Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM

81 posts, read 237,041 times

Advertisements

If you like the mildly creepy master planned communities, Frisco is for you.

What bluescreen added certainly has merit. The planning stages for the next outer loop extension is already well underway. The Tollway extension and Preston Road stimulate growth to the North. We're in a downturn for now, but it won't last. And, when things get rolling again, the majority of growth will be to the North---and that also includes North Ft Worth, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 04:11 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Generation Dallas View Post
If you like the mildly creepy master planned communities, Frisco is for you.
In what way are they "creepy"?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
When I drove around Frisco when I first started my house search I did not really like it. It's new and clean and cute but very crowded with "not my kind of people". I only go up there for meetups and Ikea now, and that isn't very often. Every time I went up there I was like " do I really want to do this every morning?" No!

I'm going to make an offer on a house in Richardson this week. It isn't new and cute around there but I hear lots of rumors that "gentrification" is just around the corner which will raise my taxes but will also increase my property value (hopefully). Plus I love those trees. Those TREES! They're enormous!

I can imagine Frisco being a "destination" for people from Oklahoma or the countryside north of DFW but not for people in Dallas. Why go there?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Just saw this today

D Magazine : Hank Stuever on Why He Loves Frisco

Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Well, Arlington turned into a destination city with no mass transit, so maybe Frisco will turn out with a similar feel to it.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Well, Arlington turned into a destination city with no mass transit, so maybe Frisco will turn out with a similar feel to it.

I have never gone or thought about going to Frisco for anything. I have been to Mckinney before and it is too far. I dont see how people manage that trip every single day and traffic dosen't help. I doubt seriously it will be a destination like Arlington, GrandPraire, and Irving. Mainily because these cities are smack down in the middle of both Dallas & Fort Worth and I20 and I30 run through these cities .

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
I'd choose Frisco (where I live now), Plano (But only West Plano), or Dallas (But only the Highland Park Area) to live in.

To me, Frisco is definitely a destination city. We have a ton of events going on everyday (sports, concerts, etc.), a ton of shopping and restaurants, everything is brand new basically (which is a good thing in my mind), a ton of really nice neighborhoods, we are really close to Dallas(30-35 minutes from downtown Dallas), and it is a very family-oriented area.
This statement proves why Frisco is not a destination city.

People don't tell their friends they are moving to Frisco, TX, they say they are moving to the Dallas suburbs. It's going to continue like that for a long time--people still don't say they are moving to Plano or Irving or Arlington, all of which have over 250,000 residents. It is still Dallas or Fort Worth as the destination city.

Frisco is very "Stepford wives" like to me. I remember when it was a country town and I didn't know why my parents' friends lived out there. I didn't know why they were building such a big mall out in the middle of nowhere. It's not like that now--it's just another cookie cutter suburb to add on to the list of those north of Dallas.

But if I were in Frisco, I don't see what I would get out of a move to West Plano, and I wouldn't want to move to HP simply because I wouldn't want to send them to HPHS, and couldn't justify not sending them their with the property taxes.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
I would chose Frisco, McKinney, W. Plano or even Allen/Fairview before chosing to live in Dallas. The traffic, the crime, the everyday milieu. It's worth it to drive the 30-35 minutes to get out of that to be where we are now (N. of 121).

Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
I've come to entirely agree with Lakewooder about the northern suburbs - Blah! And I live here (more specifically in it's twin city). Honestly I can't really comment exactly about Frisco because I don't think I have ever been there - unless the IKEA is in Frisco, in which case I've been there once (but didn't buy anything). My wife says they have the greatest mall on the planet (yawn). Are there any trees? Skeptical. It's hard to tell whether you're in Plano or Frisco or Allen or whatever, it all looks the same. I'm comfortable that Dallas north is safe for the children. My son rides his bike around our little compound and has a great time playing bionicle with his friends. He however is jealous I "get to go downtown where all the big buildings are". Yeah everything is nice and neat. Blah.

We're all clones - all are one and one are all.

Destination city? Yeah people, forget Paris, come to Frisco. We got it all!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
The issue with "all basically new" is that people were saying that about Plano 10 years ago. Now it's Frisco. Where will it be in 10 years? People will always be chasing the next new thing. It's called trendy.

My preference is established. Something that has been around a while. Something that has roots and traditions. Lakewooder is proud of Lakewood because he grew up there, he has long time friends there, he is proud of his school and has promoted it for many (not too many... hehe) years. This sort of history and pride doesn't exist in new areas. The folks in new areas tend to be more transitory. Once Frisco isn't "new", a good number of people will move on to the next trendy area.

I don't like spending my life chasing the next new thing. It has to be tiring. I like older, more established areas. Ones with retail or restaurants that have been around for 20-30-40 years. Places with character. I think of the shops on Knox/Hendersen as a good example of neighborhood retail. Frogee's, Harry's, Momo's, etc, etc. Many unique shops/restaurants that would just be some sterile square box in a "new area". No thank you - I'll stick with the more established, more unique areas with character.

One thing that strikes me funny about Frisco being a "destination" city. The argument for it being a destination is that it has a couple of entertainment venues and restaurants/retail. Uh... doesn't just about every city have a butt load of restaurants and retail in the DFW area? So let's strike that from the amenities list - cause in order to be a real amenity, it should be unique. That leaves us with the entertainment venues. Yup, Frisco has that. So does Arlington. In fact, Arlington has more. So maybe Arlington is a destination city. Ugh. The argument is pretty weak. Frisco is what it is. It's new; it's now; it's sterile. If that is your thing, that's just fine. Just don't try to sell it for something it isn't.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas