Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 AM

254 posts, read 982,928 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how that is working? Is there a move to redistrict those houses? I actually like Hebron HS over Frisco, but I like the houses in frisco that feed into Lewisville. Just wondering is the bus ride really long for the kids to the middle and high schools as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
don't know about the bus ride--you could call the schools to find out--they usually have a map with pick up times/delivery times for buses going in their zones...
but regarding re-districting--that is not going to happen...
those ISD boundaries were drawn long before subdivisions went in--so developers KNEW what was what--don't know what they told people buying homes there...
but everyone should be aware that ISD boundaries and city/county boundaries are not congruent in TX--the ISDs can go into 3 or 4 towns or 2 counties and some towns might have 2-3-4 ISDs within their city limits...
just have to make sure before you buy

Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 AM

Well I am absolutely sure the area is frisco, but lisd. But Ive also read on this board that re-districting does occur. Now maybe that is within the same district, just different highschools, I am not sure. I also found some info that there was a move afoot from the homeowners in frisco to be moved to frisco ISD. I guess I am wondering if they really have a chance to make that happen. Personally, I just really like Hebron HS much better than the schools in Frisco ISD, especially since it is much more diverse.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 AM

TEA and the legislature/local tax appraisal boards/cities might have to get involved to do that because it involves tax money/apportionment

I know of one time more than 25 yrs ago when Larry Cole--former Cowboy player who is developer--wanted to build homes in Colleyville just north of Cheek Sparger in Tarrant county---that area was zoned for Grapevine-Colleyville ISD which at that time did not have the reputation it does now and was decidedly not the draw that Bell High school in HEB was--Cole would not move ahead with creating the subdivision unless he could get the ISDs and whatever govt agency needed to agree to make the change from GCISD to HEB--now of course being in HEB is probably a negative for people who want to move into Colleyville and find that those homes are zoned for HEB ISD...

lawsuits between Tarrant/Denton counties and Northwest and Carroll ISD over some disputed property/boundaries in north part of Tarrant county/south Denton county that affected the two ISDs...

school districts DO change their inner zones for attendance purposes from time to time--Keller ISD has been through big dustup about this recently with its new high school and HEB ISD goes through it almost every year because it has so many apartments that affect the enrollment of the elementary schools and does quite a bit of busing to level out enrollment numbers --- of course every time the free rent runs out people move to another apt complex but makes the zoning kind of mutable...
but Texas has always has ISD boundaries that do not run congruent with towns or counties--sometimes people might take it for granted that a house in one town is in ISD by that name--like Lewisville or Frisco--but it is not automatic
Grapevine Colleyville ISD is in Hurst, Euless, Colleyville, Grapevine, and maybe Southlake...

Old 06-01-2009, 08:48 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
Well I am absolutely sure the area is frisco, but lisd. But Ive also read on this board that re-districting does occur. Now maybe that is within the same district, just different highschools, I am not sure. I also found some info that there was a move afoot from the homeowners in frisco to be moved to frisco ISD. I guess I am wondering if they really have a chance to make that happen. Personally, I just really like Hebron HS much better than the schools in Frisco ISD, especially since it is much more diverse.
Redistricting ONLY happens in the SAME district if and when a new school opens or to ease overcrowding. It would be HIGHLY unlikely that a district would give up an area to an adjoining district as that would be a lose of tax dollars and the schools would then be empty that were in that area for that district. Just won't happen. The homeowners that bought in that area and are unhappy should have done their due diligence. The state will NOT side w/ them and neither will the district they bought within.

Have you checked the commute from Frisco to Grand Prarie? That is going to be one major PAIN!!!! You can count on hardly seeing your family for that one.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM

lol, thanks for the info...its not my commute, its my husbands, and actually we did it, and it was about 55 min. He had been doing 45 min here, so it wasnt that bad. We are not buying yet, I am just doing my due diligence before we buy. I have decided we are going with Lewisville schools though, we most likely will rent first, because our house here hasnt sold, and we dont want to get caught up in the two mortgage deal. More than likely we will end up in Carrollton, but I do like the area of frisco which feeds Hebron HS. It really isnt deep into Frisco, which alleviates some of the traffic. I just really wanted to get some opinions about the move to blend those subdivisions into Frisco ISD. I actually found a website of the group, they seem rather vocal.

Last edited by cincylifer; 06-01-2009 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 AM

they can be vocal all over the place but they have about as much chance of changing their ISD zoning as I have of being elected Miss America

your real choice is $$$ for home price--
that will dictate more than anything what ISD/area you are buying into...
and if your husband is willing to drive an hour each way in that kind of traffic every day he is some kind of robot (no offense) but my husband would not do it for love NOR money...

Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,578 times
cincylifer - not sure what your budget is, but have you looked at Castle Hills? It feeds into Hebron HS and is a little closer to GBT and I-35 for a commute to Grand Prairie.

I agree with the other posters regarding the redistricting issue - very unlikely that LISD will allow that tax base to go over to Frisco ISD.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM

Well I am glad to hear the info...based on the website I found, apparently folks in those subdivisions that feed into Hebron, but are in Frisco, have a hard time with re-sell. I guess overall Frisco has a better rep than Lewisville, but when you break down the numbers, and believe me I have broken down the TAKS, ACT, SAT, Natl Merit,..Marcus, Flower Mound and Hebron are better than Frisco High Schools. Of course this is just my opinion, and I also needed a school with orchestra. All of LISD had orchestra, but only some of the schools in Frisco ISD. I also only want Hebron, because it is the most diverse, which is important to me. If I wasnt concerned about that, I would probably choose Marcus or FMHS. Who knows where we will eventually buy, but I do know that we are renting so the kids go to Hebron, and I have one in middle school. I did check the bus route and it is only a 1/2 hr ride, so I didnt think that was bad, its about what my kids do today because they are the first stop on the route.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,052 times
If you are living in Frisco in the Lewisville ISD, your house will not be assigned to Hebron High School, which is at the far south of LISD. Hebron is also not rated as highly as Flower Mound and Marcus high schools are.

Frisco high schools are different because they are smaller, which I think is a definite positive. TAKS scores are irrelevant because they are so basic, ACT isn't commonly taken in Texas, and SAT and National Merit have very little to do with the student's high school curriculum and have more to do with natural intelligence and the early education of a child.

Frisco's biggest issue is that all of their high schools are brand-new except Frisco High, which is still in many ways transitioning from the small rural school it was even ten years ago to the large suburban high school it is now. They aren't far away from when they were the Fightin' Coons and didn't think that was an issue.

Hebron is racially diverse but it isn't particularly economically diverse--most of the kids, regardless of race, live in custom homes in upper-middle-class neighborhoods, so I'd keep that in mind. Lewisville High is really the most diverse school in the district, because of its economic diversity as well as its racial diversity, but it's also one of the two lower-performing schools in the district (plus, the Fighting Farmers haven't been quite so good on the gridiron of late).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas