Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 PM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
NBC 5 News. Tammy Dombeck is the traffic reporter and she definitely knows about all the roads, traffic, etc.. She has had a ton of experience and also grew up in the DFW area.
Isn't it basically impossible to go over 15 miles in 8 mins? Or is my math wrong? I guess people drive over 100 mph on the tollway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
Isn't it basically impossible to go over 15 miles in 8 mins? Or is my math wrong? I guess people drive over 100 mph on the tollway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You can get traffic times on AM 1080 radio, too, every hour on the '8's. I have never heard 8 minutes for that trip, but I don't leave the house until 8:15 or later.
I'm just going by what is shown on the NBC 5 traffic reports.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
8 mins to get from 121 and DNT to northwest highway and DNT? What station is reporting that BS? It has to be over 15 miles between the 2.
No kidding. There is NO WAY that can be done unless one is flying WELL over the speed limit.

Quote:
You can get traffic times on AM 1080 radio, too, every hour on the '8's. I have never heard 8 minutes for that trip, but I don't leave the house until 8:15 or later.
Actually, after 8am the traffic is a little thinner than at 7am. I have not heard of anyone saying 8 minutes for it either. Frankly, to even suggest to newcomers that this is even possible is a HUGE disservice. The incident I had where I was "flying" to get where I was headed and did it in record time is shorter than this stretch of the tollway and I did it well after rush hour and never went at any point in time over 75mph. Not that I'd EVER tell someone they could use that as a realistic commute time as I'd never do it myself on a regular basis. There just happened to be a circumstance that was "not the norm" for me that day, .

Oh, on 190 in NON rush hour going West when one passes the time board at the Jupiter exit it normally says that it is 6-9 minutes just to get to Coit. This is in NON rush hour w/ hardly any traffic whatsoever and less than 10 miles down the road.

Quote:
Your not wrong. I'd NEVER suggest to a newcomer that this commute would be even possible. As it is flat out not unless someone is going well over 100mph. Someone would have to be covering 1.9 miles a MINUTE to get from point A to point B in that amount of time.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No kidding. There is NO WAY that can be done unless one is flying WELL over the speed limit.

Actually, after 8am the traffic is a little thinner than at 7am. I have not heard of anyone saying 8 minutes for it either. Frankly, to even suggest to newcomers that this is even possible is a HUGE disservice. The incident I had where I was "flying" to get where I was headed and did it in record time is shorter than this stretch of the tollway and I did it well after rush hour and never went at any point in time over 75mph. Not that I'd EVER tell someone they could use that as a realistic commute time as I'd never do it myself on a regular basis. There just happened to be a circumstance that was "not the norm" for me that day, .

Oh, on 190 in NON rush hour going West when one passes the time board at the Jupiter exit it normally says that it is 6-9 minutes just to get to Coit. This is in NON rush hour w/ hardly any traffic whatsoever and less than 10 miles down the road.

Your not wrong. I'd NEVER suggest to a newcomer that this commute would be even possible. As it is flat out not unless someone is going well over 100mph. Someone would have to be covering 1.9 miles a MINUTE to get from point A to point B in that amount of time.
I never said I have drove that distance in 8 minutes. I have seen it on the traffic reports on TV. I have said that I can be at 635 from 121 in 12 minutes. Northwest hwy is further south than 635, so I obviously have not done it in 8 minutes. The one that is definitely true and I do it everyday is the 121 to downtown dallas in 30 minutes. That is VERY doable until about 7:30. Then after that, it takes longer as traffic is heavier.

I don't appreciate you calling me a liar basically as anybody who watches the NBC5 traffic reports every 10 minutes on the 5's sees it. Shall I take a picture of the screen tomorrow (actually i think I could take a picture right now because I accidently TiVo'd the news yeasterday morning) or shall you watch it for yourself? I never wanted to get in a dispute with you, but you are forcing me to by not letting it go and calling me a liar.

I do know that you know the roads and where things are because of all the info in your other posts, but you don't know how traffic is because traffic at 8 am is much worse than at 7 am. Between 8 and 8:30 traffic is moving very slow on almost all the roads. Maybe you should watch the traffic cameras for yourself. Here are some websites that have access to traffic cameras in the DFW area:

http://dfwtraffic.dot.state.tx.us/Default.htm#map.create(32.7907379828099%2C-97.01065063476562%2C10)%3BsetTimeout(function(){ma p.showIncidentIcons(tmcs[%2701%27])%3Bmap.showLaneClosureIcons(tmcs[%2701%27])%3Bmap.showCameraIcons(tmcs[%2701%27])%3Bmap.showIncidentIcons(tmcs[%27TransVISION%27])%3Bmap.showLaneClosureIcons(tmcs[%27TransVISION%27])%3B}%2C2000)%3B (This shows traffic cameras for the freeways (no toll roads) as well as message sign indicators, speed flows, accidents, and construction.)

NTTA: Traffic ( This shows approximate travel times from different points on the tollroads in the DFW area except for 121 and lane closures, accidents, and construction).

These are just a couple....Channel 4, 5,8, and 11 also have these same things on their websites.

Last edited by $DFW8$; 05-21-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Traffic is probably at its worst between 8:00-9:00.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Traffic is probably at its worst between 8:00-9:00.
Exactly.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
This silly ranking system is the only thing Lakewooder has to hang onto that says his beloved DISD isn't a complete cesspool of an educational system, so we get to hear it over and over. (And over, and over, and over...)
Such enlightened ravings...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062201435.html

I've actually heard Mr. Mathews speak in person about this, have you?

Last edited by Lakewooder; 05-21-2009 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
DISD is not a complete cesspool. It's only 90% of a cesspool.

It's magnet programs are widely considered to be the very best in the nation. Many of it's elementary schools, and Lakewood and Stonewall Jackson in particular, are still neighborhood schools and are excellent institutions. The problem really resides in the comprehensive high schools, which have had to adjust their focus three times in the past 30 years, from serving a largely middle-class Caucasian population, to a largely low-income and African American population, and finally to a largely first and second generation American population. You can get a good education in the comprehensive high schools--their AP programs are as good as those in the suburbs, and it's essentially a seperate school--the "AP kids" in their own wing of the building, running many of the clubs (take a look at the Hillcrest or Woodrow or WTW cheerleading team, or math club, and then take a look at the student body and tell me how that's possible), and getting a lot of support. DISD's main problem is the fact that the bureaucracy is largely incompetent and/or corrupt, and that in large schools like the comprehensive high schools, it affects the education of the students.

But if your kid is in AP or pre-AP classes at Woodrow, Lakewooder is right that they will get a great education. If they aren't, well...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
They get a great education PLUS they make friends with all sorts of people. Not in a separate wing..

As the years roll by I've found that the social crucible is as important as the academics. Everyone benefits from it - rich, poor, middle class - black, white, brown, red, yellow - college-bound, military-bound, trade school-bound, drop-outs etc.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,323 times
Default My 2 daughters have grown up around Whiterock Lake

I have lived in Dallas for 29 yrs. My 2 kids have grown up around White Rock Lake.it's nice.A very mature,established neighborhood. my youngest, now 15 has been attending a charter school in downtown Dallas on Main St across from Neiman Marcus. We all ride Dart to different areas of Dallas. It's affordable and air conditioned. It's been safe,clean & prompt.In the 80's & 90's my girls went to an elementary school called Alex Sanger.It's on St Francis @San Leandro. Preschool - 6th grade.But now Pegasus Charter school for Science/Liberal Arts. Plaid skirts/whirte blouses for girls & grey pants for boys. There are some good schools that score a 10. Pegasus is a 7,i think? We are not far from downtown,but far enough to enjoy walking,skating, bikes and feed the ducks @ White Rock Lake. It's a very family friendly and health conscious neighborhood.

Last edited by cricketta; 05-21-2009 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: i spelled things incorrectly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas