Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 28,969 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have been checking out this site for about 2 months now and I must say that it is very informative. So, I finally registered. I will be in the Dallas/ FW area in the last week of June to find a home (Hopefully it closes before august) anyway, I have a friend that will show me around for that week I will be there but his views of Dallas are kind of California biased, Im not one of these californians that can go buy a 340-350 thousand dollar home, Im looking at mid-100's. My question is can I still live in a good "suburban" type area with that type of price range? He's telling me not to do Dallas because its bad. He lives in Mckinney and he loves it but I dont know if I can afford a nice home there. I've been on realtor.com and checked out most of the homes in all surrounding areas but pictures dont do it for me. I need to see the neighborhood. Well, if anyone can advise me on where to check out and where not to, that would be great because I only have a week to find a home and put in an offer on it and I dont want to waste my time in areas that are bad. I have five children, 2 eight y/o boys that play football and baseball and 3 girls that do dance and cheer. I also coach football and baseball, so I would be looking for a good recreation area also. Well I know that I typed alot but I just want some advice so that my kids have an easy transition as well as myself and the wife.Any info Anywhere near Dallas-all the way up to Mckinney would be helpful.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 09:55 PM

11 posts, read 37,572 times
I'm a fan of Richardson, especially for your price range. You'll find a nice home for $150K, about a 3/2/2 with up to 1700 square feet. To get a little more for your money, you could go to Plano. There are newer homes in your price range in Sachse, Wylie, Murphy. They lack a little character, in my opinion, but I'm a fan of 8ft ceilings, pier and beam construction, and mature trees. You'll find the newer stuff in your price range off 190 (George Bush Turnpike) towards the East. You could also go to Allen, McKinney, and parts of Frisco. Pretty much all of those suburbs have a good reputation for community and school.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM

709 posts, read 3,476,038 times
Mycousins are raising their boys in the Mckinney area. They are quite pleased with opportunity their boys have had with the local sport groups. I'm thinking that Mckinney is the place to be right now if you have children. Although I live in Carrollton and love it here too. I've not been impressed with the sport groups yet. We are just starting to play sports and the groups seem a little clickish to me so far in Carrollton. It may just be my lack of experience as a parent with a child playing sports though.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:36 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,440,331 times
He has 5 kids or I would have recommended Richardson as well. But 3/2 may be tight for 7 people.

If you go south of Dallas to places like Waxahachie, this may be a fit.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:35 AM

709 posts, read 3,476,038 times
I was speaking with a friend this morning that recently moved to the Little Elm area and they feel that there are a lot of opportunities for families in Little Elm these days. Cost of home is fairly reasonable and many are larger homes ... this friend lives in Little Elm. I think her children attend Frisco schools.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:11 AM

I think certain parts of Little Elm will benefit from being so close to SW Frisco.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 AM

6 posts, read 55,737 times
Default Plano\Frisco

Having a son that played played baseball for years, I'd recommend Plano or Frisco (we live in Plano but are in the Frisco school district). Plano has several very good baseball organizations (PBA, PSA, YMCA), great facilities (many parks). If they are serious and want to play in HS - Frisco has 2 new HS (started last year) and 2 that will open in 3 years - so plenty of slots.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 28,969 times
Thank you to all that responded.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,192,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxion9 View Post
He's telling me not to do Dallas because its bad. He lives in Mckinney Thank you.

I just don't think you can afford Dallas anyhow. Brian, would there be anything that price up your way?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM

I looked the other day in Craig's Ranch off main street (becomes Stacy) and it appears that you may be able to squeeze into something over there in the 160s. There isn't much in that range, but it's a nice little area. I still think the most homes in this range will be down around Garland. Or if you want new, south of Dallas in the newer burbs down there.

Homes are not as cheap here as people think...less expensive than other areas for sure, but not cheap once you factor in property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas