Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,125 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll appreciate any information that can be confirmed. My husband and I are relocating from Central America to Dallas or Houston, TX.

We are considering these two cities based on the cost of living and some basic information that I've been able to find online despite all my search I'm still not sure of the following so here is my question:

Considering Dallas, what zip codes or cities are the best to live?
Considering Houston, what zip codes or cities are the best to live?

Here's some information:
Newly wed, late 20's, no kids, two dogs, IT profession, considering to rent an apartment our budget is $900-$1,000 for rent.

We would like to live in a pet friendly environment, near a park, mall and public transportation possibly DART.

Thanks for your help,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Check out 75206 and 75214. Very good for your demographic - especially 75206.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,125 times
thanks i'll definitely look into it.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
I would recommend the Uptown and Knox-Henderson areas just north of downtown Dallas. I believe that this is the zip Lakewooder is referring to, but I'm not sure.

Do you all have jobs and know about the visa situation? I don't know how easy it is to move to the US without a job offer.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Im actually going through the same thing with my wife right now. We are from Los Angeles, but my wife is from Thailand. My job was axed here, but my company offered me a position in either Dallas or Houston. We visited both cities extensively. Since my wife wants to be somewhere there is a Thai community, we choose the DFW area. The largest Thai community in the South can be found in Northern Tarrant county, they had a community center, lots of temples, even their own newspaper.

As for you, it just depends on what you like. Dallas is by far more accessable by public transit than Houston. There areas we found that we really liked in Dallas were Richardson, Carrolton, Addison, and Uptown Dallas. The later three are very diverse cities with lots of people from other countries (particularly South Korea and India). Addison and Uptown Dallas are very full of young professionals too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas