Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,807 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am currently finishing up my college career and am looking to move out of philly when i graduate december 07. Dallas caught my eye cause of the weather and the job opportunities.

I will be moving by myself and would like suggestions on where a young female can feel safe, be around young professionals and for not too much money!

If anyone could suggest the best way going about looking for my first "real" job that would be great. I'm a history major, communications minor interested in a business/sales position, although I have worked for CBS in Philadelphia and would consider a career in tv news.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Uptown / Downtown Dallas. For both.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 AM

326 posts, read 962,308 times
Look at Downtown Dallas. It's convenient to everything and there a lot of singles/young professionals in the area (and all the bars, cultural events, nightlife, etc). Check out http://www.yourdspot.com. Some buildings offer subsidies to young professionals as well.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 PM

14 posts, read 124,253 times
Try the belo corporation downtown dallas, downtown offers huge incentives to buy lofts there so its an excellent place to move to.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:02 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Question Downtown crime rate?

I know I sound like a broken record about the crime rate, but is this not a problem downtown now?

Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I know I sound like a broken record about the crime rate, but is this not a problem downtown now?
No, it is not. I'm at the AAC many times for hockey games and have never seen a problem in all the years I've been going even when they were at Reunion. TONS of people park over in the West End and walk to the AAC for games. You will see families and all. Just this week one of the news stations was doing a story on how popular downtown is getting now to live in even for empty nesters. All around McKinney Ave and that entire area you will see people walking to and from day and night. And not "thugs" looking for trouble either. It really is great.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Downtown, Uptown, Southside/Cedars, Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville/East Dallas/M Streets, Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs/Turtle Creek, the Village Apartment complex on Upper Greenville (kind of suburban though).

Old 04-10-2007, 04:19 PM

326 posts, read 962,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No, it is not. I'm at the AAC many times for hockey games and have never seen a problem in all the years I've been going even when they were at Reunion. TONS of people park over in the West End and walk to the AAC for games. You will see families and all. Just this week one of the news stations was doing a story on how popular downtown is getting now to live in even for empty nesters. All around McKinney Ave and that entire area you will see people walking to and from day and night. And not "thugs" looking for trouble either. It really is great.
I agree, it's not a problem at all. I live on Main Street and have never had a problem. The streets are well-lit and there are safety cameras on almost every corner now. Sure, there are "rough" areas of downtown, but I don't go searching them out. As more people and more stores and restaurants move into downtown the increased activity seems to be a crime deterrant. I enjoy walking downstairs from my loft and going to the local pub or eating dinner at one of the sidewalk cafes. The most "dangerous" problem I have is nearly being hit by cars that don't watch for pedestrians.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
I agree, it's not a problem at all. I live on Main Street and have never had a problem. The streets are well-lit and there are safety cameras on almost every corner now. Sure, there are "rough" areas of downtown, but I don't go searching them out. As more people and more stores and restaurants move into downtown the increased activity seems to be a crime deterrant. I enjoy walking downstairs from my loft and going to the local pub or eating dinner at one of the sidewalk cafes. The most "dangerous" problem I have is nearly being hit by cars that don't watch for pedestrians.
Well if you would not be crossing the street when I have a green light when I just got out of the game........... jk

Used to be the only areas that we would avoid downtown at night were the McDonalds and the bus station. As for the streets being well-lit I saw where many Dallas City Council members were pushing for more street lights in the downtown area. There was some kind of bazaar or something going on under the highway in the parking lots this past weekend. Mostly computer parts but they were setting up their tables and merchandise Friday night at around 10:30. ???? I figured it was for the next morning but why they were putting their stuff out then I don't know. Guess they felt it was safe enough to put all of their merchandise out on the tables in the open for the night. Hey, if those people think it is safe enough to do that (and I would not do that ANYWHERE and not even in the northern "burbs", lol) it is pretty safe for the citizens to venture down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: