Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 9,055 times

Advertisements

We are in Maryland and HATE it. We have been here our whole life and its becoming so fast pace and extremely expensive that we just want out! Not to mention the crime is through the roof. We have a 5 year old and have been thinking of buying a home in Texas. We have seen alot of nice and pretty homes in Rowlett. I am looking for a nice, down home kind of living. Not too fast pace but yet close to the hospitals, malls ect... I am in the Nursing field so work for me and for my DH is not a problem. Can anyone tell me anything of Rowlett? Or an area that seems to fit what I am looking for? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Rowlett??

Well, I know at least one of the people who post on this forum regularly has a very negative view of moving to Rowlett. One of the issues was high property tax as well as water rate. I think there were other things as well.
As far as an alternative, there's probably a lot of places that would fit what you're looking for. Probably some of the other forum participants will give you some suggestions, but two places that come to my mind based on what you said was important to you are Allen and McKinney. I personally live in the suburb of Plano which I love, but I didn't suggest that because you said you wanted something a little slower-paced. I like Frisco and Plano, but they seem a little fast-paced to me. I think of Allen or McKinney because they have some nice houses and enough amenities and close enough to medical centers where you might could work. Low crime rate and all too. Those are two that come to my mind. I'm sure some other people will have some other good suggestions for you.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
It's me. I'm the one that is not too hip on Rowlett (lived there for 5 years and moved BACK to Garland). Yes, Rowlett has one of the highest property tax rates for all of Dallas County as well as the highest water rates around. The water rates there are HORRIBLE! For instance our old house was 1/2 the size of the one we live in now in Garland and had no pool nor major landscaping and our last water bill was right at $300 and we DID NOT live there. During the same time period in Garland our house that was much larger w/ a pool and lots of landscaping and we actually LIVED IN it was only $75. They have raised the rates several times since then and this is a major gripe with all Rowlett residents. Besides that the city politics are turmoil to say the least. The roads and alleys are in terrible condition in many areas of the city and if your sidewalk in front of your house collapses they will not help fix it.

If you want away from all the hustle and bustle but still close enough to all the city conviences and the small town feel then I'd say Rockwall and Garland are also good alternatives. They both are VERY small town feel but still a city and very welcoming. Friday night football games in the fall are a huge family affair w/ many friendly rivalries in w/in one family. There are several hospitals in the area and you would not have bad commute at all if you were at one of them (if your lucky as short as 10 minutes). Rockwall has a new entertainment district on the waterfront of Lake Ray Hubbard w/ shops, restaurants, marina and a movie theater. Garland has the new Firewheel Town Center mall that is an open air mall. The Star Spangled Fourth is HUGE to-do around here and is for the family. Staying closer in like one of these areas would give you many more options for work in the hospitals and you would not have to face a long commute on 75-Central to Allen or McKinney especially if you were working late hours.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
The big hospitals are in Dallas. Check out East Dallas (close to Baylor -very close, Presby, Parkland, Zale-Lipshy, Medical City and Children's). Many say it has an Austin 'laid-back' vibe.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:23 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
If you like the small town feel and a slower paced living, there are some REALLY cool areas in McKinney with awesome historic homes (east side of Central, near the town square). The square is fun (love the Londoner - on a cold day, head upstairs and sit on the couch in front of the fireplace with a pint... oh yeah... and some fish 'n chips... ok, now I'm drooling).

Don't rule out Dallas - Lakewood and Lake Highlands (both are east of Central, south of 635, with Lake Highlands being north of Lakewood) are both very nice areas that are still affordable and have some cool neighborhoods that are quiet - but offer close proximity to downtown and the light rail which is pretty nice and only expanding (eventually will even go to DFW airport).

Brian

Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 PM

101 posts, read 358,911 times
shllby1
I'm a nurse relocating from FL for some of the same reasons that you are, I plan to take a travel assignment this summer to check everything out. Never traveled before, but it will cut some of cost and give me the abilty to check out the hospital, if I don't like it, I just finsh my contract and look for somthing else.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,603 times
I live in NY now and was planning on moving to NJ. However, I dont want to struggle every month trying to pay off a mortgage on a $500-$600 starter home + taxes + heat, etc. My friends moved to Dallas area and they love it. I am considering this move too. Any suggestions on some good areas- good school system, low crime, etc?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Good places to live

There would be lots of good areas to choose from. It kinda depends too on where you end up working. As always, I would recommend living in one of the suburbs to the north of Dallas. This will generally give you family-friendly neighborhoods, plentiful affordable housing, good schools, good access to many amenities and a low crime rate. Dallas " proper" ( as some posting on this forum have pointed out) has some rich history and character, diverse housing, and possibly a quicker commute, but you do have to be careful about WHERE in Dallas city limits you locate because crime, unfortunately, like many big cities, is a real problem is some areas, especially in the southern sector. You can find a wealth of information on previous posts on this forum!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 AM

313 posts, read 1,716,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shllby1 View Post
We are in Maryland and HATE it. We have been here our whole life and its becoming so fast pace and extremely expensive that we just want out! Not to mention the crime is through the roof. We have a 5 year old and have been thinking of buying a home in Texas. We have seen alot of nice and pretty homes in Rowlett. I am looking for a nice, down home kind of living. Not too fast pace but yet close to the hospitals, malls ect... I am in the Nursing field so work for me and for my DH is not a problem. Can anyone tell me anything of Rowlett? Or an area that seems to fit what I am looking for? Thanks

we JUST moved from MD!! We love it out here!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Trust me, you will absolutely love Texas in comparison to Maryland. Hopefully, you'll be able to come and see for yourself very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas