Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times

Advertisements

I have had 5% tint on all of my vehicles since 1994 and never got pulled over for it.

Last edited by DaveG99; 06-19-2009 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I'm considering getting my vehicle tinted 50% all around (except the windshield) to cut down on the heat.

I used to have a garage but now I don't, and it gets blazing hot sitting in the sun all day!
The lower the number the darker the tint. You can go 35% in Texas, that will be darker than 50%

Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The lower the number the darker the tint. You can go 35% in Texas, that will be darker than 50%
I know, because I don't want it too dark. I want to be able to see well at night. What I have now is 100% (not even a slight tint that some cars come with from the factory), so 50% would be a huge improvement.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:53 AM

216 posts, read 716,065 times
even cops dont care about front license plates.

rookie cops have to make a certain number of stops during training. Not having a front LP is just great Probable cause to stop you. otherwise, most will let you off with a warning

Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I know, because I don't want it too dark. I want to be able to see well at night. What I have now is 100% (not even a slight tint that some cars come with from the factory), so 50% would be a huge improvement.
I have the 35% and it doesn't bother me at night.... and I don't have the best eyesight in the world eithr. You would be surprised in the daylight the difference between 35% and 50%.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 AM

122 posts, read 349,075 times
I used to have a customized car and had the whole works. I had a customized front bumper and never put my front license plate on for a long time. I got pulled over about 4 times for it, all warnings. I would just tell them I was in the process of putting it on. But yes, you can get pulled over for it, if they want to be picky. I never saw the point of front license plates but that's another story. And I see a lot of people who have customized cars have them inside the car on the front windshield.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,008 times
Do i need a permit to drive throught Texas if if i bought a light truck in atlanta georgia where the law says all i need is a bill of sales to get me through without a plate on the truck?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E. View Post
Do i need a permit to drive throught Texas if if i bought a light truck in atlanta georgia where the law says all i need is a bill of sales to get me through without a plate on the truck?
The dealer in Georgia should give you a paper temp. plate. That should be good thru any state. We have bought commmercial trucks from out of state and driven them back here to Texas and not had any problems. Just had the temp paper plate from the dealer.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:50 PM

69 posts, read 453,447 times
Toyotas must be exotics because every dealer I've bought from in the metroplex drills holes in the front bumper for the license plate. They don't drill holes in MY bumper though, because I wait them out and eventually they send the plates in the mail. One plate goes on the back, one plate goes in the trunk. A bill goes through the legislature every couple years but nothing ever gets done about it. No cop has ever given me grief about it, especially Dallas proper cop who I can't imagine them caring except for in far north Dallas.

I don't buy exotic cars, I don't buy cars for looks, but Toyotas cars look just terrible with a front license plate tacked on, and look worse later with holes drilled in the bumper.

Jason

Old 09-18-2009, 10:09 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,007 times
This thread brings back memories of my front plate ticket. I am guilty of displaying plate in front passenger window since my car is a bit high end and has no front plate attachment or holes in bumper. But what was funny it never was an issue until I was going out of town and parked off site at LAX. Well, guess LAPD was patrolling the parking lot and even with a car parked in front of me I got a ticket for no front plate. The plate was on my back seat at that time. Even funnier, I worked for LAPD at the time. I just paid the thing cause it is the law! I believe it was $35 and then I got a refund of 10 or 15 cause I was overcharged.

Like momof2 said it's all in the attitude if you ask me. I've been pulled over twice in TX in a year. Once for speeding in Coppell and recently for brake light being out in Irving. So far got off with warnings but not going for the third time...may not be so lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas