Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 24,503 times

Advertisements

I'm a pretty "socially progressive" Canadian who does yoga and shops at the healthfood store. Would I fit into Lakewood? Or would M streets be better. I am a stay-at-home mother so finding other stay-at-home parents that will be open to a liberal non-Texan is a concern for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
Either one would be just fine. One of the yoga places is located somewhat right between those two places near the far south end of Lake Highlands. The area around Abrams and Northwest Hwy is suppsed to be getting a TOTAL overhaul. Like entire older apartment complexes getting torn down and the older strip centers to make room for a giant "town center" type development.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:44 PM

45 posts, read 85,447 times
Default Prices

My wife and I, (also on the progressive, health food store, yoga, public transp..preference side) are also coming to Dallas. We're also interested in the M Streets and Lakewood. How is the real estate market in these areas? Will there be any depreciation like in other parts of the country? If they are expected to appreciate, my concern is that I don't want to waiste a year renting before the prices just get too high to buy. We will be first time buyers.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:16 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,565,948 times
Dallas didn't have the big runup like other areas of the country. I think real estate is solid here. We don't get the double digit appreciation either.

There are two new Whole Foods planned in the area you are looking at - one in the heart of Lakewoods; one at Park Place (a flagship store at 90K sq ft) in an amazing new mixed use development. There is a Central Market just north of the M streets area at Lovers Lane and Greenville. So, either location should offer organic shopping. The Krogers in the M street area was just overhauled to compete with Central Market and has a much larger focus on fresh produce - it's really worth checking out, very nicely done.

Prices in the M streets and Lakewood are roughly in the $170-180/sq ft area. The M streets is famous for it's small (1200-1500 sq ft) tudors - truely amazing homes.

I think you'd be happy in either location. Since the M Streets location is closer to Central, it may be a little more accessible - but just by a few minutes... and if you get too close to Central, you hear it.

As first time buyers, I would strongly suggest ensuring you save a good chunk of cash for after you move in. These areas have many older homes (with oodles and oodles of character). Older homes tend to need more repairs. With our relatively high electricity costs, I would suggest evaluating the HVAC system and attic (or wall) insulation levels (as some homes during this period didn't have wall insulation at all). Just something to think about... a 10-15 year old HVAC system - let's say an 8 to 10 SEER air conditioner - is quite inefficient. You can replace them with a 15-18 SEER unit and actually halve your electricity bills in the summer (or more if the insulation is inadequate) that will easily completely pay for the entire unit in 5-7 years. We just had an old 10-SEER (it was high efficiency 17 years ago when it was installed) that was undersized (was 4 tons, but had sticky valves so it was actually only about 3 tons functionally) with a new 16-SEER, 5-ton unit. Our bills plummetted. Our HVAC guy is really down to earth - if you need one when you get here, feel free to ping me.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:26 AM

45 posts, read 85,447 times
Awesome. Thanks so much for your reply. When we buy will definitely look into a new AC if it doesn't already have one. We'll probably rent for 6 months if we can find someone to give us a lease that short. I start going to work next Monday, so it will be tough to buy right away without having been in the area first.

It sounds like there will be no shortage of healthy food around.

When I look at google maps, it looks like white rock lake is near that area as well, would you say a couple of miles? Is that area a good area to walk your dog?

I guess I can find out these answers when I get there, but just trying to collect as much info as possible. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:55 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,565,948 times
There's a dog park on Mockingbird that is on the north end of the lake. Part of the most recent bond package included funds to improve the existing dog park also - I believe it was related to improving water access for the dogs and parking.

White Rock Lake (aka WRL for reference) is an awesome area. If you're into health food, I will assume you are into exercise. WRL has a trail around it. One loop is about 9.5 miles. You will see many MANY cyclists, runners, bladers, walkers, etc at the lake - especially on Saturdays and Sundays. Awesome lake and is non-motorized.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
Lakewood has more multi-generation families who have strong ties to certain churches, but I think you would be welcomed warmly no matter what your creed. At Woodrow Wilson High we elected an agnostic (son of a shrink) our class president back in the 1970s. Most people in the area support the diverse public schools, which is a switch from some of the other areas.

You will see a lot of Democrat signs around the area. I saw a map once of political contributors and Lakewood was probably a bit more Republican than Democrat but it was close. Old East Dallas was more Democrat. North Dallas/Park Cities are almost all Republican. There are a lot of different neighborhoods but I would say some of the more Democratic would be Lower Greenville area (below M Streets) and Hollywood Heights - also Swiss Avenue, Munger Place and Junius Heights Historic Districts.

There is a real variety of incomes and net worths but it's not always the richest person in the biggest house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas