Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:41 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,085,492 times

Advertisements

After looking at all the great pictures of our area that have been posted on this forum, I thought it would be nice to share some photos of my neck of the woods with the posters on City-Data. I had planned on getting out and taking more photos of Lancaster's neighborhoods last week, but a post-Memorial Day stomach bug followed immediately by a mild cold halted that. I'll get to those when I feel better.

Most of the pictures in this first set are situated in the vicinity of State Highway 342 (known as Dallas Avenue in Lancaster and Lancaster Road in Dallas), including the downtown area. The road runs through north-to-south through the city.

Enjoy!

Entering Lancaster from Red Oak/Ellis County going northbound on State Highway 342. The posted population figure is 36,225. There were 25,894 people living in the city in 2000.

Bear Creek Ranch Subdivision Entrance. The neighborhood is technically in unincorporated Dallas County but its residents have Lancaster addresses.

Historic homes south of the Downtown District.

Lancaster's Historic Town Square

Heritage Park Gazebo. Lancaster City Hall is in the background and the dome belongs to the First Presbyterian Church of Lancaster.

First Presbyterian Church of Lancaster

Downtown view near Lancaster Community House.

Fire Station No. 1 at the new Public Safety Facility.

Lancaster Community Park Entrance at N. Dallas Avenue.

Ducks taking a late autumn dip at the pond in Lancaster Community Park.

Lancaster High School as seen from N. Dallas Avenue.

Lancaster High School. I took this picture back in January while the students were on Winter Break.

Beverly D. Humphrey Tiger Stadium. It is located immediately behind the high school campus. Also taken in January.

Last edited by Acntx; 07-30-2017 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM

6,711 posts, read 13,930,916 times
Man I love those historic homes in downtown Lancaster. I grew up right near Laurel Land Funeral Home and can remember when they first built Cedar Valley College. Back then the only reason to go to Lancaster was to go to the Shamrock Roller Rink. Thanks for sharing those great pics.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 PM

700 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them as I've never been to Lancaster!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 AM

I really appreciate the positive feedback!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Man I love those historic homes in downtown Lancaster. I grew up right near Laurel Land Funeral Home and can remember when they first built Cedar Valley College. Back then the only reason to go to Lancaster was to go to the Shamrock Roller Rink. Thanks for sharing those great pics.
My mom grew up in the Highland Hills area and remembers that skating rink as well. Today, it is a bingo hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them as I've never been to Lancaster!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,441,666 times
where are all the people?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 AM

6,711 posts, read 13,930,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post

The pics were taken during the winter so I would assume they are inside with the heat.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Like the majority of photos that are posted on this forum, I focused on a few sites rather than people. As I said in my initial post, I do plan to get out and photograph the neighborhoods when the mild cold I have eases up.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The pics were taken during the winter so I would assume they are inside with the heat.
You are right.

The photos of last two photos of LHS and its stadium were taken a day before an ice storm hit the area. A cold front had already blown in and I was chilled to the bone when I got home. Most of the others were taken recently.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,317,284 times
Quote:
Here they are.

Every spring, Lancaster hosts a ride for Greater Dallas Bicyclists (25, 60, and 100 miles) that winds through the countryside and along the Bluebonnet Trail near Ennis and back. The people in Lancaster display great hospitality in helping manage this ride. This is a shot of one of the starting groups from 2005 getting ready to leave from downtown.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM

869 posts, read 2,946,200 times
It's obvious you photoshopped all those pictures!!!

We know from other posters that everything south of 30 is a dump...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas