Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:22 PM

494 posts, read 1,342,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthInfoTech View Post
I have relatives ALL OVER North Carolina and know the state VERY well. So it is SERIOUSLY breaking news for me to hear a conservative feels like they are a "fish out of water" in NC. :-) New York, California or Massachussetts I could see .... but a conservative feeling like they are a "fish out of water" in NC? Wow! That is breaking news to me. True, the larger metro areas (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, etc) may not be hard-core conservative, but they are so FAR from being hard liberal, either. I am just really shocked to hear a conservative feeling out of place in NC. I am sorry to hear you don't feel at home in Charlotte (I actually LOVE the area, as compared to other places, I found Charlotte to be quite moderate overall). I know people in Charlotte, the county Charlotte is in (Mecklenburg), as well as Charlotte's suburban counties of Union, Gaston, Cabarrus and York, and there are conservatives (and liberals) scattered throughout the area. So sorry to hear you felt out of place there.

Best wishes to you and your family in TX . . .

The Charlotte area has changed SO much in the past 3-4 years...we have defiinitely turned blue!! Bet you have not been here in a few years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNC View Post
The 3 C's of NC:

Charlotte
Chapel Hill (& Durham I guess)
Cary

the only liberlism in the great state of NC...lol...Charlotte is growing and everyday with transplants, so I definitely understand the moderate to liberal feeling there. Chapel Hill is probably the most liberal area along w/Durham

The interesting thing about NC is that conservatives there = Democrats not necessarily Republicans. Conservative Democrats (who traditionally vote Republican on national elections) are so rampant and still in existence. That's how Jesse Helms kept getting re-elected.......

Nevertheless, $800-1.3 will get you any where pretty much in DFW. Maybe the Park Cities even. Thats probably the nicest area and they have one of the best if not the best school district in the state of TX. Well educated population, SMU flankers one side & Turtle Creek the other. Tons of parks, ponds and very family oriented, especially in the schools. Heavy overly zealous parent involvement. A socially Republican, wealthy zip code, Also, they have lots of trees in that area, something I'm sure you will want coming from NC....tons of trees, not pines in particular, but trees nevertheless.

But in terms of that price scale it would comfortably get you into atleast University Park maybe not Highland Park in terms of home size. Southlake is caparable, more new money & transplants compared to the Park Cities but both are nice. Think Myers Park/Southpark area in Charlotte in terms of the Park Cities area here Dallas. Old money, WASPY, country club crowd, etc. And Ballantyne in Charlotte = Southlake in Texas.
WOW...great information!! Thank You!!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:01 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
We are thinking of making a move next summer. We are Conservatives and are starting to feel like fish out of water here in Charlotte. Can you recommend areas around Dallas where we might feel at home...good schools and neighborhoods are a must.

Right now, we are looking at West Plano...Frisco...Richardson.

Thanks for any advice that you may have!!!
Highland Shores, Flower Mound and maybe Southlake should be up there with Plano and Frisco. In fact most of the burbs would be considered conservative. Actually I am not sure the areas you are looking into are as conservative as the NW and west part of the metro plex.

I posted before seeing your price range, I would consentrate on Southlake as well as areas not mentioned like Double Oak and some of the small towns just west of FLower Mound or even west Flower Mound itself.

Nita

Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNC View Post
what is your price range for a home? do you work? there are several suburbs that fit your criteria, just a matter of where & what you want.

that pretty much will zero in on where to look in DFW, in terms of commuting to DFW airport, shopping, etc. traffic DOES play a bigtime role, esp mentally. you might not mind commuting but believe me, that can change once you get here. lol

the areas you noted above are all fairly nice, more 'city burbs' and dense populations. Richardson is bit more older, so you might not find as much newer construction in that area as a whole compared to W Plano & Frisco. I think you should just tour these areas. You will likely see that they really don't differ in terms of surroundings. You can never tell which suburb you're in in DFW anyways...lol. They pretty much all mesh into one another. But I think the feel of certain areas will give you an indicator as well as the vibe in neighborhoods, etc. But price $$$, job commute and amenities all play a part

Southlake, Coppell, Trophy Club, & Flower Mound/Highland Village are also nice areas as well with bike trails, lakes, natural features bordering them & are family oriented communities w/a conservative to moderate feel
I had forgotten about Coppell and all the places you mention are convenient to the airport.

Nita

Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,388,219 times
For that price range I would look in Highland Park/University Park and use the Highland Park Independent School District or live in Preston Hollow (where George Bush lives) and use private schools or live in Southlake in the Carroll Independent School District.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 PM

54 posts, read 196,149 times
We are in Rockwall and feel it is the perfect conservative community for us. Great schools, small town, shopping, Lake Ray Hubbard, near I 30. Check it out.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 PM

57 posts, read 168,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
The Charlotte area has changed SO much in the past 3-4 years...we have defiinitely turned blue!! Bet you have not been here in a few years!
Honey, I was just there in Charlotte four weeks ago. LOL! I stand by my view. The Charlotte area has grown a lot, but there are still plenty of conservatives (and liberals) there. Out of the seven largest counties in the Charlotte area (Mecklenburg, Gaston, Union, York, Cabarrus, Iredell and Rowan Counties), SIX of the 7 main counties (Gaston, Union, York, Cabarrus, Iredell and Rowan) ALL went for McCain (Mecklenburg is the only one of the SEVEN that went blue). And they went for McCain HEAVILY (nearly 60% went for McCain in these SIX surrounding counties). That doesn't sound very blue to me.

Again, best wishes in TX. You might want to note though that Dallas County, TX went blue . . .

Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
Quote:
Honey, I was just there in Charlotte four weeks ago. LOL! I stand by my view. The Charlotte area has grown a lot, but there are still plenty of conservatives (and liberals) there. Out of the seven largest counties in the Charlotte area (Mecklenburg, Gaston, Union, York, Cabarrus, Iredell and Rowan Counties), SIX of the 7 main counties (Gaston, Union, York, Cabarrus, Iredell and Rowan) ALL went for McCain (Mecklenburg is the only one of the SEVEN that went blue). And they went for McCain HEAVILY (nearly 60% went for McCain in these SIX surrounding counties). That doesn't sound very blue to me.

Again, best wishes in TX. You might want to note though that Dallas County, TX went blue . . .
And Collin County is red as red can be! The OP should hightail it to Allen, I've never met a Democrat from Allen.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks everyone you have been so helpful...I've been checking out the NW and really like what I see. Well, my husband is going for business in 2 weeks and I'll have a list for him to check out until I can tag along!

HealthInfoTech...I am right on the Meck/Union Line surrounded by New Yorkers...maybe why I feel like I am living in Blue!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,347,805 times
Quote:

And Tarrant County is trending that way itself. Also, be mindful in choosing where in Collin County (since that's where it's best to go to if you're looking for a conservative area). Because the closer you are to Dallas County, the more you'll be surrounded by Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas