Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
no its isnt. according the forbes most recent ranking, new york and LA are the only US cities in the top ten in terms of most billionaires. may 2011 issue of forbes. you know who's on top? moscow. hong kong. istanbul. all world class.

lets say for argument's sake that you're right, there being several billionaires here has very little correlation with how much disposable income the rest of us have, all that shows is how much more out of whack the income disparity is between those at the top and the rest of us. that's like judging how large an iceberg is by how big it looks on the surface of the water, its a very dumb conclusion to draw.

here's a better measure - per capita forclosure filings for the past year. realtytrac released a ranking of the mid to major metro areas in the country for the past year and in spite of there being no state income tax and having one of the lowest cost of livings of all the big metro areas in the country, DFW-arlington ranked 98th highest out of 203. i'd expect our ranking to be much, much lower, especially with out of staters moving here in large numbers for several years.

I edited my post before you posted because after I reread my post I realized that sentence was irrelevant. And the statistic is for the DFW area, not the city itself. I should have clarified.

Either way, it doesn't change my argument. It's absurd to think Dallasites don't have the means to travel and don't travel. I'm not sure why it offends some people that there are people out there who live in and love Dallas.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
dallas is not world class. its very nice, still growing and needs to work on its obvious problems of a desolate, underdeveloped downtown, a neglected southside and a broken public school system, for starters. go visit munich or vancouver or santiago or helsinki or osaka sometime - you'll feel silly for thinking dallas is anywhere in their league.

also, i'm not including fort worth in my criticism of dallas. fort worth is the finest city in the state, by a mile. you dont get the same pretentiousness, its not as crowded and downtown fort worth is a gem and a travel destination. that's why i live here. but i work in downtown dallas. so i see the bull**** everyday.

And I love Fort Worth as much, if not more, than Dallas, but it's funny how much of a gem Fort Worth is to you when it has many of the same problems you criticize Dallas for. Their public school system is actually rated worse than Dallas's. Fort Worth is about the same segregation wise as Dallas (Hispanics to the north, whites in the southwest, and blacks to the southeast. Asians are where -- Haltom City??) It also has its own neglected parts of town. You're absolutely right though that it's difficult to beat Fort Worth's personality and downtown.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I edited my post before you posted because after I reread my post I realized that sentence was irrelevant. And the statistic is for the DFW area, not the city itself. I should have clarified.

Either way, it doesn't change my argument. It's absurd to think Dallasites don't have the means to travel and don't travel. I'm not sure why it offends some people that there are people out there who live in and love Dallas.
It doesn't offend me that there are people who love Dallas. But when people start talking about the city being "world-class" or being "the greatest city in America," while they're entitled to their opinion, I believe the majority of people who say things like that don't really get out much and it sounds like a bunch of provincial jingoism. I guess if I had move straight to DFW from some craphole or cesspool town in Louisiana, Oklahoma, or Arkansas, I'd be very impressed by Dallas too. But if you've been around like me, you'd know better. And I NEVER said that all Dallasites don't travel. That would be absurd.

@Eric Fred Norris - Your assesment of Houston is spot-on. While it's not a world-class city either, it's way more cosmopolitan and progressive than Dallas, and not quite as segregated. Better museums and restaurants and no silly croquet hoops over drainage ditches either. As a black woman, that's why I advise any black person who has to settle for a state like Texas to move to Houston instead of Dallas. I live on the East Coast now and people I know who moved to DFW are often shocked and appalled at how different things can be there. Too many parts of the area where blacks aren't exactly welcome to the white-flight meccas and minority free (for now) promised lands, not to mention the neo-nazi groups, and skinheads in some of the farther-out areas to boot. In this day and age when sites like stormfront are frighteningly and quickly becoming the voice of mainstream America and facing a massive race war in the near-future, what do people expect? For the most part, people prefer to live around those who look like them. I prefer a muticultural neighborhood myself, but I know that's not reality everywhere.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 01-21-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
It doesn't offend me that there are people who love Dallas. But when people start talking about the city being "world-class" or being "the greatest city in America," while they're entitled to their opinion, I believe the majority of people who say things like that don't really get out much and it sounds like a bunch of provincial jingoism. I guess if I had move straight to DFW from some craphole or cesspool town in Louisiana, Oklahoma, or Arkansas, I'd be very impressed by Dallas too. But if you've been around like me, you'd know better. And I NEVER said that all Dallasites don't travel. That would be absurd.

@Eric Fred Norris - Your assesment of Houston is spot-on. While not a world-class city, it's way more cosmopolitan and progressive than Dallas, and not quite as segregated. That's why I advise any black person who has to settle for a state like Texas to move to Houston instead of Dallas. I live on the East Coast now and people I know who moved to DFW are often shocked and appalled at how different things can be there. Too many parts of the area where blacks aren't exactly welcome to the white-flight meccas and minority free (for now) promised lands, not to mention the neo-nazi groups, and skinheads in some of the farther-out areas to boot. Or how submissive and passive a lot of the local blacks in the area compared to other parts of the south. Oh well...In this day and age when sites like stormfront are frighteningly and quickly becoming the voice of mainstream America and facing a massive race war in the near-future, what do people expect? For the most part, people prefer to live around those who look like them. I prefer a muticultural neighborhood myself, but I know that's not reality everywhere.
Fair enough. And not everyone's going to love Dallas. I have no beef with that. Everyone has their metrics for what is "world-class." Personally, when I think of World-class cities my mind goes to New York City, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Toronto, Mexico City, Paris, and so on. In other words, the biggest and most populated cities in a country. However, I've never liked the sardine lifestyle so these places don't particularly appeal to me. If somebody thinks Dallas is the greatest city in the country, so what? I don't agree with that myself, but everyone has different reasons for liking a place.

There are organizations out there that actually have set standards and measure such things, though. It's been brought up on this site many times before, but Dallas IS classified as an alpha city on the GaWC (Global and World Cities Research Network) global cities scale. And it's rated above multiple cities mentioned on this very thread that Dallas should aspire to be.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

So in all fairness, if you are arguing that Dallas can't be world class in anything, you're arguing against this group as well.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM

178 posts, read 398,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
And I love Fort Worth as much, if not more, than Dallas, but it's funny how much of a gem Fort Worth is to you when it has many of the same problems you criticize Dallas for. Their public school system is actually rated worse than Dallas's. Fort Worth is about the same segregation wise as Dallas (Hispanics to the north, whites in the southwest, and blacks to the southeast. Asians are where -- Haltom City??) It also has its own neglected parts of town. You're absolutely right though that it's difficult to beat Fort Worth's personality and downtown.
but no one's claiming fort worth is world class, nor am i claiming fort worth is more cultured that dallas. it not being anything close to world class is why i love it. the whole point of this thread and discussion is folks from dallas thinking dallas is world class, that the fantasy of it being that is created by the folks who live there. i'm not turned off to fort worth because no one here is pretending the city to be something that its not. as this thread proves, you cant say that for dallas.

i suggest not being so defensive, its clearly clouding your reasoning.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry honey, you must've mistaken me for someone who gives a single damn what you think. I know the truth hurts. I'm pretty sure coming from the metropolis of Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina, you probably think Charlotte is "world-class" too, so I can imagine that Dallas knocks your socks off

The ONLY thing that is "world-class" in Dallas is the shopping. Otherwise, it's known for being a place thats good for business and you buy a "cheap house" and being a good place to raise your crotchfruit.

The only "world-class" cities in the US are New York, Chicago, DC (by default to be fair) and maybe Los Angeles. Honorable mention to San Francisco, Boston, Philly, and maybe Miami (and a BIG maybe at that).

You don't know anything about me, what I've seen or the countries & cities I've been to. You're just showing your arrogance & ignorance. Hate it for you.

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 01-22-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:

The ONLY thing that is "world-class" in Dallas is the shopping.

I would add the food and the airport as things about the DFW area that are world class.

But overall, (and I've always said this) Dallas isn't fully a world class city, but it's has elements about it that are.

Like you, I prefer multicultural places, but a lot of areas of DFW fit that bill nicely. I live in North Plano and it's multicultural by any standard. Same with places in Garland, Irving, and Carrollton (for example). I grew up in LA and I spent 1/4 of my time working abroad so I'm well versed on what multiculturalism is.

Neo-nazis and skinheads? I'm sorry, but they are pretty much irrelevant to this discussion. Lived here for almost three years and have yet to see any evidence of them anywhere in DFW or the surrounding areas.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I would add the food and the airport as things about the DFW area that are world class.

But overall, (and I've always said this) Dallas isn't fully a world class city, but it's has elements about it that are.

Like you, I prefer multicultural places, but a lot of areas of DFW fit that bill nicely. I live in North Plano and it's multicultural by any standard. Same with places in Garland, Irving, and Carrollton (for example). I grew up in LA and I spent 1/4 of my time working abroad so I'm well versed on what multiculturalism is.

Neo-nazis and skinheads? I'm sorry, but they are pretty much irrelevant to this discussion. Lived here for almost three years and have yet to see any evidence of them anywhere in DFW or the surrounding areas.
Yea....I couldn't figure that one out either....I really don't think its no winning with her. Overall the core counties of Dallas and Tarrant County are very integrated.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry honey, you must've mistaken me for someone who gives a single damn what you think. I know the truth hurts. I'm pretty sure coming from the metropolis of Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina, you probably think Charlotte is "world-class" too, so I can imagine that Dallas knocks your socks off

The ONLY thing that is "world-class" in Dallas is the shopping. Otherwise, it's known for being a place thats good for business and you buy a "cheap house" and being a good place to raise your crotchfruit.

The only "world-class" cities in the US are New York, Chicago, DC (by default to be fair) and maybe Los Angeles. Honorable mention to San Francisco, Boston, Philly, and maybe Miami (and a BIG maybe at that).

Good Lord a female Sheldon Cooper [Big Bang Theory]!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:31 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I'd leave out the food. It's fine, but it's not "world class". As noted I'm from Chicago, and that city is ahead of Dallas foodwise (and the foodies I've talked to who work at places like Central Market and Crate & Barrel who've spent time in both cities agree). New York is also light years ahead of Dallas re: food and upper end restaurants, sorry.

DFW airport, however, is MUCH better than O'Hare, at least from a passenger's perspective. And I can speak from LOTS of personal experience in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas