Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 04:59 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

No, I'm talking about the old signs:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/4769/drivefriendly.png (broken link)

I guess you 'had to be there'.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:41 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
New Yorkers are the epitome of bad at geography. The majority of them (mine and my wife's family from Long Island particulary) are basically geographically illiterate and do not do well outside their own zip codes. They think their backyard is the center of the planet and display much ignorance when it comes to anything beyond their bridges and tunnels. Been that way for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I just don't see any facts. I never said or made any claims that NO New Yorkers came to Dallas. I don't see the trend though, especially to point to them for the bad driving reputation.

I'm not angry or rude. I don't really have opinions of New Yorkers, except that they tend to think very highly of their own city and they are notoriously bad at American Geography. It's a stereotype, and one I've found to be rather true, its not a knock on Dallas.

I'm not comabtive. I think its the other way around actually. I'm just waiting for some factual basis to these claims.

I've already stated that my impressions of Dallas were of a traveller. I wanted to like Dallas (heck I got out of my office for a week). I thought there were some cool buildings and architecture but I didn't care for the feel of it much or the way it empties out at night....and of course the other things mentioned....which are my opinions and impressions, not facts.

If anything, I think some people here ARE representing Dallas as rather pretentious, condescending and rude, patronizing, etc. Ms. Can't stop laughing at how incredibly stupid I am!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:54 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
No, I'm talking about the old signs:

I guess you 'had to be there'.
I'm sorry; I'm talking motto and you switched to a campaign / slogan of sort. Oh well, I guess one did have to be there.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 PM

346 posts, read 730,354 times
I agree about the New Yorkers being so full of themselves and thinking they're the center of the universe. They think New York is some utopia and everywhere else in the world is so inferior. I used to date a guy from Long Island and we always had fights about this, when he'd make some comment about how other people aren't a good and other things are inferior to the all-mighty New York.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 PM

77 posts, read 227,732 times
Default Wolf....first off

U are a cynical gay man. In yer comment u displayed this and u know how. I am neither cyn or faig but I know where yer sashayin saw that T-Shirt. Queens werent hittn on ya that day?
I always getta thank u when I open tha door for a woman here. U'r hangin out in ....where'ver u hang it out.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
New Yorkers are the epitome of bad at geography. The majority of them (mine and my wife's family from Long Island particulary) are basically geographically illiterate and do not do well outside their own zip codes. They think their backyard is the center of the planet and display much ignorance when it comes to anything beyond their bridges and tunnels. Been that way for many years.

yeah...lol...that's what I was talking about! One of my best friends is from Long Island and she told me all about it. She moved to Texas (austin) for awhile and all her friends thought she was crazy. She went to college in Minnesota too and I think half of them thought she was in Canada somewhere....pretty much everything in the middle is just a flyover state...lol.

Of course, I don't share these opinions, I'm just familiar with them! She told me that in school, the focus was more on local geography and history, for whatever reason.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM

134 posts, read 516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can't go 70 on H1! You can barely go forty! LOL! I remember looking out my apartment window in Aiea at 5:30 in the morning and seeing the eastbound side of H1 already at a dead stop...
You can go 70 on H1...it's not always at a dead standstill. Like at midnight or 1:30pm. It just takes a lot of weaving!

Also- I totally agree that it's everywhere that's gotten worse with attitude. My family is very spread out, so I see it no matter where I go. Northeast, Midwest, Deep South. And I really gotta wonder- who does Frisco bag on? I mean, we all used to bag on Highland Park for being the snobs when I was a kid. Now everyone bags on Frisco. It's like when I lived in Arkansas and we bagged on KY for being hicks, because the rest of the country bagged on AR. Everybody's gotta bag on somebody else to make themselves feel better. It's just human nature, I guess.

Last edited by TXLara; 06-22-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 AM

137 posts, read 522,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknc View Post
Hold a door for a lady (or man) in any other city and you will get a thank you or at least a nod, hold a door for a Dallas lady and she will stick her nose in the air and walk on by. And thats just one example.
The said "Dallas lady" is probably a transplant.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM

134 posts, read 516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwnj View Post
The said "Dallas lady" is probably a transplant.
She's no "lady"! I always say thank you. And I even...gasp...hold the door open for men! Shocker, I know! But I gots mad skillz cuz I apparently can wear heels, prance around with my nose in the air, AND hold the door open for other people while saying hi.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:41 PM

346 posts, read 730,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLara View Post
But I gots mad skillz cuz I apparently can wear heels, prance around with my nose in the air, AND hold the door open for other people while saying hi.
Wow, me too. It sounds like I'm going to fit right in in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas