underage, and make fun of middle-income people because their fathers make more money. If you don't want your kids to behave like that, it doesn't mean you don't need to move to West Plano, it just means you ought to teach your kids proper manners.

And you're rather defensive of an area that you don't live in. I'm simply pointing that out. You've asked people for their insight and then have gone ahead to criticize that insight. It's crazy. We've answered your question honestly and fairly and for you to respond in such a way isn't very polite.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,226,818 times
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As others have said it's simply a facebook group run by high school kids. We as adults see the flaws in such thinking, but in all honesty its pretty normal teenage stuff and certainly not exclusive to West Plano. High school is very clique-ish, there will always be the haves versus the have nots. Sometimes these divisions are within one campus, other times there are cross town rivalries. It's probably just a small group of kids, and I doubt it represent the high school as a whole. They may just be having fun and playing into stereotypes.

I've seen the same snotty attitude from kids at Berkner in Richardson, not all of course but there is always a few.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
The post was very typical of the parvenu mentality of West Plano. I don't have a bias against West Plano--just some of the people who live there. I don't particularly like the new money attitude that a lot of the West Plano kids have--I have nothing really against their parents, who tend to be very hard working and industrious people.
I really question your assertions though that typical "old money" children, such as those inhabiting the bubble communities of Highland Park and University Park, do not suffer from the same attitudes of entitlement and obnoxiousness as their obviously inferior "parvenu" comrads in the far-flung reaches of West Plano. You're telling me that the Highland Park, University Park, and Preston Hollow kids are this prime example of class and civility? Get real!

Truthfully, it's the so-called "old money" crowd who invented this sort of rebellious-egoistic-materialistic attitude, prominent and observable amongst all wealthy kids, not just ones from areas deemed nouveau riche.

Quote:
I don't particularly like the "custom homes" that many of them have built, but they have the right to do that so long as it isn't in my neighborhood.
That's a rather pompous statement, coming from someone who claims to loathe pretentiousness (a staple only among the "new money" sort, course).

Quote:
But their children, in their attitude, clothing, property, and even accent, don't really act the way that Dallasites have for many, many years--that is, they are rather uncouth, gaudy, undignified, whatever you want to call it.
Are you sure? Because in Los Angeles and New York the word is that Dallas is EXTREMELY pretentious. Many from these cities can't understand why it would be, as the wealth in both the Los Angeles and New York metros is considerably larger.

Furthermore, are you so convinced that the materialism evident amongst West Plano kids is not also observable amongst the Highland Park, University Park, and Preston Hollow lot?

Quote:
But the fact is that, while the facebook group is obviously distorted a bit, it's relatively reflective of the way that high school age children from western Plano behave. They drive flashy cars, drink underage, and make fun of middle-income people because their fathers make more money.
And you're absolutely sure Highland Park, University Park, and Preston Hollow kids don't behave in a similar fashion? Either you're severely biased (against West Plano, obviously) or haven't spent enough time among the rich to know that your statements are immensely inaccurate.

Quote:
If you don't want your kids to behave like that, it doesn't mean you don't need to move to West Plano, it just means you ought to teach your kids proper manners.
It's really not your business how I raise my children. I'm still questioning the basis by which you came to the conclusion that the attitudes and behaviors common amongst West Plano youth is any different from those in "older money" areas.

Quote:
And you're rather defensive of an area that you don't live in. I'm simply pointing that out. You've asked people for their insight and then have gone ahead to criticize that insight. It's crazy. We've answered your question honestly and fairly and for you to respond in such a way isn't very polite.
Well, I've already bought a house there, so technically, while I may not live there in the physical sense, trust me, I live there (and I have the bank statements to prove it! ).

By the way, I don't think it's being very honest and fair to suggest that those lowly "parvenu" West Planoites are living in oblivion, as they honestly believe they're on the same level as those in the Park Cities. That's how I would characterize the tone of majority of posts that have been made in this thread, by apparently, the people who continue to voice the same opinions AD NAUSEUM regarding West Plano.

As for the lack of politeness comments, they just demonstrate the point I made in regards to you earlier: that you're clearly biased against West Plano and this so-called "nouveau riche" mentality (which really isn't all that different from the attitudes of those in more established wealthy areas). You mean to tell me that you didn't find some of the comments I responded to awfully rude?

There's a difference between giving ones unbiased impression about an area and clearly having biased, slanted, and negative opinions (often unfounded or exaggerated) beliefs. I think I've seen more of the latter expressed in this thread.

Last edited by the_hollywoodian; 05-23-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I really question your assertions though that typical "old money" children, such as those inhabiting the bubble communities of Highland Park and University Park, do not suffer from the same attitudes of entitlement and obnoxiousness as their obviously inferior "parvenu" comrads in the far-flung reaches of West Plano. You're telling me that the Highland Park, University Park, and Preston Hollow kids are this prime example of class and civility? Get real!
Much more so than western Plano kids, yes. It's definitely there, but the kids in my opinion, knowing students and alumni of West, HP, Hillcrest, and most of the private schools in North Dallas, I would say that the West kids are more entitled and obnoxious than those of the rest of the areas. That's not to say that there aren't LOTS of good people who are West products, and that there aren't tools who've graduated from places like HP or St Marks or even, God forbid, Jesuit. But I will say that in my personal experience, having grown up in Dallas with the very kids and kinds of kids you were asking about in the first place, that the West kids do tend to be more flashy with their wealth than those from further south.

Quote:
That's a rather pompous statement, coming from someone who claims to loathe pretentiousness (a staple only among the "new money" sort, course).
I fail to see how not wanting giant, gaudy, cookie cutter houses in my neighborhood is pompous. The properties would be more expensive than those currently in my neighborhood, but the people that build them tend to not be nice neighbors. They generally aren't particularly considerate of their neighbors wishes and obviously want to one up them by building a bigger monstrosity than the next person. I'm very thankful that our neighborhood hasn't been hit by the phenomenon, even though it very well could have by now. I'm also very sad that it's hit Preston Hollow, where I lived for the first 5 years I lived in Dallas, which was a very traditional Dallas neighborhood but has recently seen a rash of gaudy McMansions ruining the traditions of the neighborhood.

Quote:
Are you sure? Because in Los Angeles and New York the word is that Dallas is EXTREMELY pretentious. Many from these cities can't understand why it would be, as the wealth in both the Los Angeles and New York metros is considerably larger.
Here you've begun to reach the major thing about Texas: we don't give a DAMN what Yankees think about the way we live our lives. Dallas is not trying to be NY or LA. We are trying to be Dallas. We have our own culture which rewards success in business but also doesn't want to see people crap all over the traditions we've built our culture on. I don't care if New York or LA is richer because I am and always will be a Dallasite. Besides, those places have more smog and ruder people than Dallas does anyway.

Quote:
And you're absolutely sure Highland Park, University Park, and Preston Hollow kids don't behave in a similar fashion? Either you're severely biased (against West Plano, obviously) or haven't spent enough time among the rich to know that your statements are immensely inaccurate.
Lady, I don't know who you are but you presume to know a lot about me and about Dallas for someone who doesn't even live in Texas yet. I am telling you what I've experienced. You asked me, and everyone else on the board, to tell you if the PWSH kids were snobby. You refused to believe us. I don't really know what you want me to tell you. But as for having spent "enough time among the rich," I find that laughable coming out of someone who's coming to live in a glorified farm town given where I went to high school and where my family lives.

Quote:
It's really not your business how I raise my children. I'm still questioning the basis by which you came to the conclusion that the attitudes and behaviors common amongst West Plano youth is any different from those in "older money" areas.
No, it isn't my business how you raise your kids, you are right. But if your kids haven't been raised right, it's also not your business if I bust one of them in the nose for being a rude *******, which I've done to a Plano West kid before beacuse he felt it appropriate to tell me that his father was my father's boss, something which wasn't true in the slightest. I really hope you have the ability to raise your children with class, something which certainly can be done in western Plano. Good luck in that regard.

Quote:
There's a difference between giving ones unbiased impression about an area and clearly having biased, slanted, and negative opinions (often unfounded or exaggerated) beliefs. I think I've seen more of the latter expressed in this thread.
I don't think that anyone on this forum is biased against Plano. Just because we dislike the houses and some of the people in the neighborhood doesn't mean that we are biased against it. It's You can give an answer based on your personal experience, that's all. I would say that most residents of western Plano love it. However, when you ask us what we think of a facebook group, and we tell you, and then you don't like it, it's not OUR fault.

But in all honesty, from everything you've posted, you are going to love western Plano and fit right in there, so good luck with your move!

And because it seems to be what you want to hear: No, those kids in western Plano AREN'T that snobby, it's just a stupid facebook group! Thank god you aren't moving to snobby racist Highland Park, you'd NEVER be able to stand it there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas