Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM

199 posts, read 902,297 times

Advertisements

I would be working downtown and would like to take DART. I have elementary age children and want good public schools. They don't have to be the best in the area, but definitely solid. Diversity is also important.

I would need to be able to commute in a reasonable time to pick up my kids from school, and I also want to know if the schools have before/after care programs.

I want to start off renting a home and eventually buy a home. My rent budget is $1400, and my home budget is $250,000. I would consider areas in the city of Dallas as well as the suburbs. Thanks for all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
75206 (M-Streets/Lower Greenville/Wilshire Heights/Caruth Terrace/Stonewall Terrace/Lakewood Heights) - schools: Stonewall Jackson (Blue Ribbon) and Robert E. Lee (recognized but coming up) - Stonewall is closest to Mockingbird Station. If you drive or take a bus you could locate in 75214 (Junius Heights/Lakewood/ - Lipscomb (exemplary 4 years) and Lakewood Elementary (Blue Ribbon). Lipscomb and Lee are the most diverse.

Many homes available for rent except in Lakewood proper. It may be out of your price range, but you might find a deal. You could look at the smaller ranch homes north of Mockingbird.

There is a DART rail station opening at Baylor Hospital, which is near Junius Heights and Munger Place but by the time you get to it you might as well drive since it's so close to downtown. There is a bike/jogging trail opening which would be accessible from Junius Heights and neighboring Hollywood Heights (75223) which will connect to the DART station but it is not quite finished. If you take it in the other direction, it goes to White Rock Lake.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Lipscomb Elem is great with good diversity. You could live on/off Gaston and take the Dart bus into downtown very easily.

Lipscomb has an afterschool program Mon-Thurs. But there are 2 daycares directly across the street who walk kids over in the morning and pick kids up in the afternoon.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 PM

199 posts, read 902,297 times
Thank you. What area of Dallas are these areas in? I looked up Stonewall Jackson and it seems like a great school. Do they have afterschool care? How far of a commute from this area to downtown?

Also, what suburb areas would anyone recommend for comparison purposes?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
You might try the Lake Highlands area of Dallas. City of Dallas, Richardson school district, Lake Highland High School attendance zone. Focus on the following elementary schools - Moss Haven, Merriman Park, Lake Highlands and a couple of other better ones I am drawing a blank on. I would avoid Stults Road, Skyview and a couple others. They all ultimately feed into Lake Highlands High School.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Lipscomb Elem is in Junius Heights - zip code 75214 - it's a part of East Dallas.
Gaston is a street that feeds directly into downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas