U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetbelle View Post
I was talking to my husband he felt that Southlake was a bit pricey. What do you guys think of Keller and Colleyville he saids it's the same school system.
Keller is nice and has some good home values, though they are catching up to Southlake. Grapevine is a great place to live and you can buy a very nice home for between $200K and $300. Colleyville is a great town, but the prices are very similar to Southlake. There are some older homes there that are a little more affordable and the property taxes are lower. Keller will have a soft real estate resale market for several years until it builds out or the big builders slow down.
Phil
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 AM

52 posts, read 216,553 times
You might want to look at Flower Mound. It is an easy commute to Southlake on highway 26. The schools are very good and it is a very family friendly area.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 AM

32,627 posts, read 51,232,810 times
it is not an EASY commute via 26 from Flower Mound to Southlake--26 does not really even go into Southlake and depending on where you start in Flower Mound it is more than likely you will have to go east on one of the surface roads to 121 and go across on 114 or 1709

Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM

I take 26 and it goes onto Southlake Blvd. To avoid even more traffic, you can go over the lake. I went this way this morning at 7:45 and it took me less than 15 minutes.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 AM

43 posts, read 281,556 times
I have been researching the DFW area like crazy and I think that the best schools seem to be in the Park Cities and Carroll ISD. That means Southlake - have you said what your house budget is? Colleyville is great as well as it falls into the Grapevine ISD. But some areas in Colleyville fall into the Keller ISD and I have been told to avoid Keller because the school district has been a bit unsteady and that the infrastructure in Keller has not been well planned to manage the growth they've experienced. I don't know this first hand (sorry to offend Keller peeps) but that's what I've been told. Also I've been told better appreciation on your house in Southlake...Good luck! We arrive 2 weeks today - yippee!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 AM

Allyjon
that was my point--you have to move off 26 to get to Southlake--unlike Colleyville where 26 runs basically through heart of city and depending on where you are going in Southlake either west on 1709 or around on 114 W--

going "over the lake" do you mean yu took Fairway Dr? or 2499--International Parkway?--they go around the east side of Grapevine Lake--not "over the lake" like the middle part--how far north did you start?

there is lot of Flower Mound and there are basically only one or two ways out--I would think with all the traffic moving on them they would get fairly congested--at least that is what I have heard...

Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 AM

2499 is three lanes. The back-up does not begin until almost the Grapevine border. Even then, if you are taking 26 that lane moves quickly. I usually go over the lake out of habit. To go over the lake (yes, you literally go over the lake-it is a beautiful drive) you take 2499 to Lakeside Parkway. I drive this route daily and it is not congested. Flower Mound has expanded their roads. Traffic flows quite well. I take 26 straight to Southlake Blvd. You will go over 114 but you do not ever need to get on the highway. I live in Flower Mound so I am quite familar with the traffic patterns. I do avoid taking 121-114 to get to Southlake. Traffic that way does back up.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 AM

443 posts, read 1,449,197 times
I think allyjon has some good suggestions, Flower Mound is a great around with a little more reasonable pricing, they also have some great ordinances providing for more natural areas and larger lot sizes. Keller and Trophy Club are also good choices, have to be careful which part you pick in Keller. I'm not certain but I think Colleyville home prices are right up with Southlake is this wrong?

Anyway several good communities within an easy commute to Southlake, while being in a little more reasonable home price range.

Btw, you mentioned Mckinney and Coppell, as others have mentioned McKinney is way too far when you have similiar choices nearby to his work. Coppell is ok, but the commute would take him through very congested 121 corridor at DFW north end, and Coppell ISD is not growing much anymore, so your kids would have alot more difficulty breaking into clicks and making friends, this info comes from my niece who had to go there for a while, later went to McKinney North and it was like night and day for acceptance and making friends.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:59 PM

loves2read- I think I have figured out the confusion with highway 26. Highway 26 starts over by Grapevine Mills Mall, it stays 26 until Ruth Wall, here the name changes to Northwest Highway (Bus 114.) This way goes straight to Southlake. It will not take you to Colleyville.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:50 PM

traffic does sound much better than I thought it would be--

HWY 26 is GRAPEVINE HWY--it goes right through downtown Grapevine (hence the name) where it is also named Ball St and Ira Woods, runs S through Colleyville where it is called Colleyville Blvd and then into NRH/Hurst area where it might be labled Boulevard 26 (yucky and pretentious).
It goes further south into old Haltom City where it merges w/Baker Blvd for short ways and eventually merging with 377 Ol Denton Hwy and turns into Belknap (Hwy 377) in Fort Worth --a very old street ...probably used by early TX colonists and longhorns wandering to water....

where do you end up--
we have had a terrible time finding a house we want in Colleyville/Keller area--my husband works in downtown FTW--

I wonder how much more time coming from Flower Mound would add to his commute--right now it is about 20-25 min depending on coming around NE Mall that is the big merge with 26 N--820 W and 121-183 E that slows everybody down....he could go right down Hwy 26 to bedford euless and go into FTW his usual route..coming home would be the tedious way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas