Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
That is nice countryside and I'm sure it compliments the Tyler area well. But does Dallas have to look like this? Why can't Dallas have a different look and be appreciated for what it is? The prairie isnt ugly, its just different. If Dallas had the hilly, thick pine forest look it would be another Atlanta and you see how that landscape has really screwed up the functionality of the city. I would much rather have the layout / landscape of Dallas for a big city rather than be in a hilly forest. When I live in a big city I don't wanna feel like I live in the woods.
It does? I really like that city-hidden-in-a-forest look of Atlanta. And love the way the trees make you feel small, like having mini skyscrapers all over the city.

But you're right. Dallas doesn't need that. It does a much better job of working with what it's got than Houston does. That's really all I was trying to say.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 PM

355 posts, read 468,603 times
Default Particular

To answer the OP: Nahh... Dallas is not as ugly as the way people perceive it to be. It has hills and forested areas in parts of Dallas (inner Dallas in particular), but for the most part it is a prairie. I like mountains and beaches and all, but I won't kill myself if the city doesn't have it. There are great parks and trails in the city with trees and all. Also, established neighborhoods in Dallas look very nice and clean to me.

Quote:
I hope people do realize that the buildings in Dallas do have height restrictions based upon where they are located in the city. The BOA in Dallas was supposed to be even taller but the FAA had them cut the top off to fit its regulations. The height of BOA is as tall of a building Dallas will ever have. The Uptown area has some pretty picky zoning rules in terms of height and such. Dallas just has a different development style than Houston. The only thing similiar is how the Cityplace tower in Dallas stands out like a sore thumb and just doesnt fit in with the rest of Dallas, that gives it a random Houston feel.
Due to the restriction, what are the chances of Dallas having a super-tall skyscraper?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
I hope people do realize that the buildings in Dallas do have height restrictions based upon where they are located in the city. The BOA in Dallas was supposed to be even taller but the FAA had them cut the top off to fit its regulations. The height of BOA is as tall of a building Dallas will ever have. The Uptown area has some pretty picky zoning rules in terms of height and such. Dallas just has a different development style than Houston. The only thing similiar is how the Cityplace tower in Dallas stands out like a sore thumb and just doesnt fit in with the rest of Dallas, that gives it a random Houston feel.
FAA restrictions also prevented Chase Towers height from being as tall as it should have been. It was originally supposed to be 80 stories tall, but got cut 5 short due to downtowns proximity to Hobby.

However, other areas of Houston have no such height restrictions like Uptown/Galleria. We could quite possibly see a world's tallest being built there in the future. A wealthy Middle Eastern developer has been talking about building one taller than the Williams Tower in Uptown, but not sure what the latest is on that one.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
It does? I really like that city-hidden-in-a-forest look of Atlanta. And love the way the trees make you feel small, like having mini skyscrapers all over the city.

But you're right. Dallas doesn't need that. It does a much better job of working with what it's got than Houston does. That's really all I was trying to say.
Then why didn't you just say that instead of trying to one-up MM on d-bagness? I, for one, love the bohemian style of the Houston area, especially the Inner Loop, which has the potential to be an urban beast (turning out that way) and is easily the largest/densest urban core in Texas. Having said that, DFW and Houston definitely don't look that much different than each other once you get off of the freeways. What areas in Dallas look nothing like areas in Houston? You claim all this stuff, but have zero examples. North Loop 12 looks just like Westheimer. East Loop 12 looks just like areas near Houston's East End. Parts of Preston remind me of San Felipe in Houston. I could go on and on.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,934,267 times
Quote:
Here's the original design of the BOA Tower, originally called Main Place. On the top of the building you can see the rest of the floors the FAA cut off. EDIT: you can also see the twin tower, that was never built.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Then why didn't you just say that instead of trying to one-up MM on d-bagness?
Because it's not that serious. You're the one that decided not to see any humor in my post.

Quote:
I, for one, love the bohemian style of the Houston area, especially the Inner Loop, which has the potential to be an urban beast (turning out that way) and is easily the largest/densest urban core in Texas. Having said that, DFW and Houston definitely don't look that much different than each other once you get off of the freeways. What areas in Dallas look nothing like areas in Houston? You claim all this stuff, but have zero examples. North Loop 12 looks just like Westheimer. East Loop 12 looks just like areas near Houston's East End. Parts of Preston remind me of San Felipe in Houston. I could go on and on.
Reminiscent? Sure. Identical, as you suggest? No. As I've already pointed the trees and terrain are totally different between the two, and I prefer Dallas'. I love how you'll see the little sweetgum trees and such that line the streets in parts of town. But discussing this with you is pointless, because all you and anyone else does is simply say that my OPINION is off base and ill-informed.

I could post an example right now of an area in Dallas that looks nothing like Houston, but I'm sure you would insist that it does, when--if paying close attention to detail--anyone could see that it in fact does not. Like I said, I've been in this debate countless times and I'm not doing it anymore. The last time I did, I was accused of being someone who's never been to Houston and only had Google Maps as a source.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Because it's not that serious. You're the one that decided not to see any humor in my post.
Because it wasn't funny. You said yourself that you really believed what you wrote. Lakewooder does a much better job at making fun of Houston.

Quote:
Reminiscent? Sure. Identical, as you suggest? No. As I've already pointed the trees and terrain are totally different between the two, and I prefer Dallas'. I love how you'll see the little sweetgum trees and such that line the streets in parts of town. But discussing this with you is pointless, because all you and anyone else does is simply say that my OPINION is off base and ill-informed.
Where exactly do you see all of these streetgum trees lining the street in Dallas? And I said almost identical, and they are. Especially North Dallas compared to West Houston.

Quote:
I could post an example right now of an area in Dallas that looks nothing like Houston, but I'm sure you would insist that it does, when--if paying close attention to detail--anyone could see that it in fact does not. Like I said, I've been in this debate countless times and I'm not doing it anymore. The last time I did, I was accused of being someone who's never been to Houston and only had Google Maps as a source.
So, why don't you just post it then to prove your point?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM

229 posts, read 606,781 times
Just a question Scarface, why are you in DFW if you like Houston so much more? And when will you be going back? :-)

Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ise_66 View Post
HI

I am planning to move from Milwaukee, WI to Dallas and am used to seeing green trees and going out for walks etc in the Summer. Also I can go to short weekend trips to Chicago and WI dells.
How is Dallas comparable. I have a wife and 2 kids....in elementary school. What kind of family fun places/things are there?
I am told that Dallas is insipid, colorless, boring, dull and concrete place. Is that true?
Yes.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytravers View Post
Just a question Scarface, why are you in DFW if you like Houston so much more? And when will you be going back? :-)
I'm in DFW for school. When will I be going back to Houston? No idea. But, I've said many times that I really like DFW and it is a cool place (spent my last three years of high school in DFW), but I like Houston better. It's just when people post things like AlGreen did, I just have to question if they truly spent enough time in Houston to try and say DFW's appearance is that much better than Houston (when it clearly is not if you actually explore both metro areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas