Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 PM

31 posts, read 59,766 times

Advertisements

Besides hoping that the swine flu pandemic doesn't have everyone in dallas crazy, I hope to do as much as possible Wed,Thur in the evening and see some of Dallas on the 12th in the day time.

Coming from Miami with a possibility to move here to dallas, what restaurants (steakhouses) can you recommend medium to high end that are great as well as what bars or lounges can I go to?

I'm going to be staying at a hotel near the galleria mall.

Traveling solo is kind of tough more so when you come from Miami where going anywhere solo (socially) is as fun as shooting yourself in the foot, because if you don't know anyone or are'nt in a group people are usually not friendly and outgoing.

I arrive Wed 10 at noon and have nothing to do from noon on.
the 11th i will be in a seminar all day till about 5-6? After that I'm free to explore the rest of dallas till I leave on Thursday at 3pm need to be the airport.

So any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
First, welcome! Be sure to venture south of the Galleria area into downtown/ uptown so you can see the heart of Dallas & not just the inner suburbs surrounding the Galleria.
Have no idea what your interests are, but highly recommend the Nasher Sculpture Garden & Museum. It is downtown in the Arts District, small but unique, began with collection of beloved Dallas icon & developer who founded NorthPark Center.
If you like nature/ being outside, take a walk around White Rock Lake or visit the Arboretum.

If you like shopping, check out NorthPark Center- one of the few billion-dollar malls in the country. High end focus, but also good staples like Banana, Dillard's, JCrew, etc.

Steakhouses- Nick&Sam's is my absolute favorite restaurant in Dallas. High end steakhouse with great bar scene. In the Uptown area. Wonderful steaks, service, & sides.

Going out - if you are considering a move to Dallas, check out these bars/ lounges:
For laid-back beer bars with great patios, check out the Gingerman or TABC, both in Uptown, off McKinney Ave. Also, the Old Monk & Barcadia are cool places on Henderson in the same vein. For lounge/ club, try Social House in the West Village (downstairs) or the bar at the W in Victory. If you love to dance, try the Slip Inn (slightly sketchy dive on Henderson where rich/poor/black/white/brown all mix & groove to the dj's tunes). Grab pizza at Louie's across the street afterwards.

If you want a good driving tour of fun places you'd want to live, try this loop: Dallas N Tollroad south from the Galleria area, exit Wycliff. Left on Wycliff to Cedar Springs. Right on Cedar Springs. Right on Turtle Creek. Many young people rent/own condos at 3225 Turtle Creek (corner of Cedar Springs). You are now driving through Uptown. Continue south on Turtle Creek until Maple, take a left & then left on McKinney- the "main drag" through uptown. Many bars, restaurants, apartments & condos off McKinney. Wander the side streets. Take McKinney north to Lemmon. This is the West Village area - full of bars & restaurants (try Mi Cocina for good Tex-Mex and a scene), shops, indie theatre, & bookstore. Continue north until Knox Street. Left on Knox, left on Travis, left on McKinney (good loop through this walkable neighborhood). Take Knox east across 75- it becomes Henderson. Great nightlife district. Continue on until left at McMillan & take north to Monticello. You are now in the M Streets, charming neighborhood with tons of young professionals. Right on Monticello to Greenville; right on Greenville. Another good nightlife district. Many duplexes for rent in the area with more new construction townhomes the further south you go. Right on Ross which will take you straight into downtown & the Arts District. Right on Field, which will take you past Victory Park (W, House of Blues, & American Airlines Center). Look for signs to Harry Hines to Tollroad to take you back to the Galleria.

This should give you a taste of non-cookie cutter, non-concrete strip mall filled with Olive Gardens Dallas.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 AM

31 posts, read 59,766 times
All I can say is wow. Thanks! I had previously heard of the knox/henderson area. So I will definately check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas