Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
As far as shopping goes, I agree. If you live in Dallas(just an example), then you wouldn't need to go to Frisco for anything really because Dallas has the same stuff Frisco has basically. The only thins I can think of that a lot of people come here for are Ikea(because it's the only one in this area) and Sam Moon. I do think that a lot of people did go to Stonebriar Mall from all around to check it out because it was the "newest" mall at that time.

Entertainment wise, A LOT of people come here from all over the area for different events (sports, concerts, shows, conferences, etc).
There's not even any need to go to Frisco to go to Sam Moon because there's one in Farmers Branch at I-35 and I-635...I believe the original one as well, relocated just across 35 from its original location in Koreatown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,485 times
I love the discussion! I live outside of Chicago (probably as far as Frisco is from Dallas), and Chicago is known for its traffic, so I get all of that talk! I don't know that there is any city that doesn't deal with bad traffic, is there?
We are planning to move to Texas next summer...yes another transplant! We have talked about this move for a few years, and we are finally ready to leave our comfort zone and give Texas a try. Every time we have visited, the people are so friendly, but I have heard that when you move in as a "transplant" the "original" Texans are not so welcoming. I certainly hope we don't find that. We are looking for a new friendly place.
Funny enough, Frisco was highly recommended by a woman who grew up in Richardson and now lives in Plano. It is great to read this discussion!
Thanks for sharing all this great info! I'd love to hear more so that we are prepared for our move!

Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Dallas - Fort Worth Foreclosures for the First Half of 2009

Old 08-15-2009, 10:26 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smharger99 View Post
Every time we have visited, the people are so friendly, but I have heard that when you move in as a "transplant" the "original" Texans are not so welcoming. I certainly hope we don't find that. We are looking for a new friendly place.
Texans are very friendly and welcoming, just don't try to change them. The transplants though are a whole different story. I've met some very condescending, fake-friendliness, transplants over there. Overall you should enjoy it, just keep away from the "other" crowd.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 AM

102 posts, read 332,888 times
I lived in Plano for about 10 years and loved it. I plan to return to TX when I retire and will probably do Aubrey or Denton as I think Plano & Frisco will be too much like a big city by then.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM

198 posts, read 508,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smharger99 View Post
I love the discussion! I live outside of Chicago (probably as far as Frisco is from Dallas), and Chicago is known for its traffic, so I get all of that talk! I don't know that there is any city that doesn't deal with bad traffic, is there?
We are planning to move to Texas next summer...yes another transplant! We have talked about this move for a few years, and we are finally ready to leave our comfort zone and give Texas a try. Every time we have visited, the people are so friendly, but I have heard that when you move in as a "transplant" the "original" Texans are not so welcoming. I certainly hope we don't find that. We are looking for a new friendly place.
Funny enough, Frisco was highly recommended by a woman who grew up in Richardson and now lives in Plano. It is great to read this discussion!
Thanks for sharing all this great info! I'd love to hear more so that we are prepared for our move!
My neighborhood in Prosper just north of Frisco is filled with a mix of native Texans and transplants from all over. I've been here two years and find the native Texans just as friendly and welcoming as when we got here. Once you get here you will realize it is different than what you left behind so don't fall into the trap of complaining about what is different and comparing it to your long lost home back in the Midwest because this will wear a little on anyone. Try to learn a little of the history and what makes Texas unique. I've done this and it's made the transition easier. My neighbor from California has a similar approach too.

So here's my good-natured quick start advice for the newly moved to Texas:
You can deep fry anything and eat it at least once.
Get an SUV, and some cowboy boots for yourself and a boob job for your wife and all will be well :-) (my wife is still waiting on hers)
Also
Go to the state fair.
Get yourself a Texas flag, or something with a Star on it.
Buy a smoker and try some brisket.
You'll be saying y'all, and I'm fixin to.... within a year. They are endearing terms to me, my wife says it all the time now. It's fun to watch her morph.
Also
Go to the state capitol and walk around on a weekend. You can get in free.
Remember the Alamo, or at least the spirit of the Alamo. America needs a good infusion and remembrance of this type of independence, sacrifice and defiance! (but we all don't have to die in the end!)

I too like Frisco, but we ended up in Prosper because it is more of a rural feel to it and close enough to Frisco's amenities. Plus we just opened the most unbelievable high school I've ever seen in my life and my kids are excited to go there...

In general people seem to get along pretty well here but anyone moving here should expect to put some effort into it or it won't work out.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,485 times
Thanks for the advice! We are actually really ready to "get rid of our roots!" There is not much about the Midwest that we love and think we will miss. Well, maybe making snowmen in the winter, but only for a few days, then the cold just gets boring. Most people in he Midwest are friendly, but we are expecting the same in Texas, if not even more friendliness. We are looking forward to a completely new lifestyle there!! I did get a Texas travel guide in the mail as few days ago. We have already started planning our day trips to the towns and cities that seem interesting. This year is going to crawl by because I am so excited to go!!!
Y'all gave me some good advice (see I am trying to get used to that). I just need to get rid of this darn Chicago accent!! I'll get cowboy boots for the whole family, and we are all about showing our pride in America and the independence she represents!! I'll get the TX flag ordered soon!! She can hang right with the good ol' red, white and blue we will bring along with us.
Thanks again for the advice...if you think of anything else, let me know!! Thank you again!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
what's funny is that people STILL think that everyone who lives in Frisco commutes to Dallas everyday- as if Dallas exists in a vacuum, and the suburbs solely exist for people to commute back and forth from their jobs.

Newsflash: The suburbs are huge. Many of these suburbs would be the largest cities in other states. Many, many people that live in these suburbs also only commute to these suburbs.

While you guys may complain about that 30 minute drive, guess what? we never have to do it!

Saying that cities like Plano/Frisco are "going to be a wasteland in 15-20 years" is extremely shortsighted. the Plano area is a HUGE job center- it has as many jobs as downtown Dallas. If you work in Plano, living in Frisco is just fine.

Because land is a lot cheaper here than in downtown, you can build actual corporate campuses. Everyday, companies move to the "down-trodden" suburbs because it's closer to their employees and it's cheaper for them- so much so that when a company moves to Downtown Dallas, it's front page news, and everyone thinks is amazing. You simply don't hear about companies moving to the suburbs because it's happening all the time.

Honestly, who cares about this stuff so much? Arguing that Dallas is superior to any suburb is misguided. It's like arguing about different shades of white. Dallas is a good "living" city, but it's never going to be a ridiculously cool city (right now). If places like New York City, D.C, and San Francisco, were "10" cities, Dallas would be a "3" and the suburbs would be 2.5.

We spend all this time arguing about the .5 difference, when really, we need to focus on what Dallas needs to become a "10" level city. Once we do that, we can pursue things like the olympics and other major attractions to make dallas a true global city.
I am a little late but that was WELL said!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
I totally agree with unexpected. I get sick of reading about these people who always mock the suburbs. Its always the same people too. I have lived in both the downtown scene and now the suburbs and both were enjoyable to me. Its all about where YOU are happy. You can argue all you want about how terrible plano is and it isnt going to get me to move away. Your pretty much wasting your breath (or in this case you finger strokes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas