Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
Why must you take an opinion expressed on a forum so personally? Point out anywhere in my posts where I said I have a problem with neighbors sharing a beer.

I stand by my comments that the imagery evident amongst 'Arlenians' is not consistant with the overriding culture of Richardson.

Now I realize that there are more working class/poorer parts of Richardson, but the vibe I get in watching King of the Hill still seems more consistant with places like Lubbock, Midland, or Lufkin.

That's my opinion and I'm free to hold it. And please, take a chill pill.
I am chillin, don't worry. I'm not taking it personally at all. I'm just trying to educate you that your opinion of Richardson is severaly flawed and anyone that has spent any amount of time IN Richardson would know that.

You obviously do not know much about Richardson, the people that reside there nor the culture of Richardson. If you were to actually come to Richardson and try to experience it firsthand you would understand that your "opinion" is flat out wrong. I live just 3 miles from the Richardson border, grew up here, lived here for over 40+ years, have great friends that grew up in Richardson and many great friends that live there currently (I even go to church IN Richardson and hang out with friends that live IN Richardson at their houses drinking beer). It is exactly as I described. People hanging out in their backyards or wherever on their property and drinking beer with friends and neighbors. Trust me, they DO! They do NOT meet up in nice restaurants and bars to socialize with neighbors. Have you actually been to any of the bars IN Richardson? LOL!!! That is funny now as WW Fairfields is coming to mind, HAHAHAHAAHA!!! They are FAR from being "upscale" or even considered "nice". About the nicest "bar" atmosphere IN Richardson is at Humperdinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I find this tread to be quite funny. Seems some folks find it offensive to drink beer and shoot the breeze with the neighbors. Richardson is not made up of the wine and cheese crowd. They are not beyond drinking a American beer. Arlen could be a neighborhood in 90% of the DFW. Folks have really brainwashed themselves into believing they are beyond this kind of socializing.

Can you imagine their shock when they find my friends house in Richarsdson with a HORSESHOE PIT! We are talking a custom home w/ a pool as well and they hang out shooting the breeze w/ friends & neighbors while drinking beer and throwing horseshoes.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 AM

175 posts, read 303,941 times
Okay - everyone in King of the Hill holds a blue collar, industrial-type job, and the town is portrayed as largely blue collar. Richardson is home to a Tier-III research institution and has a large number of college educated residents - its also home to a Whole Foods, something you certainly won't find in a backwater town.

Yes, I've been to several restaurants in Richardson as well as several bars, and always got a very solidly middle/upper-middle class (but educated) vibe. I'm not trying to be offensive but the imagery is just not consistant....

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Dallas is a very cosmopolitan city that has a large number of transpants itself
Where could I get a pair of transpants? are they european?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
OMG - when I move I need a 2nd fridge for the garage? One more expense to factor in, lol.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Okay - everyone in King of the Hill holds a blue collar, industrial-type job, and the town is portrayed as largely blue collar. Richardson is home to a Tier-III research institution and has a large number of college educated residents - its also home to a Whole Foods, something you certainly won't find in a backwater town.

I'm not trying to be offensive but the imagery is just not consistant....

No kidding sherlock. Yet the people have the SAME friendly attitude that people in neighboring Garland, Plano, Carrollton, Dallas, etc do. They STILL hang out in their yards drinking beer and shooting the breeze w/ their friends & neighbors.

Have you EVER even spent any amount of considerable time IN Richardson and actually KNOW people that live there? It is fine if you don't want to believe those of us that actually DO. We are just trying to tell you that your opinion or "imagery" of the fine folks of Richardson is severaly flawed. Just because there is a place called TI and a pretty good college as well as a nice grocery store does NOT make it immune suddenly from people wanting to just hang out in their backyard while drinking a beer and talking to the neighbors.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM

175 posts, read 303,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Where could I get a pair of transpants? are they european?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
OMG - when I move I need a 2nd fridge for the garage? One more expense to factor in, lol.
Honey, we ALL have the "garage fridge". Even the fine folks in Richardson have a "garage fridge". And yes, even the Baptist have the "garage fridge".

Oh heck, I should probably invite our friend from San Antonio that thinks the folks of Richardson are so high class to our good friends annual 4th of July pool party. OHMY!!! Would they ever be in for a shock His perception of Richarson would NEVER be the same.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
Quote:
I'm simply stating that standing outside at a neighbor's backyard with a can of (presumably down market) American beer after work is not part of the culture of a largely upper-middle class suburb like Richardson. That's just not an element of the social dynamics in a city where the majority of the population hold a college degree and are employed in professional jobs.

In Richardson, I'd expect the residents to meet up at a nice restaurant or bar after work, while enjoying appetizers and a glass of wine or a bottle of imported beer. That's my perception of Richardson, and I was simply stating that the perception of the folks on King of the Hill does not fit the image I've personally seen of the city.
The very reason I miss Texas so much is that this, what you said up here, makes no sense to us. Who are we putting on a show for? Why waste our money buying beer that's more expensive that's usually not that much better? Why waste our precious family time hauling our butts to a nice restaurant, leaving our kids with someone else, when our kids can stay with us and we can have more fun in our own backyards? My husband has his degree in Classical Languages with a focus on ancient Greek, speaks 6 other languages in addition, and builds custom spanish style classical guitars. We've traveled all over the world. And guess what? We'd rather hang out in our backyard with good friends and drink a "down market" beer than put on airs about how fancy we are and how we only drink micro-brews or a complex glass of pinot noir. And if we ever make it back to DFW, guess where we plan to live? Richardson.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
The very reason I miss Texas so much is that this, what you said up here, makes no sense to us. Who are we putting on a show for? Why waste our money buying beer that's more expensive that's usually not that much better? Why waste our precious family time hauling our butts to a nice restaurant, leaving our kids with someone else, when our kids can stay with us and we can have more fun in our own backyards? My husband has his degree in Classical Languages with a focus on ancient Greek, speaks 6 other languages in addition, and builds custom spanish style classical guitars. We've traveled all over the world. And guess what? We'd rather hang out in our backyard with good friends and drink a "down market" beer than put on airs about how fancy we are and how we only drink micro-brews or a complex glass of pinot noir. And if we ever make it back to DFW, guess where we plan to live? Richardson.

Well come on.

I totally agree. People w/ money realize how hard it is to work for it. They are not going to wastefully spend it on going out to drink the same beer they can have at home for 1/4 the price AND WITH FRIENDS! No waiting for a table or waiter to get you a drink. Kids all getting to meet the neighbors and play OUTSIDE! Neighbors all getting to know each other. One coming in late from work and being called over to have a drink w/ the others. It is right there at your doorstep and no "airs" needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas