Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,592 times

Advertisements

hi we are a family hoping to make the move to the usa we have fallen in love with texas . I have so many questions like good areas schools how the people are with foreigners etc but my main question is my husband is a production manager in the sign industry how hard is it to get a company to hire a foreign national many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
He will need a work visa. Not sure how to go about getting one.

Dallas and its suburbs are huge and spread out for miles. He needs a job first and THEN you decide where to live. Unless of course, he likes driving 2 hrs each way. He will need a car, too.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but with the unemployment rate as high as it is now, and with many companies laying off Americans, your husband's chances of finding a company that will go through the lengthy and expensive process of hiring a foreign national are very slim.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Easiest way is to find a job with a company that has offices in Texas and then get transferred.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:11 AM

i am well aware of the unemployment and issuses etc and we arent planning a move untill next year so hopefully all will be better by then , so its very lenghty and expensive to hire a foreign national oh well that is a shame . thankyou all very much for your replys , and we can only hope that he finds someone willing to invest in him but i will tell him to look in Texas first and well go from there . He does like driving but not for that long each day so ill bare that in mind also many thanks

Old 05-25-2009, 06:38 AM

I have a friend with a Ph.D. who is Mexican. She was hired by a university but she had to stay there so many years as they were her sponsor. There was a lot of paperwork and it took a long time.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
In order for a US company to sponsor a foreign national for an H1B (most common work visa) they have to show that there are no Americans who are trained to do that job. Most H1Bs are technical, such as engineers. Dependents of an H1B are not given work privileges in the USA.

An L1 visa is an intercompany transfer, and that is what SouthernBelle is suggesting. I can't remember if their dependents are allowed to work or not.

Depending on where you are from, you might also be able to enter the diversity visa lottery. Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Instructions

Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM

we are both from the UK and i wouldnt want to work it would just be him ive heard of the H1b form and i didnt realise that they had to prove that there were no Americans with the same qualifications . Well its certainly alot easier to get in to the UK lol . We were going to take a long vacation in America and he was going to see all the sign companies on the way but it looks like that might be a bad idea

Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM

5 posts, read 18,293 times
Think positively! If you both really want it don't take no for an answer. There is always a way. Take your vacation/trip and check things out. You maybe pleasantly surprised. Keep talking about what you want, not what you don't want. Doors will open up for you and you will find a great job. Expect good things and they will come your way.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Well its certainly alot easier to get in to the UK

It's not much easier for a U.S. citizen who wants to live and work in the UK or EuroZone to just move there and get a job. If it were the isles would be sinking from the weight of Americans living there.

Yes, take the long trip, check things out. Not just in the big cities but in the smaller ones, along the interstates. You might read the World and United Kingdom forums for some ideas of the relocating problems. Some might have guidance and who knows... you might find what you're looking for.

Citizens of the U.S. don't really want to keep you out and most would probly welcome you to live and work. However, long ago the U.S. government established guidelines for allowing foreign nationals into the country and this is what you are facing. Understand, most all countries have similar regulations.

Good luck. We'll look forward to your visit and good fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: