U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,846,083 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a name for this area 75230?
I noticed it has a number of retiree age people in the demographics on Sperling's bestplaces. Is the reason that a few country clubs are around there the draw for older people?
Does the DART come thru that area, also? Anyone know about public transportation in that area? Sometimes I would rather be driven than drive my car around to get from point A to B.
By the way, is it hard to get cabs in Dallas? I assume there are not roaming cabs like in Chicago or DC in the DFW area. I know Houston doesn't have roaming cabs, and I surely miss that feature.

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 06-14-2009 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: Moderator: Can you delete this one without the ? in the title?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:20 AM

2,259 posts, read 9,115,910 times
I think that's the Preston Hollow area, I say I think because I'm not really sure where Preston Hollow starts and ends, but that's the general vicinity. It's pricey and an area where older houses are bought and then torn down to build new. Maybe the retiree demographics are those that have homesteaded there as a young family and have stayed as their family grew and moved out.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM

2,259 posts, read 9,115,910 times
75230 does indeed include Preston Hollow Preston Hollow, Dallas, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2009, 10:11 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,788,481 times
75230 contains Preston Hollow, it is mostly a wealthy area of town. It is not somewhere I would see being a draw for retirees due to the high cost of real estate there.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:22 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I noticed it has a number of retiree age people in the demographics on Sperling's bestplaces. Is the reason that a few country clubs are around there the draw for older people?
Does the DART come thru that area, also? Anyone know about public transportation in that area? Sometimes I would rather be driven than drive my car around to get from point A to B.
By the way, is it hard to get cabs in Dallas? I assume there are not roaming cabs like in Chicago or DC in the DFW area. I know Houston doesn't have roaming cabs, and I surely miss that feature.
The retirees are largely people who have lived in the neighborhood since they were young adults and have remained there after retirement.

The country clubs aren't a huge draw for old people, largely because at a lot of clubs in Dallas you can't just move in and walk up and join a country club. You need to get members to sponsor you and complete a lengthy application process and pay an initiation fee which colud be as high as $200,000, plus monthly dues of $500-$1000. Most people who have club memberships in Dallas either get them as young professionals or they inherit them. There are a few clubs that are newer and cheaper, but for the most established clubs in Dallas it would be difficult for a retiree couple who moved in to get a membership.

DART comes through the area, but it's not going to be particularly efficient to take DART anywhere. Public transportation in Dallas is not a popular means of getting around the city.

We don't usually have roaming cabs. You might find cabs congregating around places like bars and hotels and the airport where people would need a ride, but you can't just flag a cab down from the street and get a ride for the most part--you have to call them to pick you up.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 AM

6,584 posts, read 23,720,304 times
What country club is in 75230?

DART buses go through there, but it's mostly maids coming in or kids getting to and from school.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:18 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,869,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
What country club is in 75230?

DART buses go through there, but it's mostly maids coming in or kids getting to and from school.
Not sure. Maybe Royal Oaks? Know lots of people in this area code who belong there.

Last edited by TXNGL; 06-14-2009 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 06-14-2009, 12:50 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,232,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I lived in 75230 when we were in Dallas. Interesting neighborhood, you do have retirees, but also a large orthodox Jewish population and a middle class African American population. As another poster mentioned, a number of the older ranch houses get bought up and knocked down so a mcmansion can be put up on the property. No DART access, can't speak about the bus since we drove our cars everywhere. Part of the area goes by Preston Hollow but I don't think all of it.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:52 PM

6,584 posts, read 23,720,304 times
Royal Oaks Country Club is 75231. Its new members are mostly young families, many of whom live in Preston Hollow 75230. I think ROCC has now priced themselves out of attracting Lake Highlands families.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:57 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,869,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Royal Oaks Country Club is 75231. Its new members are mostly young families, many of whom live in Preston Hollow 75230. I think ROCC has now priced themselves out of attracting Lake Highlands families.
That's too bad, especially in this economy. I've never been there, but I've been under the impression it's more laid back than the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas