Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknc View Post
I have traveled all over the world and been to almost every major city in the U.S. and I can honestly say when it comes to rude people Dallas takes home the trophy. Hold a door for a lady (or man) in any other city and you will get a thank you or at least a nod, hold a door for a Dallas lady and she will stick her nose in the air and walk on by. And thats just one example.
While I don't live in dallas, I have been on several occasions, and it was seldom that ppl were rude like that when I held a door open. Go up north and hold a door open, ppl will think you are demeaning women.
I have tried to wrap my mind around it to understand why people in Dallas are so rude but I simply cant. Yes Dallas you are a large city in the heart of a large state but seriously, its Texas. Its not a pretty city either, I dont care how many green neon lights you stick on a building, its just ugly. So you have a Gucci at North Park mall... sorry but that doesn't make you world class. Wow, sour, not all of dallas is ugly, I found the downtown area to be quite nice, but I will say that most of the dallas suburbs are ugly, they are just so bland.

I saw a shirt in a store while visiting the last time that said "keep Dallas pretentious", I can tell you, you have a long way to go before you lose the pretentiousness but just realize that when well traveled and people with real class visit your city and experience the pretentiousness, we laugh. Being pretentious and rude does not make you special, or classy, or in any way a world class city, it just makes you appear to be an ignorant a-hole in the middle of Texas.
Being prententious and stuck up does not make anyone anywhere look classy, and quite frankly, like you I dont like stuck up ppl either. They are douches who need to wake up and realize that they are not all that.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 AM

81 posts, read 229,856 times
I used to think people were nice here...not so much anymore. They are definitely pretentious, at least people back east will tell you like it is and keep it moving. I dont care to have friendly banter here if you are going to turn around and act like an *******

Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM

31 posts, read 79,344 times
I have found Dallas people to be quite pretentious. Addison is worse, however.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlCoder View Post
I have found Dallas people to be quite pretentious. Addison is worse, however.
I don't know who you're hanging out with but I've lived here for 30 years minus time in college and I don't find the population pretentious at all. Maybe people think you and everyone else who's complaining are pretentious for quietly judging them. I have several friends in Junior League (an organization that could easily be judged as being full of snobs) and they aren't that way at all.

Next time you go out, go talk to someone you don't know. Make the first move. Crazy idea, I know. Those who are truly awful are probably insecure or else they wouldn't cop such an attitude. Those who really have the power and money and could easily be pretentious are some of the nicest people I know.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM

31 posts, read 79,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
I don't know who you're hanging out with but I've lived here for 30 years minus time in college and I don't find the population pretentious at all. Maybe people think you and everyone else who's complaining are pretentious for quietly judging them. I have several friends in Junior League (an organization that could easily be judged as being full of snobs) and they aren't that way at all.

Next time you go out, go talk to someone you don't know. Make the first move. Crazy idea, I know. Those who are truly awful are probably insecure or else they wouldn't cop such an attitude. Those who really have the power and money and could easily be pretentious are some of the nicest people I know.

I actually have made the first move. I quit doing so when I kept being snobbed. After having lived here for nearly 15 years I do believe I am qualified on my statements based on experience.

BTW, how would you like to have been asked with a smirk, "You're not from around here, are yoooooooooo?" And then ignored? Not such a welcoming introduction to the area. But meh.. I stayed anyway and met a wonderful man.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 PM

142 posts, read 362,396 times
Its gotten worse through the years that is true. DFW area has the RUDEST drivers I have EVER seen and I lived in South Florida. No where else will someone speed up to pass you, then get in front of you to turn right at the next corner. But they can because they are driving a Lexus or a BMW..or an SUV. Unbelieveable. I'd like some people in Southlake to look up what a 4 way stop means. It doesn't mean roll to a stop then barrel through.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Its gotten worse through the years that is true. DFW area has the RUDEST drivers I have EVER seen and I lived in South Florida. No where else will someone speed up to pass you, then get in front of you to turn right at the next corner. But they can because they are driving a Lexus or a BMW..or an SUV. Unbelieveable. I'd like some people in Southlake to look up what a 4 way stop means. It doesn't mean roll to a stop then barrel through.
It isn't just Southlake drivers who need to be schooled on how to use a 4-way stop. I am nearly clobbered several times a week at one near my office. It can be irritating.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:18 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,301 times
As a native Texan, I left the DFW/Dallas area after 35 years. People are rude and it is getting worse...and most likely they are the transplants that have descended from elsewhere. Not everyone is rude that moves here, but most native Texans are very friendly. To say that Texans are rude is not an accurate statement, imo.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,284 times
I have lived in Dallas for more than 30 years. For the most part, I think the majority of the people are kind and gracious. However, I ran into one today who qualifies for the rude & proud of it award. My grown daughter & I were shopping at an estate sale. My daughter picked up an item to examine marks on the bottom & the top fell off & broke. She immediately took the item to the check out table. The woman who was holding the estate sale exclaimed very loudly & in a rude manner "That is $40.00!" My daughter told her she was aware of that. We went into another room & decided to just leave. My daughter paid for the item & told the woman that she didn't have to be rude. Her reply was "It's my job to be rude to people who break things." I was awestruck. This woman thinks it is her job to be rude! Needless to say, we will never attend another estate sale managed by this company. I won't mention names here, but watch out for estate sale companies with initials that are about the 11th & 13th letters in the alphabet.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Dallas has changed and it's not as friendly as it used to be. Pains me to say that, but it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas