Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 03:33 PM

57 posts, read 168,671 times

Advertisements

Besides Garland ISD, might anyone know if there are other school districts in the DFW area that has the "school of choice" program? This is where parents can select the school in that ISD where they want their kid(s) to attend, versus being assigned a school based on your address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,710,702 times
Garland ISD is the only district pretty much in the entire state that has "choice of school". It came about back in the 70's under a court order for disegretagion. The GISD has more then complied and is able to get out from under it but has chosen to keep the "choice of school" system.

A few years ago the state passed a law that if a school is underperforming for more than 2 years the parents can ask to be moved to a different school besides their zoned neighborhood school. You can also ask for transfers in all districts but it is not a gaurantee you can get it year after year.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,575,681 times
In most districts you are able to do so if you want to deal with the paperwork. A lot of districts have magnet programs at multiple schools, which might not be well known, so if you do your research you can get them into whatever HS you want. There are also some little known types of transfers you can use. There are hardship transfers which allow you to transfer a kid into whatever school you want, and just what constitutes a "hardship" is often open to interpretation. There are also majority to minority transfers, which allow you to transfer from a school where your race is in the majority to a school where your race is in the minority (this one may just be DISD). You also may be able to transfer without a vaild reason and pay tuition (which at something like $2000 a year is a token amount and not comparable to private school tuition).

But Garland is the only school district with an active school choice program covering the entire district.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:00 PM

6,713 posts, read 13,922,046 times
I have a question regarding DISD. When I went to highschool I was able to go to just about any high school on a M&M transfer (minority to majority). Back then whites were the majority. Now that minorities are largest group, can whites who are now the minority go to just about any high school on a M&M transfer. I'm not very certain if this practice is even in effect now days. Just thought I would ask.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,575,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I have a question regarding DISD. When I went to highschool I was able to go to just about any high school on a M&M transfer (minority to majority). Back then whites were the majority. Now that minorities are largest group, can whites who are now the minority go to just about any high school on a M&M transfer. I'm not very certain if this practice is even in effect now days. Just thought I would ask.
M&M is not minority to majority, it's majority to minority. It's designed to prevent white flight and to introduce minorities into what were then largely white schools, or to allow whites to attend "black" schools.

Whites aren't a majority at any comprehensive DISD high school anymore (Seagoville HS has the most white students, at 1/3 wor so white), so they can't use M&M transfer. Most schools Hispanic have the majority, so they can transfer to largely black schools, and black students can use the rule to transfer to largely Hispanic schools, but whites cannot use M&M to transfer as they would be pohibitive to desegregation, which is why that transfer is allowed to begin with.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 PM

6,713 posts, read 13,922,046 times
I would have said majority to minority if I would have reread my post before submitting. Thank you for answering my question. I truly had no clue as to the answer.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:09 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,204,215 times
El Paso is the other city in Texas with Choice of School. But I think that commute would be pretty long.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas