Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:58 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times

Advertisements

Been to both cities, during what would be considered the most intense weather seasons for each. Dallas is hot H-O-T hot in Summer, but anything but ugly. I thought it was pretty, greener than you think. Milwaukee is actually awful in the winter, colder than hell out there, and I am from New England. So cold it burnt my dang lungs whenever I took a deep breath.

Both places are flat, not alot of character in that regard. NE has alot of character in that way, but with hills and mountains come all sorts of other problems.

Overall neither city is ugly, the suburbs I stayed in in Milwaukee (Mechoun) was actually really nice, much the Southlake where I stayed in Dallas, but I would probably give the edge to Dallas here overall. So whoever told you that probably saw nothing more than the airport.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Is there a single commuting route in or out of the "jobs corridor" between downtown and Plano that allows for a single moment of aesthetic pleasure?
Of course there is. I love driving up McKinney Avenue from downtown to Knox - Henderson, Turtle Creek Blvd is gorgeous. Preston Road from Oak Lawn up through Preston Hollow is very nice as well. These are just some main streets in inner Dallas that have a lot of charm. If someone comes to Dallas and can't see that its a very nice city they have their eyes closed. I guess I have a skewed view of Dallas compared to an outsider because I live in the Oak Lawn neighborhoods and literally never venture out from a 3 to 4 mile radius because I don't have to. Everything that I need is closeby and don't need to leave the central Dallas area. I never see the outskirts of Dallas along I-30 or I-35E where theres more of the unsightly sprawl crap located. I think a lot of the Dallas fans you see on here share a similar life to me, despite the sprawl stigma. If you live in central Dallas you rarely have to even drive over a mile or two to do anything. I said 3-4 mile radius because I do shop at Preston Center, NorthPark Center etc and that is a mile or so further than my normal span.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
The Ozarks are beautiful, I've been fortunate enough to travel through them in Arkansas and Missouri. The fall foliage there is somewhat less stunning than that of the Blue Ridge Mountains in my native Virginia though. I highly recommend a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway in mid-October.
I'm very familier with "real" fall color, thank you.
I've spent some time in that area but unfortunately have not had the opportunity to tour there during the fall, but I'm sure it's truly beautiful when the fall leaves are at their peak in Virginia.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 AM

617 posts, read 1,041,705 times
R1070, I hear what you're saying, and I agree that is a great situation to be able to avoid the interstates, but I would still disagree that those streets are "beautiful" -- I would say "nice" or "charming." My position is that nothing about those streets adds up to something greater than the sum of individual homes or shops; I would say a real estate agent might call them "beautiful" but an architectural critic or historian would not.

However I'm glad they exist and I'm happy for those who get to commute on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Of course there is. I love driving up McKinney Avenue from downtown to Knox - Henderson, Turtle Creek Blvd is gorgeous. Preston Road from Oak Lawn up through Preston Hollow is very nice as well. These are just some main streets in inner Dallas that have a lot of charm. If someone comes to Dallas and can't see that its a very nice city they have their eyes closed. I guess I have a skewed view of Dallas compared to an outsider because I live in the Oak Lawn neighborhoods and literally never venture out from a 3 to 4 mile radius because I don't have to. Everything that I need is closeby and don't need to leave the central Dallas area. I never see the outskirts of Dallas along I-30 or I-35E where theres more of the unsightly sprawl crap located. I think a lot of the Dallas fans you see on here share a similar life to me, despite the sprawl stigma. If you live in central Dallas you rarely have to even drive over a mile or two to do anything. I said 3-4 mile radius because I do shop at Preston Center, NorthPark Center etc and that is a mile or so further than my normal span.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,462 times
Well I call Dallas the concrete jungle; personal safety no matter what part of the downtown is always a concern including the maniacs here that drive vehicles. I am trying to move away FAST! Don't let pics fool you any place can look good on the right day. Collin County esp. McKinney, is North of Dallas has lots of green, rolling hills, good school districts (dallas does not), and a good telecom industry in neighboring areas. Look it up, you might like what yu see. The commute is well worth the scenery-major hiways are acessible. There are nature preserves, down to earth people and camping in Okla. is a reasonable distance away. Southern Dallas region is going downhill crimerate wise - not the police's fault just the way the dust settled after Katrina among other things. I feel safe walking my dog at 11pm. Not meant to be prejudiced here just stating the facts as I see and have experienced them. In Dallas proper trees are rare although an effort is being made to plant more. Up here there is zoning regarding trees and shrubbery. Hope I haven't repeated much, 25 pages of replies were a lot to read so I basically skimmed before replying.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM

264 posts, read 625,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLoverGoin2ECoast View Post
In Dallas proper trees are rare although an effort is being made to plant more. Up here there is zoning regarding trees and shrubbery.
Trees are rare in Dallas proper? Seriously? Have you driven through Bluffview, Preston Hollow, Kessler Park, Lakewood, east Dallas?

The stupidity of some of the people that post on this forum is astounding.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Yes, very beautiful:

Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Yes, very beautiful:
That's almost certainly not Dallas.

mod interpose: Since the OP hasn't logged on in over a year and a half, we're temporarily going to close this thread. Anybody who has a problem with this thread being close for now, let me know. Thanks. --scirocco22

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-04-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas